Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Discussion
  Why Korean artists enter the Japanese market?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Why Korean artists enter the Japanese market?
guest_Unregistered
I still don't know the reason why Korean singers enter the Japanese market. Tohishinki is by far the best selling Korean artist in Japan, followed by BoA.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 22:20
  •  airac
      airac
Re: Why Korean artists enter the Japanese market?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
I think it's because for some artists there exists a tight competition between Korean artists in their motherland. For some BIG artists in Korea, they venture to Japan in other to expand their stardom even further.
Posted on: 2010/9/16 3:25
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
Quote:

kevinmarickgale wrote:
I still don't know the reason why Korean singers enter the Japanese market. Tohishinki is by far the best selling Korean artist in Japan, followed by BoA.

i totally LOLed @ this.. of course rather than to promote their own culture, music and tourism,..
its because of

MONEY
Posted on: 2010/9/16 9:15
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Japan holds the 2nd largest Market in the world. Korea's music industry wants to expand their sales. It's not only Korean artists but also other foreign artists from the West. Kpop is just a trend. Jpop may be discreet but it never fades.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/9/16 9:32
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
It is all about money.
The Japanese market is very lucrative, and the Korean music industry is using a good window right now to gain a lot of money.

For the most part, the only "western" artists that get released in Japan are major-label acts (mostly pop, but some rap)
Unless the band or artist is part Japanese, less popular artists are unlikely to get released in Japan.

I personally think that the Korean music "invasion" is a little half-assed, because so far none of them have released original songs, only Japanese versions of their Korean hits.

I also feel like these Korean acts might discourage Japanese acts. For example, Korean girl groups might become so popular that they'll discourage Japanese girl groups (which is already hard enough because of groups like AKB48).

Specifically, groups like 4minute are basically sapping sales away from groups like dream (they are both very similar IMO).

Are there any non-Johnny's boy groups other than Tohoshinki? Sure, but they are absolutely unpopular, whereas 3/5 of Tohoshinki can release an overpriced CD of 4 songs and still make it sell like crazy.

On the other hand, more "legitimate" Korean singer-songwriters/groups like Wheesung, Epik High, or Clazziquai Project have yet to debut or (in Clazziquai Project's case) find success in Japan.

I hate how idols rule the music scene.
Posted on: 2010/9/16 17:26
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Because, let's be blunt, the Kpop industry fails. They put on a big show externally, but they're not making all that money. Japan has the 2nd best music industry in the world....and Japanese is much easier to learn than Engrish for them Koreans.

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2010/9/16 18:13
Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
It is all about money.
The Japanese market is very lucrative, and the Korean music industry is using a good window right now to gain a lot of money.

For the most part, the only "western" artists that get released in Japan are major-label acts (mostly pop, but some rap)
Unless the band or artist is part Japanese, less popular artists are unlikely to get released in Japan.

I personally think that the Korean music "invasion" is a little half-assed, because so far none of them have released original songs, only Japanese versions of their Korean hits.

I also feel like these Korean acts might discourage Japanese acts. For example, Korean girl groups might become so popular that they'll discourage Japanese girl groups (which is already hard enough because of groups like AKB48).

Specifically, groups like 4minute are basically sapping sales away from groups like dream (they are both very similar IMO).

Are there any non-Johnny's boy groups other than Tohoshinki? Sure, but they are absolutely unpopular, whereas 3/5 of Tohoshinki can release an overpriced CD of 4 songs and still make it sell like crazy.

On the other hand, more "legitimate" Korean singer-songwriters/groups like Wheesung, Epik High, or Clazziquai Project have yet to debut or (in Clazziquai Project's case) find success in Japan.

I hate how idols rule the music scene.

True. I wasn't really into idol groups. Yes, I do like some but I never fangirl'd over them much. And I don't find it attractive to re-release their Korean hits in Japanese. It's just so lame. Korea's music industry is losing the quality but gaining tons of money from the crazy fans.

But I do not think that any Korean idol group could overtake a Japanese idol group. If you're going to look at it, newly debuted Korean groups in Japan do release their single/album at a time where the "famous" ones won't release. That way, it will be easier for them to top.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 11:29
Quote:

DEEPRlVER wrote:
Because, let's be blunt, the Kpop industry fails. They put on a big show externally, but they're not making all that money. Japan has the 2nd best music industry in the world....and Japanese is much easier to learn than Engrish for them Koreans.

Yeah.

And Kpop may gain the fame now and even enter the Japanese market but in Japan, have you ever seen a Japanese artist who listed his/her favorite Kpop songs? No, or if there's some.. you can count it with your fingers. For the Japanese artists, Kpop idols are of non-existence. Like there's nothing special on them. You can never see Utada list her top5 favorite Kpop songs nor Gackt, Ayumi, etc.

Fame is forgettable. It fades so fast. Quality music and artist remains a big mark on every audience.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 11:37
  •  airac
      airac
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
It's really irritable to hear idol groups sing Japanese version of their Korean songs wherein they even don't know how to pronounce the Japanese accent properly.

KARA still charts, so does SNSD [Have heard their Japanese version of Genie? The way that they've sang their song seemed to be Korean...how come they still chart??? :(]
Posted on: 2010/9/18 1:24
Quote:

airac wrote:
It's really irritable to hear idol groups sing Japanese version of their Korean songs wherein they even don't know how to pronounce the Japanese accent properly.

KARA still charts, so does SNSD [Have heard their Japanese version of Genie? The way that they've sang their song seemed to be Korean...how come they still chart??? :(]

They chart when there is no Perfume, Arashi, SMAP, etc. around.

As far as I know, the youth of Japan is separated into half regarding this matter. Well, nobody can erase the big gap of Japan and Korea before.

Posted on: 2010/9/18 10:47
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>