General Utada Discussion
  Utada may withdraw from the US

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...3456789...11>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
Re: Utada may withdraw from the US (translation finished)
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Cheers to the end of a pointless detour. Let the Japanese work resume at last!

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2010/5/21 15:19
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
wow hikki does appreciate her fans...shes awesome XD
she did the tour just for her fans
maybe as a farewell to her english works..I really don't think she is going to go independent, there's not much of a point.
I hope she keeps making her awesome japanese music though, but if she does make new english music, i hope its more like her japanese works
Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:09
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
What I wonder about now is who was recording the NYC and London shows if IDJ or Universal weren't behind it?

Does this mean we wont be getting a DVD?
Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:57
Re: Utada may withdraw from the US
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
Quote:

luc2 wrote:
I'm feel so sad. T^T

Utada Keep Tryin' Tryin'

same here

i hope hikki doesn't stop making english music...

I LOVE U HIKKI !!!

i need to throw away my IDJ t-shirt asap...
Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:57
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

irbk wrote:
UPDATE: The translation of the missing paragraph was finally finished. And it turned out to be an even bigger surprise.

Quote:

irbk wrote:
"Universal didn't take any part in the live concerts this time. Everything was done by Utada's management company. If it's related to the record company, it should be large-scale. As a stakeholder in America said, "In a state that they can do things without permission". Universal seems to begin to be tired of both Utada herself and her management company." he said.

Thanks for the translation but I find that IDJ not supporting the tour far fetched. Why would a record label like IDJ pass up an opportunity to make money? They know Utada is huge in Asia especially in Japan, and that fans not only in the U.S., but around the world would attend the concert. IDJ even posted on its homepage all of Utada's concert dates. I don't think Utada's managment would've been able to book venues like The House of Blues, and The Fillmore, without the backing of IDJ. There were also cameras recording the NYC concert, and the last time I checked Utada does not have her own indie label to distribute the tour dvds. And I remember reading somewhere that IDJ offered Madison Square Garden as an option for the NYC concert, but Utada chose the Fillmore because she wanted a more intimate setting. Tours are not cheap you have to pay the band, travel expenses, the venue, and stylists. How could Utada's managemnet do all of that? I question the accuracy of this article.
Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:21
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
tired of Utada for actually trying to promote herself even just a little bit? wow

IDJ/Universal is very stupid, they dare make such comment even though they have never really done anything to promote Utada...

I don't think Utada hates making English music on the contrary I THINK a part of her wants to do it a lot more than we imagine(although IDJ probably annoyed her for it because they wanted to milk millions out of her). Remember, Utada didn't start by making Japanese music first, that only happened because the release of her first english album didn't happen since the record label went under.

I think that's one of the things that Utada has yet to accomplish, release an English album and go on full-scale promotion. Exodus, she was able to release it but no promotion whatsoever for that album. Utada did express in one of her interviews for TITO that with Exodus she was ready for promotions but nothing ever came from IDJ/Universal. Thus, for TITO she decided to get herself The Door to promote her. She was probably hoping that by producing a more mainstream album and by taking a step forward on promotions she could accomplish far more than she did with Exodus.

Although promotions were better for TITO, unfortunately due to her sickness and little interest that IDJ gave TITO, it didn't do as well. I most definitely think that she didn't want to give up on TITO after she had recovered and therefore her and her management probably decided that a tour would be a a good way of wrapping up the album or a chance to resume promotions (either way, Utada was very satisfied with the outcome).

IDJ/Universal is probably trying make it seem like their going to drop Utada, but do they really want to? Then why is dirty desire included in Just Dance Compilation after the success of In The Flesh?If anything I think Utada will not renew her contract and is definitely leaving IDJ/Universal because they have not met her expectations.

Well, this is just what I think.

Edit:

Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

Thanks for the translation but I find that IDJ not supporting the tour far fetched. Why would a record label like IDJ pass up an opportunity to make money? They know Utada is huge in Asia especially in Japan, and that fans not only in the U.S., but around the world would attend the concert. IDJ even posted on its homepage all of Utada's concert dates. I don't think Utada's managment would've been able to book venues like The House of Blues, and The Fillmore, without the backing of IDJ. There were also cameras recording the NYC concert, and the last time I checked Utada does not have her own indie label to distribute the tour dvds. And I remember reading somewhere that IDJ offered Madison Square Garden as an option for the NYC concert, but Utada chose the Fillmore because she wanted a more intimate setting. Tours are not cheap you have to pay the band, travel expenses, the venue, and stylists. How could Utada's managemnet do all of that? I question the accuracy of this article.

I see what you mean that it's questionable whether a tour would even possible without IDJ, however to book venues like House of Blues and The Fillmore you don't need really need to be IDJ status. In addition it's not hard to believe that they had nothing to do with the tour since they've done little to nothing for promotion. Or at least that's how I see it.

Oh that reminds me, why does the article insinuate that these venues are of poor quality...obviously that person is stupid to not that HOB and the fillmore are well known venues.

Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if IDJ doesn't bother renewing Utada's contract, not so much because her music is bad or because she isn't reaching an audience, but because she has shown very little motivation in "making it big," which translates to very little profit for the record company, which doesn't provide them with incentive to continue producing and distributing her music. Utada has done minimal promotion, not nearly enough for an essentially "new" artist, and she doesn't seem to have pushed herself in the direction a mainstream record company like IDJ would want her to. She hasn't made herself marketable.

I have to agree with you that she hasn't made herself appear marketable, but I still think that Utada probably does want to have the experience of releasing an english album and doing full-scale promtions regardless of the outcome, whether she would make it big or not.I think this is where the mismatch happens Utada is more concerned about the process of making music and for english albums she has proven to care about promotions (something I can't say she has done for her japanese albums)where as IDJ/Universal probably only care about the outcome. Her attitude about not caring if she makes it big or not is her most unappealing trait to her own company, which is probably why they didn't take the risk with her.

just my thoughts on this~
Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:37
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Imo she should leave IDJ and sign on with Capital-subsidiary of EMI or just let EMI release her english releases.
Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:07
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

aquaticdragons wrote:

Edit:

Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

I see what you mean that it's questionable whether a tour would even possible without IDJ, however to book venues like House of Blues and The Fillmore you don't need really need to be IDJ status. In addition it's not hard to believe that they had nothing to do with the tour since they've done little to nothing for promotion. Or at least that's how I see it.

Oh that reminds me, why does the article insinuate that these venues are of poor quality...obviously that person is stupid to not that HOB and the fillmore are well known venues.

quote]

I agree that the label didn't do much of promotion for Utada. But an 8 city tour with only your management backing you and not your label is extremely hard. I just don't see IDJ passing up an opportunity of profit.
Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:27
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

I agree that the label didn't do much of promotion for Utada. But an 8 city tour with only your management backing you and not your label is extremely hard. I just don't see IDJ passing up an opportunity of profit.

Well although the venues are well known, they aren't that big. The profit wouldn't be that big to begin and the tickets weren't that expensive either. So the tour probably wasn't made with the intention of making a lot profit since it was Utada and her management who arranged the tour. Plus I think Utada has enough money of her own to make the tour happen (and then reimburse herself with the profit of the tour?).

And I completely agree that she should move to Capitol or let EMI release her music from now on. She needs to leave IDJ ASAP, they are not doing a lot for her anyways.
Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:48
  •  KlumsyKremlin69
      KlumsyKremlin69
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I wonder how much a typical tour costs for popular acts ( say a Britney tour or some such with high levels of promotion at large arenas etc) ?
Posted on: 2010/5/21 19:05
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...3456789...11>