•  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re: First Breakthrough Asian Artist...
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

yoursonnetmylove wrote:
Charice?

She's not THAT well known. She's had her spots here and there but she has yet to do anything that has been fully accepted.

She is good, though I saw her on OPRAH!!! and Pbs.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:25
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Unfortunately I believe America does not take Asian artists seriously. If you've ever noticed, in America, we only have Caucasian, Black, and Hispanic artists. For some reason, these are the only people we listen to. Why is that?

To be honest, it's the population's fault. America (the people) aren't all culturally diverse, therefore they do not recognize that other ethnicities are just as equal as theirs.

Music should no know color (ethnicity) but unfortunately, it does in America.

P.s.
This is just how I feel, so please no hate replies.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 12:33
  •  cantneverdidnothing
      cantneverdidnothing
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 18 / M / Indonesiaaaa...
Quote:

barried wrote:
Yes Michelle Branch is Eurasian by ethnicity.

I still don't get what "Asian" really means in the title. Asian by ethnicity, Asian based, or Asian born artist? If the later one is used, then Utada will never be the "Asian Breakthrough" in USA, because she was born in USA

I think that we should emphasize on "Asian by ethnicity", meaning that the particular artist is 100% Asian, with no Caucasian/African/Hispanic blood. But even under this category there are classifications.

For the "Asian-based", there is Kyu Sakamoto with his "Sukiyaki" song which became a huge hit in the 60s (#1 in the US)

For the "Asian-American", there is Jocelyn Enriquez (parents are immigrants from the Phillipines) who had a string of dance hits in the US (some charted within the Billboard Hot 100)

For "Asian-born", there is of course Anggun, whose "Snow on the Sahara" song (and its French version, "La neige au Sahara") charted in some 30 countries across the globe (or perhaps more) from 1997 to 1999. It reached #1 in Italy and Spain, amongst other countries that I don't know...
Posted on: 2010/4/20 18:50
  •  cantneverdidnothing
      cantneverdidnothing
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 18 / M / Indonesiaaaa...
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Unfortunately I believe America does not take Asian artists seriously. If you've ever noticed, in America, we only have Caucasian, Black, and Hispanic artists. For some reason, these are the only people we listen to. Why is that?

To be honest, it's the population's fault. America (the people) aren't all culturally diverse, therefore they do not recognize that other ethnicities are just as equal as theirs.

Music should no know color (ethnicity) but unfortunately, it does in America.

P.s.
This is just how I feel, so please no hate replies.

Well here's a love reply because I think you're so true.

Even Hispanic artists didn't really take the spotlight until the late 90s/early 2000s.

I'm not sure whose fault it is... but that's just the way it is. Will it ever change? Well, never say never.

My take on it is that, black people in the States have their own culture. So are the Hispanics. Their cultures are more singular in themselves, which is different with the Asians. In Asia alone, each region has its own culture. There is a Middle Eastern culture, South Asian culture. In East Asia you have Japanese, Chinese, Korean cultures. Ditto in Southeast Asia. Asian culture is a lot more plural, in the States you can't just put all these cultures in one room and 'singularize' it... know what I mean?
Posted on: 2010/4/20 19:02
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
If it isn't Utada then I don't want to know becasue nobody else deserves to be the first breakthrough other from Utada in my book.
She was born in America, speaks the language fluently and writes all her own music unlike the One Hit Wonder Girls.
not to mention she has 100X better voice then all 4 combined and her songs are better then anything that those 4 girls team of producers and songwriters can ever dream up.

If you're going to insult the Wonder Girls, please make note that there are 5 members, FIVE. And, last time I checked, "Nobody" hit #79 on the billboard charts.

Don' care if there have 50 members they are still a poor man's korean spice girls that have very little talent and are all style over substance, don't we have enough of that here in the US?
Also they have very little chance of breaking through in the states even if they are trying to ride the coattails of another woefully overrated and talentless band like the Jonas Brothers.

Nobody cares that there song got to #79.
Big deal.
Utada was in iTunes Top 10 albums for a week and her song Come back to ME featured on MTV and VH1, I think those are bigger achievements then having your song peak at 79 for one week on the billboard charts.
pffft.

Utada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wonderbout Girls

P.S: This is an Utada forum so all other artists are fair game to make fun of and insult don't take it personally.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 11:39
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
If it isn't Utada then I don't want to know becasue nobody else deserves to be the first breakthrough other from Utada in my book.
She was born in America, speaks the language fluently and writes all her own music unlike the One Hit Wonder Girls.
not to mention she has 100X better voice then all 4 combined and her songs are better then anything that those 4 girls team of producers and songwriters can ever dream up.

If you're going to insult the Wonder Girls, please make note that there are 5 members, FIVE. And, last time I checked, "Nobody" hit #79 on the billboard charts.

Don' care if there have 50 members they are still a poor man's korean spice girls that have very little talent and are all style over substance, don't we have enough of that here in the US?
Also they have very little chance of breaking through in the states even if they are trying to ride the coattails of another woefully overrated and talentless band like the Jonas Brothers.

Nobody cares that there song got to #79.
Big deal.
Utada was in iTunes Top 10 albums for a week and her song Come back to ME featured on MTV and VH1, I think those are bigger achievements then having your song peak at 79 for one week on the billboard charts.
pffft.

Utada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wonderbout Girls

P.S: This is an Utada forum so all other artists are fair game to make fun of and insult don't take it personally.

Um, first of all, the Spice Girls are poor anyway, Wonder Girls are an upgrade.
Second, iTunes isn't Billboard, so it's not that much of an achievement
Lastly, Nobody was performed on two highly rated television shows. Yeah, Utada performed on t.v. too, but once on GMA...while the credits were rolling and on KTLA, both with a FAKE band. Also, they opened for crowds of thousands and are now headlining their own tour.

So, please, comeback with something stronger.

p.s. I Utada to the max, but I'm just pointing out the facts. So no hate replies, please, just credible defenses.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 12:01
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Calling America "not culturally diverse" is not an opinion, it is actually a lie - you honestly think Japan is less homogenized than America?????? If you add up all of the minorities in the US, their population is almost as large as that of the majority (caucasian). The same is NOT true for most Asian nations. We're not dealing with opinions here, we are dealing with facts, and you are lying when you say American is not culturally diverse.

On another note, an entire generation of girls growing up in the 90's were DEFINED by the Spice Girls. The Wonder Girls are NOT an "upgrade" from that - your entire argument is, once again, based on a lie. Stop lying.

Frankly, I don't like the Wonder Girls. I think they all sound like sheep. In fact, I think Utada is the only Japanese singer I've heard (including Ayumi and BoA) who doesn't sound screechy. That's why Utada is the only Japanese singer I like: she's the only one who sounds remotely pleasant.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 15:21
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

Alex0821 wrote:
Calling America "not culturally diverse" is not an opinion, it is actually a lie - you honestly think Japan is less homogenized than America?????? If you add up all of the minorities in the US, their population is almost as large as that of the majority (caucasian). The same is NOT true for most Asian nations. We're not dealing with opinions here, we are dealing with facts, and you are lying when you say American is not culturally diverse.

On another note, an entire generation of girls growing up in the 90's were DEFINED by the Spice Girls. The Wonder Girls are NOT an "upgrade" from that - your entire argument is, once again, based on a lie. Stop lying.

Frankly, I don't like the Wonder Girls. I think they all sound like sheep. In fact, I think Utada is the only Japanese singer I've heard (including Ayumi and BoA) who doesn't sound screechy. That's why Utada is the only Japanese singer I like: she's the only one who sounds remotely pleasant.

Let me just say that when I say 'America is not culturally diverse' I was meaning music wise, not the population. And, IT IS AN OPINION, look up the definition please. I'm not dumb, and I can see. I know the population of America is diverse, I think it's the MOST diverse. Before you go calling people the childish term "lier", please check yourself. If you thoroughly read my post then you should have comprehended the fact that I was talking about the music, not the people.

And second, my argument wasn't against the lame Spice Girls, it was about comparing the Wonder Girls and Utada's American career. But, since you want to talk about the Spice Girls, they came to America in 1996, so there was only a four year "defining" period, as you mention. They also went on a hiatus in 2001, basically breaking up. Now, they have pathetic "reunions" here and there.

And lastly, your last paragraph is completely an OPINION. 'We're dealing with facts here', REMEMBER?
Posted on: 2010/4/21 15:44
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Hitting #79 for one week is not really an achievement. It's a start, but it didn't last for long. I wouldn't call that a "long career" ahead of them in the U.S. Unless they churn out more songs that actually are hits among the rest of the population besides their Asian fanbase in the U.S., they are not going to be breakthrough artists. Lady Gaga became popular due to her unique and eccentric image and infectious songs. I don't see anything special with "Nobody". Sure it's catchy at first, but gets repetitive and boring fast. Plus it's far from being memorable. Furthermore there's nothing distinct about the girls. They seem like clones of each other manufactured by JYP. Sunni drops out and he immediately recruits another girl from his factory. They don't write any of their songs and they have limited range. That you can't deny. To be frank, I don't link them and I don't think they deserve to represent Asian artists in America and they won't break out. That's MY opinion, Jeremi.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 15:57
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>