Trip To Tokyo! NEED HELP

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Trip To Tokyo! NEED HELP
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/California
A fellow Utadanet member(teiku_5) and I are planning a trip to Tokyo for New Years. It is our first trip, and I was hoping to get some advice from some of you who have been, or know about the region. If you have any suggestions..(hotels, shopping, sight-seeing, seasonal events, restaurants, etc.)

We are still speculating, but Shinjuku looks like a good place to stay, but we are totally open to whatever advice you wanna throw at us.
Well my friends, Fire Away!
Posted on: 2010/7/12 0:16
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
Re: Trip To Tokyo! NEED HELP
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Im going to be there for New Years too.

New Years in Japan is quiet compared to the states. No fireworks or a big loud celebration when the clock strikes 12. Maybe just a bell ringing. If possible, you should look for a place that serves some kind of traditional New Years food such as mochi, ozoni, etc. A lot of places are usually closed usually til the 3rd. A lot of people visit temples and shrines. You may wanna visit for experience but it will be crowded.

I especially love the t.v. shows during this season. There are a lot of specials such as the Kohaku.

I don't really know much about hotels. I lived in Japan and I'm staying at my mom's house when I visit.

Places I recommend are Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Kamakura, Minato Mirai, Asakusa, Tsukiji Fish Market, Harajuku.

Anyways have fun!

Edit:
They have a lot of ramen shops everywhere. I love getting ramen. Its fast and usually not too expensive. Izakayas are good at night for drinks (if you do drink). Also, check out supermarkets, convenience stores and 100 yen stores.
Posted on: 2010/7/12 0:30
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
try the Khaosan hostels, they're pretty cheap & their locations are ideal~ http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/

If you wanna buy CDs or books, try Tower Records (Shibuya there's the Hachiko statue where Hikki once took a pic FYI)

In case you're looking for cheaper second-hand stuff (usually in excellent condition, you can find rare limited stuff too!) try Book-off http://www.bookoff.co.jp/

Tokyo National Museum - a must see imo (which reminds me that I need to see the new exhibition, looks interesting )
http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?pageId=X00&processId=00

those are some of my suggestions, hope it's helpful~
Posted on: 2010/7/12 9:13
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:

New Years in Japan is quiet compared to the states. No fireworks or a big loud celebration when the clock strikes 12. Maybe just a bell ringing. If possible, you should look for a place that serves some kind of traditional New Years food such as mochi, ozoni, etc. A lot of places are usually closed usually til the 3rd. A lot of people visit temples and shrines. You may wanna visit for experience but it will be crowded.

I especially love the t.v. shows during this season. There are a lot of specials such as the Kohaku.

I don't really know much about hotels. I lived in Japan and I'm staying at my mom's house when I visit.

Places I recommend are Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Kamakura, Minato Mirai, Asakusa, Tsukiji Fish Market, Harajuku.

Anyways have fun!

Edit:
They have a lot of ramen shops everywhere. I love getting ramen. Its fast and usually not too expensive. Izakayas are good at night for drinks (if you do drink). Also, check out supermarkets, convenience stores and 100 yen stores.

How could you forget Akihabara? I haven't been to Japan yet, but I know that is an amazing place.

I wouldn't waste my time with Ramen, then you would be like Naruto xD. I'm just playing with the Naruto thing, but you could find Ramen almost everywhere outside of Japan. I got this thing about the Ramen from a guy who was born and lives in Japan, but I made the joke.
Posted on: 2010/7/23 16:49
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:

Anyways have fun!

Edit:

How could you forget Akihabara? I haven't been to Japan yet, but I know that is an amazing place.

I wouldn't waste my time with Ramen, then you would be like Naruto xD. I'm just playing with the Naruto thing, but you could find Ramen almost everywhere outside of Japan. I got this thing about the Ramen from a guy who was born and lives in Japan, but I made the joke.

Im not a big fan of Akihabara.
Posted on: 2010/7/23 17:38
Administrator
A/S/L
Book off is an awesome suggestion ... i loved dropping by there looking for Hikki cds i didnt have yet (i was specifically looking for the 8cm singles)

Shinjuku is a decent area to stay. The area between shinjuku and roppongi is really good, its near a bunch of embassies and consulates. I dont recommend the ikebukuro area for hotels. they seem cheaper, but are kind of ... umm not great. also its not the greatest area at night.

Oh, you might wanna take a look at hostels if u wanna save some money - the hostels slightly outside the city are the best

oh and Japan-guide.net is YOUR BIBLE!
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

depending how long u are staying, i also recommend getting a rail pass, you pretty much have unlimited travel on the bullet trains and other JR trains. This is the best way to quickly explore much of japan (if u schedule it right u can probably see almost all of japan in a week)
the cost of one week rail pass is almost the equivalent to buying just one normal return fare on the bullet train - so its a real VALUE (its sold only outside japan to tourists)

Twitter: @UtadaNet
Posted on: 2010/7/23 17:44
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

They're coming from the states (texas i see) - they need to try ramen in Japan (altho u need to really search out for the awesome ramen shops, but the standard is still better than 99.9% of ramen outside of japan). But not just ramen, sooooo much awesome food to try!
Visit osaka! goto a okonomiyaki restaurant with the teppanyaki tables. Get extra crispy takoyaki!

cheezu karreee (cheese curry)!
in tokyo i think u can try monjyayaki.
wake up really early and check out the tokyo fish market! then have the sushi breakfast there, the most amazing fish u will ever taste!
get awesome donburi(rice bowls) ...
and umm ... ya awesome bento from supermarkets (or if ur lucky bento stores)
Posted on: 2010/7/23 17:58
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/California
Thanks a_kikoo. I will be sure to tune in to the tv specials, let me know what your plans are if you want to meet up with some hikki fans and have a drink.
Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:12
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/California
Quote:

Kumachang wrote:
try the Khaosan hostels, they're pretty cheap & their locations are ideal~ http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/

If you wanna buy CDs or books, try Tower Records (Shibuya there's the Hachiko statue where Hikki once took a pic FYI)

In case you're looking for cheaper second-hand stuff (usually in excellent condition, you can find rare limited stuff too!) try Book-off http://www.bookoff.co.jp/

Tokyo National Museum - a must see imo (which reminds me that I need to see the new exhibition, looks interesting )
http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?pageId=X00&processId=00

those are some of my suggestions, hope it's helpful~

Thanks Kumachang! bookoff has really great stuff!
Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:14
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/California
Quote:

Q wrote:
Quote:

They're coming from the states (texas i see) - they need to try ramen in Japan (altho u need to really search out for the awesome ramen shops, but the standard is still better than 99.9% of ramen outside of japan). But not just ramen, sooooo much awesome food to try!
Visit osaka! goto a okonomiyaki restaurant with the teppanyaki tables. Get extra crispy takoyaki!

cheezu karreee (cheese curry)!
in tokyo i think u can try monjyayaki.
wake up really early and check out the tokyo fish market! then have the sushi breakfast there, the most amazing fish u will ever taste!
get awesome donburi(rice bowls) ...
and umm ... ya awesome bento from supermarkets (or if ur lucky bento stores)

OH MY GOD Q YOU HAVE MY MOUTH WATERING!! thanks for the suggestions, everything you mentioned sounds amazing!
Posted on: 2010/7/27 17:17
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>