Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
     Utada Questions & Answers
   Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  purefault
      purefault
Re: Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/m/usa
I think she only used it a tad bit on a couple songs on TITO (since it's American-produced, and "perfection" is what most American producers push for...), however, I don't think it was ever used with her Japanese music. There are times in the studio versions where she even sounds maybe a tiny bit off on a couple notes (very rarely), but in a way that you know that her vocals aren't being processed.
She never sounds less than amazing regardless... haha.

I've worked with autotune/pitch correction firsthand, and I can hear it a tiny bit in TITO, but other than that, I haven't noticed it in anything else. It's usually only used for a split second.

I think TITO was meant to be a very produced, solid pop album, so it makes sense... but it her voice is more than fine without it.

So, I guess my nutshell reply to the OP would be... "no".
haha.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 13:04
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
In HEART STATION at the very end, when she is singing and making the kinda whale-song thing (that's what it sounded like to me lol) kinda sounds like it MIGHT have a pinch of auto-tune at the start and stop about halfway through. Anyone else feel me?

Check out this hat for sale!
http://www.zazzle.com/heart_station_hat-148152297661170325
Posted on: 2010/12/11 16:23
  •  purefault
      purefault
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/m/usa
Oh yeah, that would make sense. Her voice is already run through some heavy affects, giving it that "watery" sound, so autotune would actually work well for it.
I think it sounds good for parts that are obviously edited.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 17:23
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
No reason for her not to use Auto Tune and I'm pretty sure she uses it. Let's not deny it. Using it doesn't undermine her talent as a musician.
Posted on: 2010/12/11 18:02
  •  purefault
      purefault
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/m/usa
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:
No reason for her not to use Auto Tune and I'm pretty sure she uses it. Let's not deny it. Using it doesn't undermine her talent as a musician.

Agreed. She can (and has) pulled off some of her most difficult songs live, so we all know how talented she is.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 11:50
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

purefault wrote:
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:

Agreed. She can (and has) pulled off some of her most difficult songs live, so we all know how talented she is.

She hasn't entire song and the example with HEART STATION is the only fashion in which she has used it. She does almost all the vocal effects through layerings of her different pitches.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 14:05
  •  1Brando
      1Brando
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/La Puente, CA
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

purefault wrote:
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:

She hasn't entire song and the example with HEART STATION is the only fashion in which she has used it. She does almost all the vocal effects through layerings of her different pitches.

I agree. It's usually merely for vocal effect and not vocal correction.
Posted on: 2010/12/12 19:22
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
If you wanna hear vocoders in voices, listen to AIra Mitsuki and Saori at Destiny. If you wanna listen to Auto-Tune, listen to T-Pain, Black Eyed Peas, Ke$ha, etc. Auto-Tune is based on the phase vocoder therefore, becoming a vocoder-based software.

I admit at first, regarding Aira, I was irritated on how her voice sounds like when she used vocoder on her voice consistently, so as Saori.

But neither which, I never heard Hikki used Autotune. My friends laughed at me whaen I told them this one. One of my friends said that she does well in recordings but in live performances (as they observed), Hikki cannot reach the high note in a certain song, which I objected. They said that Hikki is suspectible in using Autotune on only high notes (which made me puzzled then).

Please change the title of this thread to "Autotunes and Vocoders" if necessary. Thanks.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 4:01
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Of course they use pitch correction. It's very easy to hear listening to TITO and new songs like Can't Wait 'Til Christmas.
It doesn't matter whether it's Auto-tune or Melodyne or smth else. I know it's just there.
Sometimes I miss time when I couldn't hear it. Now that I know how pitch correction sounds I can't help noticing it when it's used.
I mean you may say whatever you want, but that's a fact for me
I sing too and correct my pitch, so it's really very easy for me to hear such things.
Well, I'm glad they use it because watching 08.12.2010 is very painful. I'm glad they edited her lives for NHK documentary even though 09.12 was way better than 08.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 6:09
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
She doesn't use autotune ever.
Do you people ever listen to her sing live?

This is a BS thread.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 10:38
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>