Utada may withdraw from the US

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...11>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Utada may withdraw from the US
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Shanghai, China
Translated news. I found this and was shocked so I translated it into English. It's an article on the Japanese newspaper ?Tokyo Sports? on May 20, 2010.
The newspaper: http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/touspo.php?tid=137
The original article in Japanese: http://newsgs.blog121.fc2.com/blog-entry-98.html
This translation kinda sucks.
========================================================================
Utada Hikaru a.k.a. "Diva of the world" is working mainly in the US in recent years. But actually whether there's a contract extension for her still remains uncertain.

Utada's contract with Universal in the U.S. began with the debut album "Exodus" in 2004. The second album "This is The One" was released last year, followed by the world tour. It seems she is working steadily into the world market.

However, a person connected with the western music industry said, "Utada received quite poor ratings in the US. It's unknown if she will be able to continue her work in the US after this summer."

With albums released and concerts held, she is doing well apparently. But "the so called concerts were held in places which are just a little bit better than live houses. And in those places you can have some food while watching just like in a dinner show." he said.

"Universal didn't take any part in the live concerts this time. Everything was done by Utada's management company. If it's related to the record company, it should be large-scale. As a stakeholder in America said, "In a state that they can do things without permission". Universal seems to begin to be tired of both Utada herself and her management company." he said.

It's reported in Japan that "She sells well in the US too". But "in fact, in the US many CDs were returned. She sells well in Japan but in the US market she does badly beyond expectation."

It's said that the contract will end after the release of the second album and now it's time for the record company to choose whether to renew the contract with her or not.

"Considering the reception of the concerts, maybe there is no contract for her to sign next year." the person said.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 10:21
  •  marcocsb
      marcocsb
Re: Utada may withdraw from the US
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
The problem is that Hikki is trying to hard to be a pop sensation on the US, TITO is the least album i like of Hikki, she should stick with her unique japanese style because i think she lost (not actually lost but must of us were expecting a lot more from TITO) fans and gains almost no new audience.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 10:34
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
EDIT: On Utada's blog (5.13) she said she ran into a TV Station guy she knows. I'm pretty sure this guy is on Japanese television. So I'm guessing she's already in Japan and has been there for quite some time now. Also, she mention the Cherry Blossoms blooming.

Quote:

marcocsb wrote:
The problem is that Hikki is trying to hard to be a pop sensation on the US, TITO is the least album i like of Hikki, she should stick with her unique japanese style because i think she lost (not actually lost but must of us were expecting a lot more from TITO) fans and gains almost no new audience.

She gained more fans than lost. Think about it, did Exodus reach #69 on the Billboard charts? No. That means WAY more people bought TITO than Exodus which means more fans. If she lost fans because of TITO, were they really fans to begin with?

Quote:

irbk wrote:
But "the so called concerts were held in places which are just a little bit better than live houses. And in those places you can have some food while watching just like in a dinner show." he said.

"Considering the reception of the concerts, maybe there is no contract for her to sign next year." the person said.

Did this person not know that the "House of Blues" are very popular places to hold events? Even the most successful person at the moment, Lady Gaga, had concerts there. It's common among upcoming artists to perform there.

Lastly, the reception of the concerts were great. She sold out ALL of the dates.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/5/19 10:50
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

marcocsb wrote:
The problem is that Hikki is trying to hard to be a pop sensation on the US.

No she didn't.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 11:02
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
Quote:

marcocsb wrote:
The problem is that Hikki is trying to hard to be a pop sensation on the US.

No she didn't.

Agree. She's doing her own thing. What I think they meant was trying to be more mainstream.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/5/19 11:08
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I wouldn't be surprised if IDJ doesn't bother renewing Utada's contract, not so much because her music is bad or because she isn't reaching an audience, but because she has shown very little motivation in "making it big," which translates to very little profit for the record company, which doesn't provide them with incentive to continue producing and distributing her music. Utada has done minimal promotion, not nearly enough for an essentially "new" artist, and she doesn't seem to have pushed herself in the direction a mainstream record company like IDJ would want her to. She hasn't made herself marketable.

As for TITO's sales, as I see it, Utada has been hit with very bad luck during both her endeavors in the US market- "Exodus" was met with too many flukes on the record company's side because IDJ was in shambles; "This Is The One" was facing an economic recession and, at the height of its popularity and hype, promotions were put on an indefinite hiatus because of Utada's illness.

I will say that this article is probably accurate in the ultimate result of Utada's work here, which has been more or less wish fulfillment for existing fans and not so much an expansion of Utada's musical career, but it seems to be completely mistaken as to why- particularly in relation to the success of the concerts, which were hugely successful all things considered. For a "new" artist with an album that had made minimal headway in the mainstream market to lead a sold out tour (that probably didn't cost the record company very much in the first place) is fantastic news. IDJ may have its head too far up its arse to see the potential it proves Utada has, but that would be their mistake, not hers. If they could get her some decent promotional billing (whatever happened to that Ellen DeGeneres international artist feature? why didn't they jump all over that? why haven't they contacted a single popular music magazine? why have they been relying almost entirely on niche Internet communities that probably threw themselves out there to get a few quotes from Utada if they were expecting blow-out sales?) maybe they would see more of the green, but until IDJ proves its worth as a record company and takes some risks (as every record company must do with a new artist) I'm not ready to set the weight of blame wholly on Utada's shoulders.

EDIT: On that note, I'd like to make this addendum; I think "This Is The One" is a great album and I've definitely gotten some Utada fans from having people listen to it. In pop music, however, there are many distractions, and any artist that fades from the spotlight risks losing their audience. While I will always listen to Utada because I follow her whichever side of the Pacific she may be on, many of the fans "This Is The One" has managed to garner will lose interest pretty quickly, especially if they never thought to buy the album. Utada hasn't been placed in front of people enough to be recognizable much less popular. So the blame here lies with the promotion of her music- NOT with the music itself. Just wanted to make sure it's clear that that's what I was saying. :3
Posted on: 2010/5/19 12:35
  •  joeri
      joeri
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L not telling! :)
Boa has more succes then utada, and that is for a reason.

her (utada's) english music just sucks, it is hard to hear for utada fans (like myself) but it is the truth.

Bioa on the other hand has nice music that you can actually dance on that is where utada lacks...talent i suppose..

i dont mind if she never makes an english album again her japanese music is way better anyway (although it has been better ) and she quits when she is 28 so its almost done for her...
Posted on: 2010/5/19 13:06
  •  Sakura'10
      Sakura'10
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/Male/Portugal
Aw, that's sad. It's horrible that Hikaru hasn't been having the success she should in the USA. Personally, I love her English songs, Kremlin Dusk, Devil Inside, Exodus '04, Come back to me, Dirty Desire just to name a few, but I do prefer her Japanese songs. So I wouldn't mind at all if recorded Japanese albums only! She should just stick to Japan, period! Her US fans will love her anyway.
Posted on: 2010/5/19 13:58
  •  marcocsb
      marcocsb
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
I agree, i don't like the songs from TITO, they are just too common, like any other english pop song from the US that's why i think she didn't have the success expected, it is tough to compete with other pop artists like Lady Gaga (her music sucks but it's very popular). What i like about Hikki's music is the instrumental arrangements so TITO was a let down to me and that's my opinion.

Don't lie to yourselves, Was really TITO what you expected?
Posted on: 2010/5/19 14:00
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Quote:

joeri wrote:
Boa has more succes then utada, and that is for a reason.

her (utada's) english music just sucks, it is hard to hear for utada fans (like myself) but it is the truth.

Bioa on the other hand has nice music that you can actually dance on that is where utada lacks...talent i suppose..

i dont mind if she never makes an english album again her japanese music is way better anyway (although it has been better ) and she quits when she is 28 so its almost done for her...

"Bioa"'s album didn't even chart in the top 100. "Biao" had no tour in the US. "Bioa"'s songs did not reach the radio positions that Utada's song did. "Bioa"'s so called "Engrish" career turned her into a tired, drained-looking lesbian creature. Utada doesnt lack talent. She writes her music. "Bioa" doesnt even write and when she does, it's crappy ass shit like "Identity"

That said Utada will never succeed here. She just doesnt try. I wish she would but if she isn't happy doing it, then so be it. At least we still have her Japanese work.

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2010/5/19 20:15
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...11>