Poster Thread
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re: First Breakthrough Asian Artist...
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:
Hitting #79 for one week is not really an achievement. It's a start, but it didn't last for long. I wouldn't call that a "long career" ahead of them in the U.S. Unless they churn out more songs that actually are hits among the rest of the population besides their Asian fanbase in the U.S., they are not going to be breakthrough artists. Lady Gaga became popular due to her unique and eccentric image and infectious songs. I don't see anything special with "Nobody". Sure it's catchy at first, but gets repetitive and boring fast. Plus it's far from being memorable. Furthermore there's nothing distinct about the girls. They seem like clones of each other manufactured by JYP. Sunni drops out and he immediately recruits another girl from his factory. They don't write any of their songs and they have limited range. That you can't deny. To be frank, I don't link them and I don't think they deserve to represent Asian artists in America and they won't break out. That's MY opinion, Jeremi.

I fully respect your opinion, but,do you know why he recruits from his "factory"? Do you even know much about how Korean and Japanese groups are formed? It's by these "factories" of which you speak. They take in people at a young age and train them vocally and in dancing. Out comes talented individuals. Anyone can write a song, but how many can sing them? In these "factories" people "graduate", which they are tested, and are formed in a group.

How do you think Rain got his musical start? Se7en too? And also, so many people's beloved TVXQ (DBSK, Tohoshinki) was formed like this, too.

And as far as the Wonder Girls representing, noone needs that. The door just needs to be opened for other Asian artists to make that, too. Lastly, you talk about unique and eccentric image, but does anyone else? Even Utada?
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:13
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:
Hitting #79 for one week is not really an achievement. It's a start, but it didn't last for long. I wouldn't call that a "long career" ahead of them in the U.S. Unless they churn out more songs that actually are hits among the rest of the population besides their Asian fanbase in the U.S., they are not going to be breakthrough artists. Lady Gaga became popular due to her unique and eccentric image and infectious songs. I don't see anything special with "Nobody". Sure it's catchy at first, but gets repetitive and boring fast. Plus it's far from being memorable. Furthermore there's nothing distinct about the girls. They seem like clones of each other manufactured by JYP. Sunni drops out and he immediately recruits another girl from his factory. They don't write any of their songs and they have limited range. That you can't deny. To be frank, I don't link them and I don't think they deserve to represent Asian artists in America and they won't break out. That's MY opinion, Jeremi.

I fully respect your opinion, but,do you know why he recruits from his "factory"? Do you even know much about how Korean and Japanese groups are formed? It's by these "factories" of which you speak. They take in people at a young age and train them vocally and in dancing. Out comes talented individuals. Anyone can write a song, but how many can sing them? In these "factories" people "graduate", which they are tested, and are formed in a group.

How do you think Rain got his musical start? Se7en too? And also, so many people's beloved TVXQ (DBSK, Tohoshinki) was formed like this, too.

And as far as the Wonder Girls representing, noone needs that. The door just needs to be opened for other Asian artists to make that, too. Lastly, you talk about unique and eccentric image, but does anyone else? Even Utada?

Jiremi it's obvious that you think that wonder girls will break through and that's YOUR opinion... and some of us don't and we say why we think so... that' our opinion

Some of us see wonder girls as "produced" idols and not self made artist... (artist like Utada and YUI)

as for the first asian break through it wont be wonder girls... why? BECAUSE THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN ASIAN BREAKTHROUGH... didn't you read the some of the previous post that mentioned asian artist that have been hits?

and if writing lyrics and producing your own music was that easy then why doesn't every artist do it?...not everyone has that ability... oh and yea Utada doesn't just write and produce she can also SING IT... so idk why you're even making such useless argument that singing is more important than producing.

So what if they're trained for years? that's a system that japanese and korean artist companies may follow when "producing" the "next big thing" but that doesn't actually make them any better than artist who: 1) haven't had training for years 2)can write and produce their own and BETTER MUSIC.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:31
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
When I said an eccentric image, I was only referring to Lady Gaga and how she got popular. I did not say everyone needs an eccentric image to succeed. Please read carefully what I'm saying. What i'm saying is that any Asian artist who wants to break into the American market needs something distinct about him / her and the right promotion to get far. Who knows? Maybe the Wonder Girls will break out. But what I'm saying is that unless they produce actual hits, they won't break through. Exposure is not enough. And they need to make music that Americans would actually take seriously. And I apologize for my diction. I didn't mean to say "representative". But that they have not acted as doors yet for Asian artists to break through.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:35
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

aquaticdragons wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:

Jiremi it's obvious that you think that wonder girls will break through and that's YOUR opinion... and some of us don't and we say why we think so... that' our opinion

Some of us see wonder girls as "produced" idols and not self made artist... (artist like Utada and YUI)

as for the first asian break through it wont be wonder girls... why? BECAUSE THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN ASIAN BREAKTHROUGH... didn't you read the some of the previous post that mentioned asian artist that have been hits?

and if writing lyrics and producing your own music was that easy then why doesn't every artist do it?...not everyone has that ability... oh and yea Utada doesn't just write and produce she can also SING IT... so idk why you're even making such useless argument that singing is more important than producing.

So what if they're trained for years? that's a system that japanese and korean artist companies may follow when "producing" the "next big thing" but that doesn't actually make them any better than artist who: 1) haven't had training for years 2)can write and produce their own and BETTER MUSIC.

Those Asian artists were of Nationality, I'm talking Far East Asia. Please tell me one Asian artist who had
1. an #1 single on the Billboard Charts, the charts that count
2.a #1 album on the Billboard Charts and
3.Who've had a major Nationwide tour
I'm positive you can't name one. That is what I mean by braekthough, NOT just 'oh, they've released a cd in America'.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:39
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:
When I said an eccentric image, I was only referring to Lady Gaga and how she got popular. I did not say everyone needs an eccentric image to succeed. Please read carefully what I'm saying. What i'm saying is that any Asian artist who wants to break into the American market needs something distinct about him / her and the right promotion to get far. Who knows? Maybe the Wonder Girls will break out. But what I'm saying is that unless they produce actual hits, they won't break through. Exposure is not enough. And they need to make music that Americans would actually take seriously. And I apologize for my diction. I didn't mean to say "representative". But that they have not acted as doors yet for Asian artists to break through.

Then't haven't even started, to be honest. We can only see when their album is released. You make a good argument, though, and I understand what you mean.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 17:43
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Well it's your opinion then and I respect that. I personally am not a fan of the Wonder Girls, but if they do become well-known here I'll be happy for them that they are able to accomplish that. But we'll not know until then. Therefore, I guess I shouldn't judge now.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 19:36
  •  Sylfi
      Sylfi
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 15/Male/Cali
Quote:

barried wrote:
Kyu Sakamoto, Anggun, t.A.T.u., Rain, Michelle Branch, Aishwarya Rai, Shahrukh Khan, Yael Naim, Carmit Bachar, and others are the first ones and they are way long before Wonder Girls

Psst, you forgot Pink Lady. XD

Just to establish, we're talking about a breakthrough in America, right?

Kyu Sakamoto and Yael Naim are just one hit wonders. Kyu Sakamoto reached #1 for one week and was never heard from again. Same thing happened to Yael Naim, except that she didn't even reach #1.

Aishwarya Rai and Shahrukh Khan are just Bollywood actors, not singers. Plus, they never broke through to begin with.

Michelle Branch and Carmit Bachar are of mixed Eurasian descent (Both are part Dutch) born in America, so they don't count. Besides, Bachar was just in the Pussycat Dolls as a background vocalist.

t.A.T.u were famous for all of about a year. No one remembers them. Plus, they're from the European part of Russia (Moscow).

Rain? Well, he does have a tiny but rabid fanbase, and he was in two American movies (which tanked, HARD), but I hardly call that a breakthrough.

Who do I think will make it? Either Wonder Girls or Charice. Why? Wonder Girls have the Jonas Brothers writing their songs and promoting them. Charice, on the other hand, has Iyaz and Oprah. Pyramid is already getting play where I live, and people are noticing it because it features Iyaz. Oprah is also supporting Charice by letting her perform on the show and also debuting her album.

Who am I hedging my bet on? Charice. R&B is much more radio friendly than girl group bubblegum pop right now, so Charice has a good shot.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:05
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Personally I would love to see BoA do the biz in the US.....BoA is the only non native Japanese to have two, million + selling albums in Japan and is only one of two performers to have seven consecutive studio albums debut on the Oricon charts, BoA like Hikki she does not take success seriously...and seems to enjoy life ...
Edit: My friends Ling favorite ....
Posted on: 2010/4/22 6:54
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:
Personally I would love to see BoA do the biz in the US.....BoA is the only non native Japanese to have two, million + selling albums in Japan and is only one of two performers to have seven consecutive studio albums debut on the Oricon charts, BoA like Hikki she does not take success seriously...and seems to enjoy life ...
Edit: My friends Ling favorite ....

BoA's English cd (for my taste in music) was great. Unfortunately, most of her performances of the songs off the album were done in Japan. Even her first ever performance of Eat You Up.

I support BoA! I bought both cd's!

I honestly don't care who's the first breakout Asian star as long as we have one!

POWER TO THE ASIANS!!!
Posted on: 2010/4/22 12:01
  •  chibiten
      chibiten
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Charice's international debut album is No. 8 on the Billboard 200. ;)

http://www.dailyworldbuzz.com/charice-billboard-200-pyramid/54518/

Please support her...she could open a lot of doors for other Asians. :)
Posted on: 2010/5/19 18:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>