<1...34567>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Re: English Best Album: Utada The Best
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
wait...why'd she delete the tweets about Utada the Best?
is this so that the company releasing the best album won't see the tweets and will not get mad at her for ruining the sales of the album? Or the company saw them and forced her to take it down?
Posted on: 2010/10/24 12:15
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
wait...why'd she delete the tweets about Utada the Best?
is this so that the company releasing the best album won't see the tweets and will not get mad at her for ruining the sales of the album? Or the company saw them and forced her to take it down?

If you're talking about the tweets in Japanese (I'm not sure if those are the ones that were deleted), I think people were just getting confused over which album she was talking about. The company can't really make her do anything- plus, the English tweets are still up, so I would assume that it was more a matter of clarification than anything else. She says she's going to talk about "Utada the Best" in greater detail (I'm hoping for a nice, in depth blog about it), so that will give her the time to clear up any confusion there may be in regards to where she's coming from.

Personally, I'm with Utada. I think it's fantastic that she could be cashing in on this along with the record company, and she's still honest enough to tell her fans that there's no reason to buy it. Points for integrity! This entire English "Best Of" concept is such a facade, it's shameful. Given its timing, it was probably put together at the very last minute as a way to ride the cash cow trickling down from the SCV2 release...a much more intelligent tact would be to approach E3/Utada about possibly getting the ITF tour footage out there, but then Utada's English-language career has always been marred by, shall we say, questionable (or outright incompetent?) promotional backing. Why should that change now? Only this time there's been a miscalculation, because they have clearly chosen not to approach the artist in question, who also happened to be their only real promotional vessel (as if anyone bought Utada's release for the company), and that's about to come right back around.

All around, cheers for Utada for not sitting back and watching her fans get gypped! :]
Posted on: 2010/10/24 13:20
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
well I guess Utada herself answered the question ... I guess I am not buying the album.

I wonder what she's going to say about it in the upcoming days.
Posted on: 2010/10/24 13:33
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
SCV2 feels classy, has a well planned strategy but more significantly a successful and skillfully managed marketing and promotion campaign with clearly definable branded sponsors on board, launched in style befitting Utada and commiserate to maximize sales, and rounded off nicely with ?Wildlife? the two Yokohama concert dates, enabling EMI and Utada to do the business and thrive, all ultimately will come together at the pre-determined time to coincide with Utada future plans to take a break??.

On the other hand Universal couldn?t run and bath let alone a marketing campaign , it?s embarrassing and painful to watch?..

U3 have the rights to ?In the flesh?, Universal?s behavior is a perfect example of breathtaking ignorance, miserably short sighted, intellect?s rivaled only by my Grandma?s garden tools. I can?t imagine what Utada?s going to say?

Posted on: 2010/10/24 16:03
  •  lolstebbo
      lolstebbo
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20/M/US+Taiwan
Quote:

JimJam wrote:
I'm not surprised Utada's not behind this being released. Universal are just cashing in. If fans don't check out the track listing and just buy it because it's an Utada album, then Universal's job is done, isn't it?
I believe Utada when she says she's against it, because I would be too. There's also the fact U3music and hikki_staff on Twitter have also commented on it, explaining their distaste in its release. I wonder if this will get pulled from the shelves... Or just be released without Utada's consent?
If so, I can see her not going back to EMI once she finishes her sabbatical.

Why wouldn't she go back to EMI? If anything, she'd probably renegotiate her EMI contract to cover English releases (I'd assume that since she was signed by Toshiba-EMI that the contract only covered Japanese releases, hence her even signing to Island in the US to begin with).
Posted on: 2010/10/24 18:19
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

Hazumuchan wrote:
Utada herself posted the reply: http://twitter.com/#!/utadahikaru/status/28602716071

Wow.

Quote:

lolstebbo wrote:
Quote:

JimJam wrote:
I'm not surprised Utada's not behind this being released. Universal are just cashing in. If fans don't check out the track listing and just buy it because it's an Utada album, then Universal's job is done, isn't it?
I believe Utada when she says she's against it, because I would be too. There's also the fact U3music and hikki_staff on Twitter have also commented on it, explaining their distaste in its release. I wonder if this will get pulled from the shelves... Or just be released without Utada's consent?

Why wouldn't she go back to EMI? If anything, she'd probably renegotiate her EMI contract to cover English releases (I'd assume that since she was signed by Toshiba-EMI that the contract only covered Japanese releases, hence her even signing to Island in the US to begin with).

I think JimJam meant to say Universal Island Def Jam - not EMI
Posted on: 2010/10/24 19:00
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

lolstebbo wrote:
Quote:

JimJam wrote:

(I'd assume that since she was signed by Toshiba-EMI that the contract only covered Japanese releases, hence her even signing to Island in the US to begin with).

Not true. A record label can release music in any language. It's all about distribution. Utada made "Simple & Clean" under Toshiba-EMI. Universal is only there for distribution within Japan.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/10/24 21:49
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Translation from Hikki's entry on U3Music:
http://hikki.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-current-feelings.html

Well, record companies are record companies. They care for their profit. And Utada cares for her music and the fans behind all of her works. I strongly believe on her words. I never doubt it. Hikki is an artist from the heart. Not simply an artist because she wants an easy money from the supporters. I hate to see bashes against Hikki regarding this. Universal Records is a whole junk. Bah.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/10/25 3:25
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Bad strategy UR very bad

Universal Records plan a bit in the rush. if i were in Universal records i will take one or two years after Hikki take a break to released this 'UTB'.

When fans waiting for her to came back, release the 'UTB'. Utada herself got royalty from her music and Universal records will gain profit from the album . A collector fans (well not me) will buy any of her stuff no matter what its, even though there nothing new on it , something to make sure Unversal Records must add bonus like her pict at 'ITF', new cover album (combine TITO and Exodus) or other other stuff . So fans will not regreted when they bought the album.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 7:58
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
Translation from Hikki's entry on U3Music:
http://hikki.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-current-feelings.html

Well, record companies are record companies. They care for their profit. And Utada cares for her music and the fans behind all of her works. I strongly believe on her words. I never doubt it. Hikki is an artist from the heart. Not simply an artist because she wants an easy money from the supporters. I hate to see bashes against Hikki regarding this. Universal Records is a whole junk. Bah.

Unfortunately, at this point Hikki has done all she can. All we as fans can do is stand behind her and refrain from buying the album- profit is the only factor that makes any difference, in the end. If Universal is being run by anyone with sense, they'll pull this off- I think they're still hoping that they can ride the tails of SCV2, and it's up to us to show them they're wrong. Utada has fulfilled her contract with this record company, so it's not as though she has anything to fear at this point; although, I sympathize with her concerns over the backlash SHE'S going to receive over the release of the album, which doesn't even coincide with her vision. Hopefully, the media and critics will highlight this blog entry. As for me, I've heard all I need to hear: I know what pretense Universal is working under and I'm not interested in their attempt to profit off of an artist they've done great disservice to, in so many ways. My loyalties lie with Hikki!

Ha, it almost sounds like we're gearing up for war or something. In this case, I wouldn't mind running Universal through with a proverbial sword.
Posted on: 2010/10/25 8:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...34567>