Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Why are people so quick to suspect contracts being over and failing labels? Why can't people just accept the fact that Utada wants to take a break. It's not that uncommon. In America, singers take breaks all the time. Many release albums every 2-4 years and almost all feel deprived of a childhood or social life because of the business. Utada's doing what any other American singer does. Eventually, in anyone's career, they just need a break, time to reanalyze and focus. It's normal . Just be happy with the 12 years Utada has been entertaining us and finally let her have a moment for herself.

A contract being up doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it's up. I never said she's lying about the whole wanting to take a break, or that it's not a factor, because it is.

If she wanted to continue writing music in EMI, she would've renewed her contract right? Well she doesnt, she basically said so herself (she wants a break). I'm just saying she's most likely just finishing up her contract because she is releasing this Singles Collection v2 with some bonus tracks. Why else would she make it? If she's tired of music, she wouldn't be in the process of making new stuff lol.

What "failing labels"? We didn't even said that. Where'd it come from? Anyway, if an artist is signed into a contract there's always and end of it and you have to sign another contract if it ended and if you want to continue working with them. That goes not only for Utada.

@Canitoch:
She never said her contract was up, nor did she say she was tired of music. She is writing music, still, for EMI. Just because she's releasing a Single Collection Vol. 2 with bonus tracks, doesn't mean she's finishing up a contract. That's just what your friend speculates. It's common for bonus tracks to be added to a BEST (Singles in this case) album. That's what makes it worth buying. Also, the fact that Utada is going on this break for only-she-knows how long, she might feel like she should add new material for fans because of this sudden announcement. To end an era n a good note, ya know?

@soulhunter14:
Canitoch said:
Quote:
EMI is one of the worst record labels to be in since it's close to bankruptcy

That's what would be considered a "failing record label", right? Regardless if EMI is close to bankruptcy, it's clearly not the reason for Utada's break. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand why people can't accept Utada's reasoning for the break. No hard feelings, though. These are only opinions.

If her contract wasnt up you think EMI is going to let her sit there for years and not do anything? :p I never said that she's lying about the reasons for taking her break, I'm just saying there's probably much more to it that just "I want to take a break". But yes, in the end she does want a break, but I don't think her label is just going to be like "Well cya!" I think they are more on the line of "You aren't leaving just yet, you have to do some work"

I don't know where I'm coming off as "unaccepting of Utada wanting to take a break". Again in the end, that's what she wants. But i think her label is wanting her to do one final project before she leaves. I don't understand how the whole contract ending thing (if it's true or not we will never know) is bad either lol. But like you said, it's all opinion here
Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:02
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Why are people so quick to suspect contracts being over and failing labels? Why can't people just accept the fact that Utada wants to take a break. It's not that uncommon. In America, singers take breaks all the time. Many release albums every 2-4 years and almost all feel deprived of a childhood or social life because of the business. Utada's doing what any other American singer does. Eventually, in anyone's career, they just need a break, time to reanalyze and focus. It's normal . Just be happy with the 12 years Utada has been entertaining us and finally let her have a moment for herself.

A contract being up doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it's up. I never said she's lying about the whole wanting to take a break, or that it's not a factor, because it is.

If she wanted to continue writing music in EMI, she would've renewed her contract right? Well she doesnt, she basically said so herself (she wants a break). I'm just saying she's most likely just finishing up her contract because she is releasing this Singles Collection v2 with some bonus tracks. Why else would she make it? If she's tired of music, she wouldn't be in the process of making new stuff lol.

What "failing labels"? We didn't even said that. Where'd it come from? Anyway, if an artist is signed into a contract there's always and end of it and you have to sign another contract if it ended and if you want to continue working with them. That goes not only for Utada.

@Canitoch:
She never said her contract was up, nor did she say she was tired of music. She is writing music, still, for EMI. Just because she's releasing a Single Collection Vol. 2 with bonus tracks, doesn't mean she's finishing up a contract. That's just what your friend speculates. It's common for bonus tracks to be added to a BEST (Singles in this case) album. That's what makes it worth buying. Also, the fact that Utada is going on this break for only-she-knows how long, she might feel like she should add new material for fans because of this sudden announcement. To end an era n a good note, ya know?

@soulhunter14:
Canitoch said:
Quote:
EMI is one of the worst record labels to be in since it's close to bankruptcy

That's what would be considered a "failing record label", right? Regardless if EMI is close to bankruptcy, it's clearly not the reason for Utada's break. That is all I'm saying. I just don't understand why people can't accept Utada's reasoning for the break. No hard feelings, though. These are only opinions.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/10 19:46
Re:
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/10 16:36
  •  Canitoch
      Canitoch
Re:
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16/M/IN
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:

Posted on: 2010/8/10 14:31
  •  dear18memories
      dear18memories
Re:
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L Where are you?
Every person deserves time to discover his or herself. It's hard enough for regular citizens to do that. Imagine how hard it is for Hikki. She's been in fame for so long that she hasn't had any time to discover herself. She deserves this break and even though it's sad for us fans, we'll all be happy later to find out how much she's changed as a person when she comes back. This personal journey Hikki's taking to find herself is all the more reason to love her,

Besides, if I know Hikki, she'll still update her blog from time to time with her wonderfully eccentric thoughts. And with no deadlines, she'll surely write at least some music during her break which will be epic because she has all the time to do so. Her personal development will definitely show its ways through her songs. In the end, Utada Hikaru and music are forever tied. But 2-5 years from now, the major difference is that Hikki will be better than ever!
Posted on: 2010/8/10 11:29
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/10 10:25
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re:
guest_Unregistered
Maybe she'll write a book
Posted on: 2010/8/10 8:45
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re:
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Quote:
On Utada's blog:
When I think back I find I've always worked on music ever since I was 15. Spent my life overprotected by people around, so that "Utada Hikaru" can stick to music. People say I have plenty of life experience for my age, but as a matter of fact what I've experienced is quite lopsided.

Venus Williams replied with a similar response when presented with the tennis scenario ?..

?Utada continues: ?..This period is going to be the period for me to face the real me as a person, by studying something new eagerly and humbly, seeing and learning things in this wide world I don't know yet. I think that's something that should be called "human activities," different from "artist activities."?..

So doors are starting to close for Utada and it is clearly time to move on , creatively at least ?.
Even with the new songs, there is little incentive for many not just to Newsleecher the flac?s for ?Singles volume 2? from Usenet ...for free ?.

With this in mind, it makes sound commercial sense for Hikki to take full financial advantage of the lucrative product endorsements market, a tool used also to promote and market in Japan.

The Music Business has changed irrevocably since Utada was 15, made up of distinctive revenue streams, publishing, recording , and Live performance each commercially and contractually independent of each other?.. Then a digital revolution, the like of which has yet to scratch the surface and reveal what changes are in store for the music Industry as a whole ??

In the late 1990s, ?music will never be free?, was the copyright industries arrogant war cry in response to commercial analysts at Bloomberg taking apart the industry business model, and finally stated the unthinkable, that revenue from Live performance will be the only major source of income as the record industry would inevitably struggle to adapt commercially to what is becoming insurmountable technological changes ?..Emi is the perfect example ?.

The commercial longevity for recorded music was ruthless underlined when the recent 20ten album from Prince was distributed free in Europe?.
Posted on: 2010/8/10 1:36
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
Re:
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Good news and also a sad news, she take a long break. Its good that she said she will come back with more matured, at least she give us a good present with gonna release Single collection no 2.

Say good bye maybe not a good words, even though its quite a long break from her.

"See you soon Hikki , we will welcome you when you come back"

Kiss and Cry

So much article regarding about Hikki hiatus
www.nikkei.com
www.yomiuri.co.jp
Mainichi.jpwww.headlines.yahoo.co.jp
www.asahi.com
www.sponichi.co.jp
www.chunichi.co.jp
www.nikkansports.com
www.daily.co.jp
www.sanspo.com page 1
www.sanspo.com page 2
hochi.yomiuri.co.jp

Mostly they were wrote about Hikki taking a break from music
Posted on: 2010/8/9 23:54
Re:
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Well, this was certainly a long time coming. I think I saw the first indications of this kind of decision towards the start of TITO promotions in the U.S.; lately, Utada has been pretty nostalgic what with ten+ years of her career behind her and I think she's at a perfect impasse to do this right now. She's just completed her obligation to IDJ, In The Flesh was apparently one of her dreams come true and she's been quiet enough for the past year that I don't think anyone should really be shocked by this news. Hikki has always said she would either retire early or take some time to do other things- I for one am extremely supportive of this choice. Rocketing to super stardom at the age she did doesn't do a whole lot of good for a person's identity development and I think if nothing else Hikki has struggled with that on a personal level for some time now. I'm encouraged by her guarantees that she will be back, so at least we know this isn't her call to retirement, and while I'm saddened that this year may be the last in several for Hikki material (at least, musically speaking ;]), I'm truly excited for it and I can't wait to see what Hikki will bring to the table after all this is said and done. Watching her grow and mature as an artist at the same time that I have grown and matured as a person has been one of the most fantastic aspects of being a fan: it's good to know she'll be keeping in touch during this next phase of her human journey. :3

I'm with you here. 2009 was a silent year for Utada. Although she has done a lot of activities, it wasn't that explosive as before. And in fact, a 2-5years rest is incomparable if she has done it during her youth years. Being a celebrity doesn't really allow her to get what she really wants, a normal life. She always need to update and make songs once in a while for her career to last. Working for the public in several years is unhealthy and very tiring for a celebrity (in her private life). I'm pretty sure after that 2-5years of wait we'll be having a better or either the best Utada Hikaru from now. Let's give her a time to enjoy this human life.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say ; There isn't that much of her life publicized and nor is she often the center of gossip; She not hindered from going out in public or anything and she never really expressed continuing to make music as something she needed to do to maintain herself either. I can't say I know Utada's personal plights with her label but judging from Shiina's experiences Toshi-EMI will let you do whatever you want upon proving yourself. These are 2 artist that did it instantaneously. She could retire tomorrow and Toshiba EMI will still look out for her and their own pockets. They'd have a best album out next year with a box set of the albums Jp&Us and dvd live and clip collection to boot. She always has the option of retiring but she simply hasn't or didn't want to because she wants to actually make music. She wants to share herself with people not just please them(or else TiTO wouldn't exist). I'd vouch for her early childhood being more hectic than her life with fame.

None the less, she can do whatever she wants. I actually wouldn't mind one last release and then a retire from her. I personally think that she'd go on to be a writer/mangaka or start a school after she finishes her schooling.

You are right. To shorten what I've said, yes she gets what she wants under EMI-Toshiba but beyond that she's still living a celebrity life and being attached to it may somehow hinder some things that she wanted to do and experience. And being on a hiatus for a long span of time would let her have tons of experience that she may never encountered before. With that, I'm pretty sure she could come up a better person and even (as she promised) a better comeback since she composes her own songs.

Quote:
On Utada's blog:
When I think back I find I've always worked on music ever since I was 15. Spent my life overprotected by people around, so that "Utada Hikaru" can stick to music. People say I have plenty of life experience for my age, but as a matter of fact what I've experienced is quite lopsided.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/9 23:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...3456789>