Poster Thread
Re:
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

Q wrote:
LMAO at this comment on twitter:
Quote:
AutomaticTLC:
Utada has announced a break from music so she can be human and eat McDonalds. Japan is playing Utada clips like she died. #missyoualready

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:13
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Why are people so quick to suspect contracts being over and failing labels? Why can't people just accept the fact that Utada wants to take a break. It's not that uncommon. In America, singers take breaks all the time. Many release albums every 2-4 years and almost all feel deprived of a childhood or social life because of the business. Utada's doing what any other American singer does. Eventually, in anyone's career, they just need a break, time to reanalyze and focus. It's normal . Just be happy with the 12 years Utada has been entertaining us and finally let her have a moment for herself.

A contract being up doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it's up. I never said she's lying about the whole wanting to take a break, or that it's not a factor, because it is.

If she wanted to continue writing music in EMI, she would've renewed her contract right? Well she doesnt, she basically said so herself (she wants a break). I'm just saying she's most likely just finishing up her contract because she is releasing this Singles Collection v2 with some bonus tracks. Why else would she make it? If she's tired of music, she wouldn't be in the process of making new stuff lol.

What "failing labels"? We didn't even said that. Where'd it come from? Anyway, if an artist is signed into a contract there's always and end of it and you have to sign another contract if it ended and if you want to continue working with them. That goes not only for Utada.

@Canitoch:
She never said her contract was up, nor did she say she was tired of music. She is writing music, still, for EMI. Just because she's releasing a Single Collection Vol. 2 with bonus tracks, doesn't mean she's finishing up a contract. That's just what your friend speculates. It's common for bonus tracks to be added to a BEST (Singles in this case) album. That's what makes it worth buying. Also, the fact that Utada is going on this break for only-she-knows how long, she might feel like she should add new material for fans because of this sudden announcement. To end an era n a good note, ya know?

@soulhunter14:
Canitoch said:
Quote:
EMI is one of the worst record labels to be in since it's close to bankruptcy

That's what would be considered a "failing record label", right? Regardless if EMI is close to bankruptcy, it's clearly not the reason for Utada's break. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand why people can't accept Utada's reasoning for the break. No hard feelings, though. These are only opinions.

If her contract wasnt up you think EMI is going to let her sit there for years and not do anything? :p

Yes I do. She's been with them for 12 years now and is most likely their highest selling artist ever. Why not let her have a year or two off? Island basically let her have 5 years off. She wrote a couple songs between then.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:47
Re:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Why are people so quick to suspect contracts being over and failing labels? Why can't people just accept the fact that Utada wants to take a break. It's not that uncommon. In America, singers take breaks all the time. Many release albums every 2-4 years and almost all feel deprived of a childhood or social life because of the business. Utada's doing what any other American singer does. Eventually, in anyone's career, they just need a break, time to reanalyze and focus. It's normal . Just be happy with the 12 years Utada has been entertaining us and finally let her have a moment for herself.

A contract being up doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it's up. I never said she's lying about the whole wanting to take a break, or that it's not a factor, because it is.

If she wanted to continue writing music in EMI, she would've renewed her contract right? Well she doesnt, she basically said so herself (she wants a break). I'm just saying she's most likely just finishing up her contract because she is releasing this Singles Collection v2 with some bonus tracks. Why else would she make it? If she's tired of music, she wouldn't be in the process of making new stuff lol.

What "failing labels"? We didn't even said that. Where'd it come from? Anyway, if an artist is signed into a contract there's always and end of it and you have to sign another contract if it ended and if you want to continue working with them. That goes not only for Utada.

@Canitoch:
She never said her contract was up, nor did she say she was tired of music. She is writing music, still, for EMI. Just because she's releasing a Single Collection Vol. 2 with bonus tracks, doesn't mean she's finishing up a contract. That's just what your friend speculates. It's common for bonus tracks to be added to a BEST (Singles in this case) album. That's what makes it worth buying. Also, the fact that Utada is going on this break for only-she-knows how long, she might feel like she should add new material for fans because of this sudden announcement. To end an era n a good note, ya know?

@soulhunter14:
Canitoch said:
Quote:

That's what would be considered a "failing record label", right? Regardless if EMI is close to bankruptcy, it's clearly not the reason for Utada's break. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand why people can't accept Utada's reasoning for the break. No hard feelings, though. These are only opinions.

If her contract wasnt up you think EMI is going to let her sit there for years and not do anything? :p

Yes I do. She's been with them for 12 years now and is most likely their highest selling artist ever. Why not let her have a year or two off? Island basically let her have 5 years off. She wrote a couple songs between then.

I think you misunderstood Canitoch here. What I understood about what he said is that before the contract expires, they must do a project before they let go of Hikki.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:52
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Q wrote:
Quote:
AutomaticTLC:
Utada has announced a break from music so she can be human and eat McDonalds. Japan is playing Utada clips like she died. #missyoualready

Gotta love Japan for that one (for playing her clips) and AutomaticTLC for the amazing overview of what's happening. =D I guess that shows that she really is the Michael Jackson of Japan. She doesn't even have to die for people to mourn her absence!
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/11 10:53
Re:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Q wrote:
Quote:
AutomaticTLC:

Gotta love Japan for that one (for playing her clips) and AutomaticTLC for the amazing overview of what's happening. =D I guess that shows that she really is the Michael Jackson of Japan. She doesn't even have to die for people to mourn her absence!

Hilarious yet touching. lol.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 11:06
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
I had a nightmare last night where Hikki became an overrated fad in US. She was talked about a whole lot in the news. I pray to god that never happens.
Posted on: 2010/8/11 15:22
  •  mistykz
      mistykz
Re:
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Q wrote:
Quote:
AutomaticTLC:

And yet I spent 2 months over there this summer and heard not a peep about her, not even once. Interesting how things change so quickly :P
Posted on: 2010/8/11 16:11
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
I'm glad Utada has chosen to do this. After a whirlwind 12-year career, she needs a break to do the "real" things she wants to do.
I do however, think this could be a bad decision. I'm not saying she shouldn't do this sabbatical at all, she definitely deserves it, but with her gone for an indeterminable amount of time, I'd hate to see her slip from the spotlight all-together.
Things like this can completely ruin a person's career.
However, I do have hope in all of Utada's fans, not just on here, but worldwide too, will back her completely until her return, and welcome her back with open arms, ready to listen to what she has to bring out, and what she has to say about her time away from this career.
I definitely know I'll be holding out (and following her on Twitter and her blog posts) to see how she's enjoying this new freedom she's given herself.
Hopefully, upon her return, we can expect the same fantastic music that we have all grown to love and respect her for.
I wish Utada many happy returns and to enjoy herself whilst she's getting on with her life.
Posted on: 2010/8/11 17:06
  •  Canitoch
      Canitoch
Re:
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16/M/IN
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:

@Canitoch:

@soulhunter14:
Canitoch said:
Quote:

1 or 2 years yeah I can see the label not caring, but 5? With Island, Exodus was in 04, This is the One was in 09, 5 years apart, quite some time, where Island basically said (Utada said so herself) "Um when are you getting back and writing another album?" EMI, despite Utada's fame, is not going to let anyone be on contract for 5 years max (who knows if she is going to take that long to be on break) and not work. NO company of any kind is going to do that.
Posted on: 2010/8/11 20:59
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re:
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Detailed in a recording contract is a section entitled completion and release...it goes something like this.....?The recording/s shall be completed and prepared for release and distribution on or before (date agreed by both parties) whereupon the company and artist acknowledge that time is of the essence in the completion of the recording, and each agree to exercise all reasonable means to achieve such completion?.....all parties have to acknowledge binding agreement in the form of a covenant of good faith and fair dealing, ?the Company and Artist agree to perform their obligations under this Agreement, in all respects, in good faith?....

Nothing is left to chance....

So the question of EMI letting Utada ?have a couple of years off? doesn?t actually arise. .....

?I have no idea how long it gonna to be - 2 years or 5 years?...............For Utada to take full advantage of this hiatus and concentrate on those illusive ?human activates?, it makes perfect sense to complete any outstanding contractual commitments, ensuring a clean break so to speak,.....EMI can?t ill afford to take a wait and see approach, it?s the here and now that will determine the company future profitability..

Posted on: 2010/8/12 3:27
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456789>