Poster Thread
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Re: Resuming This is The One, please?
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:

It's been almost a year and a half. This album was not a proper showcase of her talent it was previously poorly/un- promoted. This would cost money to fix. Would you spend money let on new cover art, remastering and promotional campaign funds on something that gained any notice for a yr and a half? Let alone isn't probably charting anymore in targeted audiences countries?

I don't see why it'd be so bad to revive TITO promotion. Albums are already on shelves. There was no real promotion going on before besides the TV appearance at like 7 in the morning. (I don't think the Sephora promotions count because 95% of the people that attended were already Utada fans).

Honestly, I'm not sure if Utada wants to make it big in the U.S. I have a feeling she may be content with where she is now so there's not much reason to put any real drive in the American promotion.
Posted on: 2010/7/26 7:24
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
She really should make an English album that doesn't have anything personal/sexual if she wants real success. .

I didn't know Utada was making music for children.

Boku wa Kuma says sup.

I guess the sexual part makes up for her not being half naked. It is at least better that she isn't half naked.

I'm talking about how some songs could get out of hand. Poppin' is a good example, but that was an experiment I bet. Easy Breezy is a song that's never heard again by her. We need more songs like Devil Inside and Kremlin Dusk. Exodus was more creative, even though she made a bad first impression with Easy Breezy.

I admit there are a few great songs on TITO too, just not as much. That Mr. Lawrence song was a great song, because it was just a basic song. Come back to me was at least decent too, but she really shouldn't make a big deal about her cheating. That big confession on the radio wasn't really necessary because it is her life, and it isn't anyone else. She is still good because of her Japanese music, and she will always be an icon. She shouldn't be afraid to admit because she will be the best in Japan for a very long time. It will take so many ages before someone will outsell her in Japan.
Posted on: 2010/7/26 8:08
  •  cantneverdidnothing
      cantneverdidnothing
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 18 / M / Indonesiaaaa...
Quote:

quincye93 wrote:

I don't see why it'd be so bad to revive TITO promotion. Albums are already on shelves. There was no real promotion going on before besides the TV appearance at like 7 in the morning. (I don't think the Sephora promotions count because 95% of the people that attended were already Utada fans).

Honestly, I'm not sure if Utada wants to make it big in the U.S. I have a feeling she may be content with where she is now so there's not much reason to put any real drive in the American promotion.

Thank you for stretching my point, first of all.

I, too, think that Utada doesn't quite have the intention to "making it big" in the States. But at least she could expand her fanbase there, get more recognition in the press, have her music widely played, etc. Without a proper promotion, this will not happen. Exodus stood a great chance of doing that - even given the type of album that it is - but "Easy Breezy" really was a blunder. This is The One stepped in a better direction, but I don't know... "Come Back to Me" - a decent and pretty song that it is - just didn't quite cut it for me although it obviously made a better impression than "Easy Breezy", better, quite unexpected and daring actually, but still wasn't quite right.

I think that song just doesn't quite stand out, it sounds a lot like "We Belong Together" with subtler delivery. I think "Apple and Cinnamon" or even "On and On" would have been a perfect choice.

But let's not forget that the US market isn't the only music market in the world! I mean, she did some European promo for Exodus, it was even released in Brazil! So why not give other markets a chance, markets that would be more welcoming of her and her music? Europe and Asia would be the ones to go. She could expand her fanbase here in Asia that are perhaps a bit put-off by her Japanese works - as great as they are - because they don't understand the language.

Either resuming the promotion with the existing version of the album or also revamping the whole thing with altered tracklisting and or new artworks, I don't see why it would be so hard either...
Posted on: 2010/7/26 9:43
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
She really should make an English album that doesn't have anything personal/sexual if she wants real success. .

I didn't know Utada was making music for children.

Boku wa Kuma says sup.

I guess the sexual part makes up for her not being half naked. It is at least better that she isn't half naked.

I'm talking about how some songs could get out of hand. Poppin' is a good example, but that was an experiment I bet. Easy Breezy is a song that's never heard again by her. We need more songs like Devil Inside and Kremlin Dusk. Exodus was more creative, even though she made a bad first impression with Easy Breezy.

I admit there are a few great songs on TITO too, just not as much. That Mr. Lawrence song was a great song, because it was just a basic song. Come back to me was at least decent too, but she really shouldn't make a big deal about her cheating. That big confession on the radio wasn't really necessary because it is her life, and it isn't anyone else. She is still good because of her Japanese music, and she will always be an icon. She shouldn't be afraid to admit because she will be the best in Japan for a very long time. It will take so many ages before someone will outsell her in Japan.

As far as I'm concerned TITO was never explicit or overtly sexual. Utada is a grown woman with an adult and teenage fanbase its not something that we all haven't heard before. Poppin was sexual but far away from explicit. If she started to make songs that were explicit then I would agree with you. And I remember Utada saying that CBTM was never about her. Some of the best albums released were influenced by the artists personal life. I would rather Utada make a personal album straight from her heart than some emotionless crap.
Posted on: 2010/7/26 10:10
  •  kjazz
      kjazz
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
I liked TITO as it is part R & B and part Rock. It was a pop CD intended to build an audience but she got stuck in a world of a lot of pop women vocalists in a dying economy not great for artists unless you are the American Idol. It's too easy to get lost in the music industry that can't figure out how to sell it's music. Her music doesn't "fit" the radio play of rock stations and the R & B stations are only full of rappers. So a bit more difficult to promote it as something new and have it fit in. Fans of her J music will always follow her but breaking in to new markets is hard. Even though it's english, I bet most of the sales are in Japan and Asia where her popularity is strongest.
Posted on: 2010/7/26 22:14
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Looking at the viewing figure for ?Idol?, from an all time high in 2006 of near on 31 million, the show slipped to an average of 26.3 million over the five month broadcasting period in 2009, the Grand final chalked up 32 million ....

Ok taking these numbers into account, ?Idol? has a triple play....... BMG/Sony signs up any wannabee that has a pulse into the music business equivalent of modern day slavery...

http://www.eejlaw.com/materials/American_Idol_Contestant_Agreement.pdf

Fox TV has the sitting audience to guarantee the marketing and publicity, without recourse to servicing expensive marketing and PR contracts...and a Global TV franchise structure encompassing over 100 countries ....

could this format indicate the future direction of the music business???.....

And that before we start talking about the lucative spin off "Idol" tours ...

Utada would probably cut out her tongue rather than appear as a guest on American Idol...

TiTo?s physical CD sales (Japan) reached 242,657 (Oricon/RIAJ) and debuted at no 1 in the daily charts...

As a comparison Exodus sold 535.000 physical sales in its first week, reaching number 1 respectively, Exodus when on to sell 1.29 million units (Oricon/RIAJ) so breaking records for best selling foreign language album for 2004.

Simple case of swings and roundabouts ?.

Island signed Utada because any slack in the US market can be taken up and redeemed in Japan via Universal International?..Who have publishing right Globally to TiTo and Exodus...

Look we can huff and puff about TiTo?s lyrics , which after all are a matter of taste over substance, try and think of a artist that has ever suffered commercially from lyrics that are little more than abstract naughtiness .

The key factor for Utada's International career and taking into account Hikki is 27 hardly a pensioner seeking a free bus pass, is to attract and inspire a new audience, U3 have always had their sights focused on a crack at the American market ?Who knows 3rd time lucky ???...Well Maybe ...
Posted on: 2010/7/27 4:54
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Don't forget she was sick while promoting T.I.T.O, and start to re-promoting T.I.T.O again, after few months passed after TITO released. One of the reason why T.I.T.O didn't booming.
Posted on: 2010/7/27 21:38
  •  hikki_is_my_homegirl
      hikki_is_my_homegirl
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 30-US
TITO is a great album and Americans are closed minded. I think Hikki should rerelease this album with perhaps a dvd pack and do a bigger tour.. this album had awful promotion although its better than Exodus. But it seems like Def Jam doesn't give a damn and I bet it hurts Hikki that americans are responding well. It makes me sooooo mad that she doesn't get the attention she deserves. She is amazing, off topic it'd be cool if she did a english and japanese album together :)
Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:02
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Here's what I think:

"This Is The One" was a great album (it was the first Utada album I bought). To me, this album showed artistic growth because she's very talented (a word that other artists lacked nowadays), but her management handled it very poorly.

"Come Back To Me" was a great single to start out with, yet she should release more singles such as:

Apple and Cinnamon (this is a definite single-material)
Dirty Desire (to show off her sensual, sexy side without being over-the-top)
Taking My Money Back / This One (Crying Like A Child)
Posted on: 2010/8/10 13:51
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

Ruthymon wrote:
Here's what I think:

"This Is The One" was a great album (it was the first Utada album I bought). To me, this album showed artistic growth because she's very talented (a word that other artists lacked nowadays), but her management handled it very poorly.

"Come Back To Me" was a great single to start out with, yet she should release more singles such as:

Apple and Cinnamon (this is a definite single-material)
Dirty Desire (to show off her sensual, sexy side without being over-the-top)
Taking My Money Back / This One (Crying Like A Child)

I agree with everything you said. But, for the singles, I wouldn't mind "Poppin'". Even if it was a b-side.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/10 19:50
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12