Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
     Utada Questions & Answers
   Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/male/USA
Has hikki used auto tune in her japanese music? i know she used it in her american music, but im just curious :)
ANSWERS PLEASE :)
Posted on: 2010/11/21 19:24
  •  newt456
      newt456
Re: Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
I am not sure about auto-tune but she has definitely used "special effects" like an echo effect or things of the sort. Every artist uses those.

As for auto-tune, I can't think of anything from the top of my head.
Posted on: 2010/11/21 19:57
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
Quote:

newt456 wrote:
I am not sure about auto-tune but she has definitely used "special effects" like an echo effect or things of the sort. Every artist uses those.

As for auto-tune, I can't think of anything from the top of my head.

I agree that she has used "special effects" but when she came over to do her show in hawaii she was spot on.
Posted on: 2010/11/22 8:42
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/male/USA
i know she uses echo and other such special effects, i was just curious, i was told she used it in her american music, so i was curious :)
Posted on: 2010/11/22 14:57
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16/U.S
in the remixes for hikari and simple and clean it kinda sounds like autotune to me but not like the way people use it now
Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:54
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L Canada/New York
Most artists simply use autotune to correct the pitch of their voices, but people cannot hear it because of the way it's used. It's kind of a standard for studio albums just to make them sound flawless.

Though...I think Hikki would detest to using autotune on an album because it's sort of cheating..then again I wouldn't know.
Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:59
Administrator
A/S/L
I dont think she has ever used autotune ...
effects have been used, but specifically auto-tune i dont believe has been ever used.

even in remixes, i think those were at most pitch adjustments with phaser, etc effects and not the actual autotune: http://www.antarestech.com/products/auto-tune-evo.shtml

haha and i like this off the wikipedia page:
Quote:
the CD Miss Fortune by singer-songwriter Allison Moorer was released with a sticker stating that "Absolutely no vocal tuning or pitch correction was used in the making of this record".[11] At the 51st Grammy Awards in early 2009, the band Death Cab for Cutie made an appearance wearing blue ribbons to protest the use of Auto-Tune in the music industry.[12] Later that spring, Jay-Z titled the lead single of his album The Blueprint 3 as "D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)". Jay-Z elaborated that he wrote the song under the personal belief that far too many people had jumped on the Auto-Tune bandwagon and that the trend had become a gimmick.[13][14] Christina Aguilera appeared in public in Los Angeles on August 10, 2009 wearing a T-shirt that read, "Auto Tune is for Pussies"

Twitter: @UtadaNet
Posted on: 2010/11/22 19:29
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
B&C (Bonnie & Clyde)

The B-side song from the "Movin' on without you" single has autotuned vocals on the outro of the song. Check the song out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWst7uXbZQ

Don't mind the video. It's the song that matters.
Posted on: 2010/11/22 20:06
Administrator
A/S/L
That is probably not auto-tune.
You dont hear the noticeable pitch-shifting that auto-tune does.

This is more of a talk box filter or vocoder, which gives it a synthesized effect to vocals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_voice_effects

... but if so, she would have been one of the first ppl in the world to use auto-tune back in 1998.

Twitter: @UtadaNet
Posted on: 2010/11/22 21:44
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I would imagine Hikki has used auto-tune at times, but I don't think she's ever applied it in the deliberately overindulgent manner of contemporary mainstream American pop. On the other hand, Hikki has such a quirky and characteristic vocal style that she doesn't really NEED auto-tune; if a couple of notes are a bit flat here and there that doesn't really matter because it complements a unique personality her voice already carries. On the whole, however, I think it's hard to prove one way or the other- the idea behind auto-tune is that it shouldn't be identifiable, so usually there's either no question when it's being used or it can't be said definitively that it is.

And for the record, I don't think there's any reason to believe Utada used any auto-tune in her English work (although, given who produced TITO, I suppose it isn't unlikely). If anything, I imagine she would have used it in her Japanese studio albums given the immense popularity it has enjoyed over there for some time, whereas it's a relatively new development in music within the Western market.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 2:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>