Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Discussion
  Why Korean artists enter the Japanese market?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Why Korean artists enter the Japanese market?
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:

I actually care for a couple or Girl's Generation songs.
---

DEEPRIVER is right. Nothing will stay within the top 10 without consistent sale through out the week. It just so happen we all brought VOICE if the first 3 weeks. That's cool with me. If they made if to #1 for 1 day I'd have been stoked, they remained in top 10 for 2 weeks. That's hard to do within the past 5 yrs.

ARASHI was in number #1 last week while SNSD's Genie was in #4. You should see the margin by which they outsold them. I don't even like ARASHI but it's a clear example of why I think Perfume would have still been out of the top 30 by then.

ARASHI's LOVE Rainbow sold 528,844 units. (I believe this is the new standard for platinum via physical units)

Girl's Generation's songfrom2yrsag-excuse me, Genie sold 44,900 units.

Even the #2 release from Glay was outdone in sales by 465,557 copies.

^ Exactly. And isn't it that Perfume released before SNSD in the first place?

To what joeri said: Korean idol groups aren't good singers at all (or even the Japanese). For example, when Charice Pempengco guested in Star King the Korean idols were so amazed by her vocal skills and Luna of f(x) even tried to make a duet with her. Luna's version was just fine but it wasn't as powerful as Charice's (though, idol groups aren't really meant to have such powerful voice). It made me think that Charice at that time, made Kpop look like a whole "joke". Yes, they were laughing and even one of the SHINee's member imitated Charice's gestures. They couldn't do anything but to imitate, make fun and be amazed because in my opinion, they aren't real artists. From time to time, there are groups popping and popping every minute. And in the current situation of Kpop, I don't think there will be a group that'll last 10years(as much as Japan's Arashi and SMAP - well, Japan's music industry doesn't revolve with Jpop and idol groups alone tho. They have a huge variety when it comes to music.)

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/9/19 10:44
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
That's the biggest problem with K-Pop in my opinion -

J-Pop has idol groups (Arashi and SMAP) and artistic singer-songwriters (Utada, Shiina Ringo, Angela Aki, etc.)
Both types of artists are popular and can sell a LOT.

But in Korea, only the idol groups sell. More legitimate musicians can barely make enough money. Everything is idols, idols, and idols. The Korean expectation is SO LOW that when one of their idols does something fairly mundane (like (bad) lyrics to a song, or playing the piano (badly)), they freak out and get so excited about how "talented" their idols are.
I mean, there are certainly some really talented Korean idols, but most of them are about IMAGE not music.

The overemphasis on idols is what really bothers me.
Posted on: 2010/9/19 11:55
  •  joeri
      joeri
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L not telling! :)
well i am not really familiar with k-pop music in general the only 2 groups/singers i listen to are Boa and snsd. and i find it that these 2 can sing really well. their music is for me top notch (cept for boa's last album venus huricane only one song i liked form that album :( ) so i dont see the problem that korean singers ''invading'' the japanese market. if japan feels threathned about this then they should do better their best and release some decent music :/
Posted on: 2010/9/19 14:05
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
I'm not all for the K-pop crazy and all....but you guys need to look at some auditions tapes. A lot of these girls CAN SING VERY WELL. SNSD only has 5 real singers, the rest are there for the dancing and in fact all have other talents they practice on the off season(when they actually get one).
The 2NE1 chicks had impressive audition tapes, how did they end up with this style they have now is mind boggling.

KARA I can't vouch for.

These artist by contract aren't expect allowed to have boyfriends or write their own music or speak of the development process of the songs they already sing. Korea eats this shit up though, so of course nothing is gonna change til the public gets sick of it. BoA's last album sounded like here US one. Did great, this has been the formula since 2007 with Korea. Like everything to sound and look<--emphasis on this the same it seems. I don't get it.

@soulhunter14

Japan still prefers Visual Kei,pop and idol groups over all other genres.
I've heard that it's ridiculous in Hokkaido. Many of my favorite rock bands have stated that it wasn't until L'arc post visual/end of X japan,MM and JAM days that rock got some real fan base. 2000-2001 made a lot of difference. Japan is still in their early Utada R&B phase imo.
Posted on: 2010/9/19 16:45
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
@kevinmarickgale
JYONGRI was born in Japan to Korean parents (who may or may not have been born in Japan themselves - Koreans in Japan can get complicated)

Then what about Iconiq (Ayumi Lee / Ahyoomee, formerly of the disbanded Korean girl group Sugar)? One source says that she was born to Korean parents in Tottori, Japan. Let's change the topic regarding her: Why does Avex doesn't publicize her Korean career? (even though Sugar attained mediocre sucess in South Korea while her solo career in Korea gained moderate sucess) and why do the article about Iconiq and her previous career wasn't accepted by Avex?

Quote:
Iconiq's official Japanese profile did not mention her past as a member of Sugar or her Korean heritage, however vaguely references starting activities "overseas" in 2002. Concerns about the motives of this were raised in the Korean media. Korean netizen reactions were mixed, with some seeing the decision as "embarrassment" of her past, while others reasoned Iconiq's Japanese career's stylistic differences were the cause. Tokyo Sports ran an article about Iconiq's past as a Korean idol, however later apologised to Iconiq's record label.

Iconiq as Ahyoomee (2007)

Iconiq (2010)

Then, so far, TVXQ and BoA were the only Korean artists to gain extreme sucess in Japan...until now.

TVXQ/Tohoshinki/Dong Bang Shin Ki

BoA
Posted on: 2010/9/19 21:56
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
For example, when Charice Pempengco guested in Star King the Korean idols were so amazed by her vocal skills and Luna of f(x) even tried to make a duet with her. Luna's version was just fine but it wasn't as powerful as Charice's (though, idol groups aren't really meant to have such powerful voice). It made me think that Charice at that time, made Kpop look like a whole "joke". Yes, they were laughing and even one of the SHINee's member imitated Charice's gestures.

No. I don't believe that. They do that ONE MOMENT IN TIME thing to Luna to embarrass her in front of the audience and Charice. Darn host. Poor Luna. Even some say after the incident that it left a scar on Luna's heart and was totally traumatized. And that makes my being an ANTI-CHARICE gain more for the second time (the first when Charice first guested in StarKing -- a duet with Super Junior member Kyuhyun and their rendition of A WHOLE NEW WORLD -- obviously Charice's voice was louder than Kyuhyun's).
Posted on: 2010/9/19 22:17
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
lol guys.. why is this UTADA HIKARU forum turns out to be a KPOP forum already?...

i know that hikki is on her hiatus mode but.. i think this is not good.

obviously, the topic starter just wanna have some "posts".. as in .. many number of posts etc etc.
and flood topics that are related to kpop and other nonesense threads.

if u want to post kpop, go to their respective forum not here.
thats why group/artist fansites are created.

this thread should edit its title to...

"Why Korean topics/posts enter the Utadanet Forum?"
Posted on: 2010/9/19 23:24
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
Quote:

roovette04 wrote:
lol guys.. why is this UTADA HIKARU forum turns out to be a KPOP forum already?...

i know that hikki is on her hiatus mode but.. i think this is not good.

TUMPAK! (damn right!) ... >.> sigh...
Posted on: 2010/9/19 23:33
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

kevinmarickgale wrote:
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
For example, when Charice Pempengco guested in Star King the Korean idols were so amazed by her vocal skills and Luna of f(x) even tried to make a duet with her. Luna's version was just fine but it wasn't as powerful as Charice's (though, idol groups aren't really meant to have such powerful voice). It made me think that Charice at that time, made Kpop look like a whole "joke". Yes, they were laughing and even one of the SHINee's member imitated Charice's gestures.

No. I don't believe that. They do that ONE MOMENT IN TIME thing to Luna to embarrass her in front of the audience and Charice. Darn host. Poor Luna. Even some say after the incident that it left a scar on Luna's heart and was totally traumatized. And that makes my being an ANTI-CHARICE gain more for the second time (the first when Charice first guested in StarKing -- a duet with Super Junior member Kyuhyun and their rendition of A WHOLE NEW WORLD -- obviously Charice's voice was louder than Kyuhyun's).

No, that was not to embarrass Luna to the audience. Why so? Because Luna herself said that she performed because she also wanted to be discovered by David Foster. But in her style, this time is not yet the right time for her to cross-over America. I've seen several Filipino Anti-Charice. Mostly are Kpop fans. Didn't you saw that Charice even complimented Luna's singing? They differ in styles but Luna really has the guts. Colonial mentality. Oh well, in the first place, Charice won't be recognize in the west if she's just nothing. What specific reasons do you have to hate her? Because you just felt that Charice dumped the Kpop idols? Nah, Charice's voice isn't loud, it's powerful. If you believe in your idols, then hating other artist to give way for them is not the best solution.

@ LoBFCanti: Yup. I know. That's why I said that J-music in general has a wide variety. And it's just silly for Korean idols to get into the Japanese market with the Japanese versions of their Korean hits. IDK, it's just an unhealthy strategy IMO.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/9/20 7:44
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
For ICONIQ, she was previously published under a completely different company. It may be that avex has some legal hurdles denying them from mentioning that or something. I don't know, I'm not a fan.

Crystal Kay (African-Korean-American (or Japanese? I don't know her citizen) and JYONGRI are both very forthcoming about their Korean heritage.

@kevinmarickgale
She was traumatized because a different singer sang better than her? Talk about petty.

That's another thing that I can't stand about idols. They officially have the most fanatic and crazy and stupid fans. (Talk about Tohoshinki, it's a mess with them)
Posted on: 2010/9/20 18:27
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>