Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
     Utada Questions & Answers
   Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  cube
      cube
Re: Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/M/NY
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
This is a BS thread.

I have to agree but just because the fact is that EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing in their music. It's not a question of whether it is done in Hikki's music or not. The studio recording has to be perfect, so vocal editing is a must. Also, whatever form of editing that is done isn't really noticeable to me, unlike the horrible overuse of things like auto-tune in most American music. I swear, most of what they're doing in their music now is humanly impossible to reproduce live. Case and point: Kanye West. Go on, look up some live performances. Simply horrible. No offense to any fans, though. Again, EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing on their music. If not, there would be no difference between the live performances of a song and its studio recording. My point is, you guys are making a big deal of this. It's not like the editing on her studio recordings make her voice sound absolutely nothing like what she sounds like live. Again, Kanye West. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of Kanye West. lol
Posted on: 2011/1/20 12:51
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Quote:

cube wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
This is a BS thread.

I have to agree but just because the fact is that EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing in their music. It's not a question of whether it is done in Hikki's music or not. The studio recording has to be perfect, so vocal editing is a must. Also, whatever form of editing that is done isn't really noticeable to me, unlike the horrible overuse of things like auto-tune in most American music. I swear, most of what they're doing in their music now is humanly impossible to reproduce live. Case and point: Kanye West. Go on, look up some live performances. Simply horrible. No offense to any fans, though. Again, EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing on their music. If not, there would be no difference between the live performances of a song and its studio recording. My point is, you guys are making a big deal of this. It's not like the editing on her studio recordings make her voice sound absolutely nothing like what she sounds like live. Again, Kanye West. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of Kanye West. lol

I agree with you but just confirm that pitch correction is used in Utada's songs. Thank god her music isn't overproduced like songs in "Glee". But I insist that you would suffer if they didn't edit her lve DVDs.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 14:12
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Of course they use pitch correction. It's very easy to hear listening to TITO and new songs like Can't Wait 'Til Christmas.
It doesn't matter whether it's Auto-tune or Melodyne or smth else. I know it's just there.
Sometimes I miss time when I couldn't hear it. Now that I know how pitch correction sounds I can't help noticing it when it's used.
I mean you may say whatever you want, but that's a fact for me
I sing too and correct my pitch, so it's really very easy for me to hear such things.
Well, I'm glad they use it because watching 08.12.2010 is very painful. I'm glad they edited her lives for NHK documentary even though 09.12 was way better than 08.

Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
She doesn't use autotune ever.
Do you people ever listen to her sing live?

This is a BS thread.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that until one of these arguments can actually be substantiated with something more than opinion this conversation is entirely moot. The fact is that Utada does meet with vocal faults during her live concerts; however, to claim that this directly entails the use of pitch correction within her studio work lacks any fundamental evidence (claiming to "hear" vocal correction notwithstanding). In studio, any singer can sing any number of takes for their work until they get one that is satisfactory- that liberty is not present in a live setting. Stringing notes together on cue in front of an audience is an entirely different matter from singing short sessions that will be edited into a coherent song later. In that sense, of course studio recorded music is going to sound different from live music. It is meant to be basically flawless- there's nothing that ends up on a studio recorded album that wasn't placed there intentionally. That doesn't prove or even indicate the use of vocal correction within the studio. However, we can't know either way so trying to pass either perspective off as fact without confirmation from Utada herself is pointless.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 17:25
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Shurikid,
to be honest I don't need any proofs or someone's opinion to understand whether pitch correction is used or not. Of course I know about multiple takes and stuff, but nobody can reproduce the sound which was born by correcting one's pitch, it's different from natural one when it's easily heard. Many, many notes are corrected beautifully so you'd never guess that they were...but the ones that were especially far from the right pitch are easy to hear.
I believe my ears, why wouldn't I? I repeat, I'm not deaf, not tone-deaf, I sing myself and use pitch correction so why wouldn't I notice it when it's clearly there? And what's the big deal? Both Ayu and Utada use it but NOT over-use it which isthe most important.
No offenence, but it always makes me smile when people can't hear pitch correction, have a very tiny idea of what it is and how it should sound and defend someone.
It's just not universal ability to hear such things.
We don't need proofs that someone is singing in key or off-key. It's whether you CAN hear it or not, same applies to the above.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 2:53
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Shurikid,
to be honest I don't need any proofs or someone's opinion to understand whether pitch correction is used or not. Of course I know about multiple takes and stuff, but nobody can reproduce the sound which was born by correcting one's pitch, it's different from natural one when it's easily heard. Many, many notes are corrected beautifully so you'd never guess that they were...but the ones that were especially far from the right pitch are easy to hear.
I believe my ears, why wouldn't I? I repeat, I'm not deaf, not tone-deaf, I sing myself and use pitch correction so why wouldn't I notice it when it's clearly there? And what's the big deal? Both Ayu and Utada use it but NOT over-use it which isthe most important.
No offenence, but it always makes me smile when people can't hear pitch correction, have a very tiny idea of what it is and how it should sound and defend someone.
We don't need proofs that someone is singing in key or off-key. It's whether you CAN hear it or not, same applies to the above.

If this is so, provide examples of such if possible. A song and point a particular portion which you experience her voice being correct(type the tracking time for the song/video).

Also 12/08 had worst vocals why now? I didn't feel a strike difference with the exception of Letters being better on 12/8. But these are opinions. Whatever.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 6:51
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/male/USA
this threat has gotten out of control, i wanted just an opinion, and maybe an example, and everyone thinks its about like if she can sing or not, EVERYONE! HIKKI CAN SING! We all know this. i was Curious! its not about hikki not being able to sing.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 9:29
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Shurikid,

If this is so, provide examples of such if possible. A song and point a particular portion which you experience her voice being correct(type the tracking time for the song/video).

Also 12/08 had worst vocals why now? I didn't feel a strike difference with the exception of Letters being better on 12/8. But these are opinions. Whatever.

This is what I'm saying. If you're going to make a claim, you have to back it up with more than your own personal interpretation of sound. I think I've mentioned it in response to you before, but I also sing and have a pretty clear comprehension of pitch and voice. I've never used auto-tune because I've only ever sung live on stage, but I do have a close friend who uses corrections in his music and when I listen to what he does and what I hear from Utada, I don't pick up on the same vocal alterations. Utada edits her voice in the studio, no doubt; she uses all kinds of effects and enhancers. But I can't say definitively that auto-tune is one of them. Unless you can provide a direct example as proof of what you're saying, you're arguing an aimless debate.

Also, anyone can hear auto-tune if they know how to listen for it. Even someone whose tone-deaf is not necessarily prevented from understanding a song note for note; it's just that they struggle with producing certain notes themselves (hence the term "tone-deaf" being somewhat of a misnomer).
Posted on: 2011/1/21 10:03
  •  skinnyaznkid
      skinnyaznkid
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Florida
Quote:

cube wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
This is a BS thread.

You're right. I watched a John Mayer ustream where he discussed auto-tune and he said he's used auto tune on every single album. So I think auto tune is a regular thing in the music industry because no one's perfect. Just don't turn the intensity too high like T-pain. (On a side note, T-Pain is coming out with an auto tune mic: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/t-pain-stops-by-ces-2011-to-plug-patently-ridiculous-amazing-i/).
Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:30
  •  itana1
      itana1
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male
Yes she has and get over it. Everyone uses it. Some uses a tiny like utada but some use it alot like kesha.
That is all.

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return." Loveless
Posted on: 2011/1/21 18:08
  •  cube
      cube
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/M/NY
Quote:

itana1 wrote:
Yes she has and get over it. Everyone uses it. Some uses a tiny like utada but some use it alot like kesha.
That is all.

Exactly. Everyone is seriously overreacting to this (what a surprise ). It's not the end of the world and we don't have to go overanalyzing every single detail available to us.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 18:21
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>