<1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  mistykz
      mistykz
Re: top 10 Utada songs of all time and favorite album
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Favorite album is a toss-up between Distance, TITO and Heart Station, it kind of depends on my mood at the time.

Top ten songs, in no particular order:
Sakura Drops
Passion
FYI
Colors
Beautiful World
First Love
Distance
Heart Station
Hikari
Traveling

It's really hard to narrow it down to 10, I feel like that list should be much longer lol
Posted on: 2010/10/10 17:32
  •  UtadaHikaru124
      UtadaHikaru124
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Miami
1-Blue
2-Hymne ? l'amour ~愛のアンセム~
3-Heart Station
4-Kiss & Cry
5-Celebrate
6-Wings
7-For You
8-One Night Magic
9-日曜の朝
10-FYI

Fav Album
*Ultra Blue
Posted on: 2010/10/10 18:44
  •  Project_Hikaru
      Project_Hikaru
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 18
Favourite Album:

Ultra Blue

Favourite Songs:

1. Kiss&Cry

I can't put this in any order they are all just as good

letters
sakura drops
travelling
goodbye happiness
deep river
stay gold
colours
hayatochi
movin' on without you

Notiable mentions

take 5
show me love
automatic
heart station
this is love
keep tryin'
one night magic
wings
eclipse
Posted on: 2011/5/15 16:56
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
The best album is ULTRA BLUE!

01. Blue
02. Show Me Love
03. This One
04. Stay Gold
05. Deep River
06. Wings
07. Me Muero
08. Dirty Desire
09. Parody
10. Amai Wana
Posted on: 2011/5/16 0:24
  •  AY04
      AY04
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 18/M/TX
favorite album: ULTRA BLUE

1. simple and clean/hikari (live)
2. time will tell
3. goodbye happiness
4. BLUE
5. prisoner of love
6. parody ( unplugged version)
7. automatic
8. passion/sanctuary
9. kremlin Dusk
10.hotel lobby

all her songs are amazing these are just in my head atm <3
Posted on: 2011/5/16 1:43
  •  ThePassportRadio
      ThePassportRadio
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I am usually lurking around this website, but I saw this thread and figured I had to share my opinion, lol! so I made an account. :) Hullo all. Please read this. It took a lot more time than I expected -sob-...

I think DEEP RIVER, musically, is easily the best album of Utada's. It's such a wonderful mix of RnB/pop, with this oriental, experimental, enchanted-forest like vibe. And then on top of all that is the emotion, grace, and dedication that Utada puts into all her efforts. It's beautiful, really. (:

But I don't own that album, and I don't think I should judge it based on the fact I've listened to all the songs on youtube. I think it's very different listening to the tracks all one after another on an album, because it creates a mood, and all of the songs are relative to each other.

I have First Love, Exodus, Ultra Blue, Heart Station and TITO, and I believe I'm not the first when I say that it was hard choosing between Ultra Blue and Heart Station. Heart Station has this sober, mature feel throughout the entire album, whereas Ultra Blue is like this colourful world of both shades and rainbows.

I think I'd have to say Ultra Blue though. It's so full of this enormous nostalgia... and that's an emotion I hold with me every day.
Each of Ultra Blue's songs have these beautiful synth or instrumental melodies that flow throughout the entire song, and they add so much for me. I only dislike 'This is Love' and 'Kairo'... both of which depend on my mood.

Anyway. Enough of my rambling.

1. Hotel Lobby - This is art. It's so dark and cold during the verses with that weird rumbling sound in the background (its almost like a muffled roar), that distances you from the song. And then the chorus starts, and this beautiful cascade of vocals sweeps down, and it just feels so inviting. But when you listen to the lyrics, it feels a lot less homely. It's about this woman craving for an escape from this lonely, enclosed reality; I think it's just so true to Utada. And when the outro arrives, it's finally warm and accepting, and almost hopeful. :) I love it.

2. Final Distance - I will always have a soft spot for this song. It's so touching and beautiful, and the string arrangement is phenomenal. It's Utada's most emotional song... I think we've all felt that distance sometime in our life. It makes you feel, so much.

3. Niji-iro Basu - I think every single person in the world can relate to the last couple of words in the song..

Daremo inai sekai e, watashi wo tsuretiette - Take me to a world where there is no one. Everybody feels the same!

And you can interpret those lyrics in whichever way you want; the song is ambiguous enough to let you do so. I often feel, when all the world is colliding in front of me, I just want to escape our reality and be transported to a world where everything is right, where I'm alone to be free and be myself. The way the song builds into that... its incredible.

4. Heart Station - I'm a BIG BIG BIG fan of ambiance and synth, so this song is a must in my top 10. It's such a pop melody, pop feel... but it doesn't quite fit into modern pop, and neither the pop of the 80s or beyond. It's very much like a dreamy crossover between the two. It feels so warm... and there are such subtle changes throughout the song that I love to hear. The ending especially with her radio-like vocals is just beautiful. :)

5. First Love - ... Self-explanatory aha. There is no time of day when this song isn''t perfect. I used to be all, ZOMG RNB, POP, EWWWWW, but I grew up a bit and realized its such a wonderful song. I'm 16... why can't I make music like this. :(

6. Passion/Sanctuary ~Closing/After the Battle~ - I used to absolutely adore Passion/Sanctuary, but for some reason I haven't listened to it in awhile. I still love the songs though... but the after the battle/closing versions are absolutely out of this world. They have Utada's absolute best vocals, and it might be even more emotive than Final Distance. It makes me feel so hurt, yet so hopeful. It's easily Utada's most graceful song.

7. Making Love - Am I really the only one who thinks this is an ABSOLUTELY underrated song? I've never gotten over the fact that the awesome drum beat in the beginning of the song is never repeated, and therefore serves almost no purpose within the song. However, the rest of the song and its progress is absolutely beautiful. It's like a story... a distanced couple in love, fighting for it... a lonely woman who wishes desperately to keep the relationship together... then she can't help but move on when there's no hope for this relationship. It's so melancholic, as its wrapped around the idea of a doomed relationship. And some have expressed confusion as to why 'Dareka No Negai Ga Kanau Koro' is played directly after... I think it's like a flash back within the narrative of the album; she mentions that she can remember the distant piano in the background, but she has to wake up from this dream. And then the piano comes in suddenly, after a small crash in the song. It's very artsy and I like artsy.

8. Kremlin Dusk - Such a wonderfully dark song. The world has analyzed this song too many times for me to add another. But man the lyrics to this song is the best Utada has ever written.

9. Letters - Has always been a favourite of mine. Sometimes I get tired of it, but I always end up listening to it again sooner or later. I love the lyrics and her vocals.

10. Arashi No Megami - New favourite of mine. I love the key changes she adds, it's so different from any of her other songs, and she experiments with it a lot more. It
definitely shows her growth as a musician, and demonstrates her knowledge of how music works. It's very pop-rockish and yet maintains Utada's grace and skill.

Honourary mention goes to: Give me a Reason, on the first love album. It's such a well crafted song. I love it. :)
Does nobody else agree? D:

AND THERE. That's my list. Thanks for reading. :)
Posted on: 2011/5/16 15:10
  •  LilMissPocket-Size
      LilMissPocket-Size
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Man this is difficult lol
1.BLUE
2.Simple & Clean( of course because this is the 1st song I heard by her!)
3.Sanctuary
4.Hayatochi Remix
5.Be My Last
6.Final Distance
7.Nichiyo no asa(one of those relaxing songs)
8.Stay Gold
9.Traveling
10.One Night Magic
Posted on: 2011/5/21 21:24
  •  LilMissPocket-Size
      LilMissPocket-Size
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
man I forgot Arashi No Megami , dang it..this is so hard!
Posted on: 2011/5/21 21:25
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
My favorite album is.... uhm D: I like them all...gosh, this is tough 0_o I guess I'll stick to Deep River tho... xD

Top 10 in a rather specific order XD

1. Goodbye Happiness
2. Final Distance
3. Colors
4. 光
5. Heart Station
6. BLUE
7. traveling
8. Passion
9. テイク5
10. Can You Keep A Secret

honorable mentions: Making Love, 日曜の朝,海路, Fight The Blues, Stay Gold, Parody, Eternally, サングラス, Deep River, SAKURAドロップス, This Is Love, Letters, Keep Tryin', Prisoner Of Love, Celebrate, Beautiful World, Kiss & Cry, 虹色バス, Flavor Of Life, 嵐の女神, Show Me Love (Not A Dream), Addicted To You, 言葉にならない気持ち,...

IT'S ENDLESS lol エンドレス♬リピート♪
Posted on: 2011/5/22 8:57
  •  zunecrazy
      zunecrazy
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/ Male / Miami FL
This will probably be way harder than it seems. But I shall try!

In order (1 being the best)

10)Goodbye Happiness
9)Stay Gold
8)Keep Tryin'
7)You Make Me Want To Be a Man
6)In My Room
5)Letters
4)Goodbye Happiness
3)Colors
2)Be My Last
1)Prisoner of Love

Favorite album...that's just brutal. Close tie between Heart Station and Ultra Blue (although I strongly believe she was at her best with Deep River)

Fun fact (that gets me shunned on occasion) I don't like First Love and consider it somewhat overrated.
Posted on: 2011/5/23 1:57
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>