LoBFCanti
Re: Utada may withdraw from the US
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

marcocsb wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:

Agreed; I think this is key to any future success Utada will have in markets outside of Japan. She has to start promoting herself based on her appeal as an INTERNATIONAL music phenomenon- not writing for an "American" audience or a "Japanese" audience but for a global audience.

I think with TITO people felt let down because Utada proved that she could write and sing with the best of the mainstream, but to her existing fans...that isn't very impressive. We expect her to make an art that is all her own, which is, perhaps, a misplaced expectation; I think the intention behind TITO and the reception of it were very different. For Utada, and the way I personally view TITO, the album was an exploration and redefining of her roots after taking so many steps into the experimental- from "Deep River" onward, persistently. I think Utada wants to avoid feeling contrived and in order to do that she has to remind herself of the rote basics at times. The timing for this exercise just happened to conveniently coincide with an English-language release. For her listeners, I think it was harder to swallow. The transition from "Exodus" to "This Is The One" is not exactly smooth, but if you put it into the context of her larger body of work, it makes a lot more sense. Perhaps this is just me reading too much into TITO in order to justify it because I shamelessly adore it, but we all know Utada is in a constant mode of discovery and play and curiosity. I think she's also intelligent enough to know when she needs to step back and ground herself to some kind of foundation. In that regard, she could have done far, far worse than TITO.

I couldn't agree more, i'm not Japanese but i like way more her work for japanese audience rather than her work for american audience and i think that's the case for most of her fans worldwide, so yeah she should focus on international audience. She should focus on the kind of people that really appreciates music and not on americans that only listen to hot girls music.

Wut?This is also happening in South Korea and Japan right now.It's really not that different from our market,it's just not changing as rapidly.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 9:39
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 Male VA
I, for one, definitely prefer Utada's English music. I'm not really that much into J-Pop so if she decides to stop recording music for release here, I'll be a bit disappointed.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 10:02
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

marcocsb wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:

Agreed; I think this is key to any future success Utada will have in markets outside of Japan. She has to start promoting herself based on her appeal as an INTERNATIONAL music phenomenon- not writing for an "American" audience or a "Japanese" audience but for a global audience.

I think with TITO people felt let down because Utada proved that she could write and sing with the best of the mainstream, but to her existing fans...that isn't very impressive. We expect her to make an art that is all her own, which is, perhaps, a misplaced expectation; I think the intention behind TITO and the reception of it were very different. For Utada, and the way I personally view TITO, the album was an exploration and redefining of her roots after taking so many steps into the experimental- from "Deep River" onward, persistently. I think Utada wants to avoid feeling contrived and in order to do that she has to remind herself of the rote basics at times. The timing for this exercise just happened to conveniently coincide with an English-language release. For her listeners, I think it was harder to swallow. The transition from "Exodus" to "This Is The One" is not exactly smooth, but if you put it into the context of her larger body of work, it makes a lot more sense. Perhaps this is just me reading too much into TITO in order to justify it because I shamelessly adore it, but we all know Utada is in a constant mode of discovery and play and curiosity. I think she's also intelligent enough to know when she needs to step back and ground herself to some kind of foundation. In that regard, she could have done far, far worse than TITO.

I couldn't agree more, i'm not Japanese but i like way more her work for japanese audience rather than her work for american audience and i think that's the case for most of her fans worldwide, so yeah she should focus on international audience. She should focus on the kind of people that really appreciates music and not on americans that only listen to hot girls music.

Excuse you, I'm an American and I do not listen to hot girls music. The same thing is going on in the Asian pop market. Watch what you say your comment is offensive.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 10:25
  •  Hikkis1in1million
      Hikkis1in1million
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 13/F/UK
About Time. I Think Utada's Japanese Works Are Better. And Americans Are Less Into The Story Behind The Songs She Made In Her Exodus And TITO Days. Exodus Was A Failure Due To Everyone's Impression Of Easy Breezy (But The Album Was Great! And Showed Off Hikki) And Then TITO Was A Failure Because..Well She Was Trying To Hit Mainstream Too Hard. Her Japanese Works Are Better In My Opinion - Because The Message Is Clear And Isn't Always With A Funky R&B Beat.

The Flavor of life, The Flavor of life ~
Posted on: 2010/5/20 10:30
  •  Editor
      Editor
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Awww... Too bad it may come to an end. On the other hand, maybe she could make more Utada Hikaru quality music under another label. Seriously, compare the artistic masterpieces that are Deep River, Dareka no Negai Ga Kanau Koro and Prisoner of Love to anything on TITO. Don't get me wrong, I like TITO, but it has nothing on the lyrical quality of any of her Japanese music... and Kremlin Dusk.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 11:35
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Whoever wrote that article does not fully understand that selling out the Fillmore (her NYC venue) is a dream come true for most artists. It's not a "dinner and a show" place at all - it's a typical indie concert hall that's hosted the likes of Sara Bareilles, Vanessa Carlton, The Academy Is..., and other artists that aren't HUGE like Britney, but were still doing quite well for themselves when they performed there. If they decide not to renew her contract, it will be DESPITE her tour, not BECAUSE of it.

What BoA did that Utada could have tried is make music more suited for the dancefloor, which is the direction American pop is headed in right now (thanks in large part to Lady Gaga). Dirty Desire wasn't really a dance song, even though it was upbeat, which is why it never went that far. That said, BoA is not particularly successful here, either.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 11:45
  •  marcocsb
      marcocsb
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

Excuse you, I'm an American and I do not listen to hot girls music. The same thing is going on in the Asian pop market. Watch what you say your comment is offensive.

Hey i didn't say all americans, i said "americans that listen to hot girls music" not "americans, that listen to hot girls music. Utada tried to hit big in america, tried to be mainstream but almost all mainstream singers are hot or at least show some flesh like lady gaga and their music is not that good. Hikaru has said that she is not like them but she is trying to get into the same market.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 11:53
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

DEEPRlVER wrote:
Quote:

joeri wrote:
Boa has more succes then utada, and that is for a reason.

her (utada's) english music just sucks, it is hard to hear for utada fans (like myself) but it is the truth.

Bioa on the other hand has nice music that you can actually dance on that is where utada lacks...talent i suppose..

i dont mind if she never makes an english album again her japanese music is way better anyway (although it has been better ) and she quits when she is 28 so its almost done for her...

"Bioa"'s album didn't even chart in the top 100. "Biao" had no tour in the US. "Bioa"'s songs did not reach the radio positions that Utada's song did. "Bioa"'s so called "Engrish" career turned her into a tired, drained-looking lesbian creature. Utada doesnt lack talent. She writes her music. "Bioa" doesnt even write and when she does, it's crappy ass shit like "Identity"

That said Utada will never succeed here. She just doesnt try. I wish she would but if she isn't happy doing it, then so be it. At least we still have her Japanese work.

You should get an award. Everything you said was true.

It doesn't sound like joeri is a fan at all.

BoA didn't exactly compromise creativity however.The US album was just terrible;It didn't come as a complete shock that it sounded the way it did.Identity wasn't as fail as I thought it be either.Though I must say I'm not in love with the album.BoA's US album was outsold by TiTO by 6,000 copies.TiTO sold only 17,000.The odd thing is...I feel Utada has nothing to show for it.BoA's album tanked but I still know more people that are completely unfamiliar with East Asia's music scene that know "Eat you up" than I do that know any of Hikaru's US works.BoA's album ranked #127 on top 100 vs. TiTO's #69,but it proceeded to out rank TiTO on dance and heatseekers charts.

Utada had an album and 4 games worth of promotion.I think BoA did ok considering that Utada only sold 6,000 more albums.Ok by means of East Asia artists in our market,those sells are still jank.Little Dragon and La Roux are doing better here than Utada & BoA's USA sells combined.I simply don't this East Asia can do it.I actually don't want them to break through here.I like being able to sit on stage because their is no room for the other 23 people that came to a small venue to see the artist.It's not hindering their careers at all,they are going for international success after they've reach it in their native regions.

And umm...since when is BoA bi?Did you assume this because she performed at the Gay Pride Parade?It's called exposure.She performed at such a large "controversial" event to gain exposure.Her hair cut is not butchy all either.I think it's very nice.And if this is even about the Eien video,get over yourselves.

"Everything" might not have been the right word. There were exclusions that I did not mention. I know BoA's not bi or lesbian, nor do I have an opinion if she was. It's not my business. I personally like BoA's English CD. I bought the original and the deluxe when they came out. I support BoA in her English career (she's continuing it, which I can't wait for!). I agree with you, I like BoA's hair now, too. It suits her, but I don't think DEEPRIVER literally meant BoA's a lesbian because of it. What happened in "Eien" ? And also, I've seen the performance you mentioned and she did great.

And my last thought is, I just don't think American's take Asian singer/rappers seriously. It's a shame.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/5/20 12:44
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
My take on this whole thing is this:

I feel, with all honesty here, that Utada's In The Flesh tour only sold out because fans were buying the tickets. I've heard people both on here and other sites say they bought tickets for one or more shows. I think that since In The Flesh was a sold-out concert, no other people, such as those who randomly go to gigs to see a newer performer didn't get the chance to see her.
I'd say about 95% of the tickets sold for In The Flesh were by fans, and not others, which is why I see In The Flesh as a bit of a flop, because she couldn't draw in new audiences with fans buying all the tickets.
Not that I'm trying to be nasty in this comment, it's just how I see it.
And as someone stated earlier, yes, This Is the One was not as I expected it to be. It did try too hard to please the mainstream, but with the mainstream all about showing less clothing, and having less musical sense (Call me rude boy-boy, anyone?), Utada was never really going to succeed.
And no doubt, Utada is an extremely talented artist. She puts in so much effort into the songs she produces, and there's no doubt others aren't wowed by her. But this is how society sees it, if a singer isn't completely in the spotlight of the music industry, being pushed down people's throats, they will not get noticed, simple. And I feel that Utada really lacked in wanting to promote This Is the One, which is the reason I feel it was not a big of a success as it could have been. And people are less likely to listen to music they've not heard before, or are told about an unfamiliar artist, it's somple ignorance that's our own worst enemy here.
Sure, TItO isn't as in-depth or personal as some of her other albums, but the talent and dedication of time is definitely there, but Utada's lack of enthusiasm for wanting to actually break the market, and the awful time to fall ill just made it so that TItO wasn't a big success.

But all in all, Utada will definitely keep making music for Japan, I can see that very clearly, what with these rumours flying around she's been in the studio and whatnot, but I just wonder whether or not IDJ will see it fit to renew her contract. I wish they would, as new English songs would certainly raise both mine, and many of her English-speaking fans spirits to know she's not completely given up hope of one day receiving success for her remarkable, and one-in-a-million talent.
Posted on: 2010/5/20 13:03
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456...11>