LoBFCanti
Re:
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

zackuradrops wrote:
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Hm so I have a friend whos a singer and knows quite a bit about the music industry.

I told her about what's happening with Utada and she basically said that it sounds like Utada's contract with EMI is ending, but before it's over she needs to release a new album. An easy way out for this is to create a "greatest hits" like album (in this case singles collection) and add a couple new songs to it. Marketing wise this is nice as like a "I'm leaving!", I think she's going to get a lot of sales from this album (remember though she said shes coming back so don't think i said shes leaving for good). According to my friend Utada's made a smart move.

Also, EMI is one of the worst record labels to be in since it's close to bankruptcy, so she's probably abandoning it cause she doesn't want to get dragged in lol.

It seems that sometimes Utada is under promoted as well as other short comings that could be blamed on a label.

Island Def Jam is her US label...just want to make sure you aren't mixing the 2 up. Toshiba EMI is losing money at fault off it's structure as a company. Not much money comes out of recording whereas tons comes from mastering and selling records, but with that being hard to do now with the digital boom, everyone loses out. Hikaru jumping ship isn't something she'd exactly need to be secret about...unless she doesn't want to pay for her own site(which is completely understandable). Sony Warner or Avex would gladly have her. I'd actually like Kameda to get his hands on her.
Posted on: 2010/8/9 23:38
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re:
guest_Unregistered
A break after a break? Well, atleast she is releasing new songs and a singles collection, that will keep fans satisfied well into the new year. For the next 2 - 5 years, Unet will be having very few to no news, eh? Unless she participates in other activities besides music.
Posted on: 2010/8/9 23:02
Re:
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/California
Quote:

Canitoch wrote:
Hm so I have a friend whos a singer and knows quite a bit about the music industry.

I told her about what's happening with Utada and she basically said that it sounds like Utada's contract with EMI is ending, but before it's over she needs to release a new album. An easy way out for this is to create a "greatest hits" like album (in this case singles collection) and add a couple new songs to it. Marketing wise this is nice as like a "I'm leaving!", I think she's going to get a lot of sales from this album (remember though she said shes coming back so don't think i said shes leaving for good). According to my friend Utada's made a smart move.

Also, EMI is one of the worst record labels to be in since it's close to bankruptcy, so she's probably abandoning it cause she doesn't want to get dragged in lol.

I hope you are right Canitoch. It seems that sometimes Utada is under promoted as well as other short comings that could be blamed on a label. I wish her the best on her hiatus, I hope she grows in ways she never could have imagined and I can't wait to hear what kind of amazing art comes as a result of it. I hope we see her treated like the Universal superstar she is!
Posted on: 2010/8/9 22:46
  •  Canitoch
      Canitoch
Re:
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16/M/IN

Posted on: 2010/8/9 22:19
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Re:
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Well, this was certainly a long time coming. I think I saw the first indications of this kind of decision towards the start of TITO promotions in the U.S.; lately, Utada has been pretty nostalgic what with ten+ years of her career behind her and I think she's at a perfect impasse to do this right now. She's just completed her obligation to IDJ, In The Flesh was apparently one of her dreams come true and she's been quiet enough for the past year that I don't think anyone should really be shocked by this news. Hikki has always said she would either retire early or take some time to do other things- I for one am extremely supportive of this choice. Rocketing to super stardom at the age she did doesn't do a whole lot of good for a person's identity development and I think if nothing else Hikki has struggled with that on a personal level for some time now. I'm encouraged by her guarantees that she will be back, so at least we know this isn't her call to retirement, and while I'm saddened that this year may be the last in several for Hikki material (at least, musically speaking ;]), I'm truly excited for it and I can't wait to see what Hikki will bring to the table after all this is said and done. Watching her grow and mature as an artist at the same time that I have grown and matured as a person has been one of the most fantastic aspects of being a fan: it's good to know she'll be keeping in touch during this next phase of her human journey. :3

I'm with you here. 2009 was a silent year for Utada. Although she has done a lot of activities, it wasn't that explosive as before. And in fact, a 2-5years rest is incomparable if she has done it during her youth years. Being a celebrity doesn't really allow her to get what she really wants, a normal life. She always need to update and make songs once in a while for her career to last. Working for the public in several years is unhealthy and very tiring for a celebrity (in her private life). I'm pretty sure after that 2-5years of wait we'll be having a better or either the best Utada Hikaru from now. Let's give her a time to enjoy this human life.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say ; There isn't that much of her life publicized and nor is she often the center of gossip; She not hindered from going out in public or anything and she never really expressed continuing to make music as something she needed to do to maintain herself either. I can't say I know Utada's personal plights with her label but judging from Shiina's experiences Toshi-EMI will let you do whatever you want upon proving yourself. These are 2 artist that did it instantaneously. She could retire tomorrow and Toshiba EMI will still look out for her and their own pockets. They'd have a best album out next year with a box set of the albums Jp&Us and dvd live and clip collection to boot. She always has the option of retiring but she simply hasn't or didn't want to because she wants to actually make music. She wants to share herself with people not just please them(or else TiTO wouldn't exist). I'd vouch for her early childhood being more hectic than her life with fame.

None the less, she can do whatever she wants. I actually wouldn't mind one last release and then a retire from her. I personally think that she'd go on to be a writer/mangaka or start a school after she finishes her schooling.
Posted on: 2010/8/9 22:05
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Yeah, and I bet I would have already been to Japan (or plan on going) once she comes back.
Posted on: 2010/8/9 21:57
Re:
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Well, this was certainly a long time coming. I think I saw the first indications of this kind of decision towards the start of TITO promotions in the U.S.; lately, Utada has been pretty nostalgic what with ten+ years of her career behind her and I think she's at a perfect impasse to do this right now. She's just completed her obligation to IDJ, In The Flesh was apparently one of her dreams come true and she's been quiet enough for the past year that I don't think anyone should really be shocked by this news. Hikki has always said she would either retire early or take some time to do other things- I for one am extremely supportive of this choice. Rocketing to super stardom at the age she did doesn't do a whole lot of good for a person's identity development and I think if nothing else Hikki has struggled with that on a personal level for some time now. I'm encouraged by her guarantees that she will be back, so at least we know this isn't her call to retirement, and while I'm saddened that this year may be the last in several for Hikki material (at least, musically speaking ;]), I'm truly excited for it and I can't wait to see what Hikki will bring to the table after all this is said and done. Watching her grow and mature as an artist at the same time that I have grown and matured as a person has been one of the most fantastic aspects of being a fan: it's good to know she'll be keeping in touch during this next phase of her human journey. :3

I'm with you here. 2009 was a silent year for Utada. Although she has done a lot of activities, it wasn't that explosive as before. And in fact, a 2-5years rest is incomparable if she has done it during her youth years. Being a celebrity doesn't really allow her to get what she really wants, a normal life. She always need to update and make songs once in a while for her career to last. Working for the public in several years is unhealthy and very tiring for a celebrity (in her private life). I'm pretty sure after that 2-5years of wait we'll be having a better or either the best Utada Hikaru from now. Let's give her a time to enjoy this human life.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/9 21:08
Re:
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 17/M/OH
It will be hard to go on without hikki's sweet and brilliant voice for years, but somehow i guess i will manage. Its good she is taking a break and getting to know who she is as a person and future artist. I cannot wait for her retuen. :)
Posted on: 2010/8/9 20:39
  •  meekobiscuit
      meekobiscuit
Re:
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 35/M/L.A.
Hikki Forever!!!! I'm gonna have to find another artist to obsess over while she's gone!!!
Posted on: 2010/8/9 20:26
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Re:
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
this is the second important anouncement on her blog she made besides getting married.

im happy that shes going to release a singles vol 2 before taking a break. and with new songs too.

its sad that shes taking a break "indefinitely". but its her decision and we should respect that. she deserves it more than anyone else.

to hikaru...we are always here for you when you return!
Posted on: 2010/8/9 20:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...456789>