Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
     Utada Questions & Answers
   Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Re: Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
What some of you are not realizing is that there's a difference between the "Autotune plugin" and the "Autotune effect". The "Autotune plugin" is only one of many types of plugin that does pitch correction. The Autotune plugin can be used to make a slightly off key performance sound more in tune. The "Autotune effect" is when you take ANY pitch correction plugin, turn all the settings up as high as possible, and have the voice sound like T-pain or Cher. I don't think Utada has used the "Autotune effect" in her Japanese music. If she has, it was only for like a background vocal.

However, there is no way to differentiate the "Autotune plugin" from other voice correction plugins or software just by listening to a track because they can all do the same basic things

Yes, Utada does use pitch correction every once in a while. If a singer sings a note really off and it's run through pitch correction that note will sound really bright and different from the notes around it. But the only way you can know if she uses the Autotune plugin or a different one is to ask Utada herself.

Quote:

UtadaFan2012 wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
You guys aren't help me or Shuri. We are asking for an example. We aren't saying she doesn't use it. We are saying give a clear example of when she has so we and others can understand. You obviously learned to recognize it meaning others can too.

Seconding this.
Also, I wish people would stop trying to pass it off as if every singer uses auto-tune. Plenty of vocalists are entirely opposed to the practice. I myself find it to be a rather tired escape from having to actually, I don't know, sing. I'd rather hear someone hit a few off-key notes and actually sing their heart out than filter everything through a corrective microphone or program. And I do hear those little quirks in Utada's voice even in her studio albums (occasional slightly flat notes, sliding, etc.; much of what she does live, albeit less glaring because of the nature of studio recording VS live performance), hence why I find it hard to believe that she would correct certain aspects of her voice and not others.

90%+ of today's popular music now uses pitch correction. (This is not a good thing, it's the sign of the death of real music.)

More than 90% Even YouTube singers use pitch correction now. And some big artists say they use pitch correction in live performances. .
Posted on: 2012/6/23 11:44
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 22 / Male / Marseille
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
(...)On the other hand, Hikki has such a quirky and characteristic vocal style that she doesn't really NEED auto-tune; if a couple of notes are a bit flat here and there that doesn't really matter because it complements a unique personality her voice already carries. (...)

This post definitely is the greatest reasoning I never read! I utterly agree with this last one.
And I'd better add, her voice has this special something, and you know, when you hear it, that she definitely knows how to sing. When you hear her live performances, there are no "electronical" (if it's not on acoustic purposes) effects added in it, right! Hence proof there's no auto-tune needed in her stuff. All that I could really notice through her music is reverb, delay, and "chorus" effects! Apart from that, she's incredibly faithful to her voice... And I also think she would feel it as "cheating", if she came to use "auto-tune" x)
Posted on: 2012/8/7 15:06
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
Pretty much every singer has used some variation of a pitch-correcter at some point in their career. Utada included.

I know for a fact part of album version of B&C is auto-tuned (as stated on the Wiki page)
I also think "Let Me Give You My Love", "Wonder 'Bout" and to some extent, "Exodus '04" used some pitch-altering software, as those tracks were mixed and produced in collaboration with Timbaland, and he's notorious for pitch-altering pretty much every song he works on.

I also think given the mainstream producers for This Is the One, that auto-tune creeped in a little there. But who knows? As someone else posted, it's best to ask Utada herself.

Although I am almost 100% positive that Utada has only ever used autotune / pitch-correctors purely for artistic effect, and not to make her voice be carried through the music (unlike some other mainstream artists out there).

I don't know if any of this has been said before, as I'n too tired to drift through 5 pages of discussion (sorry!)
Posted on: 2012/8/8 16:25
  •  Nyaanyaa
      Nyaanyaa
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Quote:
I know for a fact part of album version of B&C is auto-tuned (as stated on the Wiki page)

How do you know for a fact that Auto-Tune was used on the track? Wikipedia is no reliable source, especially if it doesn't cite any reference for its claims like in this case.
Posted on: 2012/8/8 16:42
Hikki Fanatic
Strangely, it seems that "pitch-correcting"or any of those kind of effects are related through her "English stuff", why is that?
In any case, I also think she doesn't need it to fit in through the music, and she uses it only on artistic shape purposes! What's more, I never heard the slightest pitch variation, even if there is auto tune effect, you can hear a little "space" thing inside whereas there's none, with Utada. Unless it's hidden very very well!
Posted on: 2012/8/9 0:36
  •  hikaruomega
      hikaruomega
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
Quote:

Nyaanyaa wrote:
Quote:

How do you know for a fact that Auto-Tune was used on the track? Wikipedia is no reliable source, especially if it doesn't cite any reference for its claims like in this case.

I think it has something to do with the repeating "Bonnie and Clyde" segment at the end. That part sounds like it was given Auto-Tune for effect.
Posted on: 2012/8/10 3:29
Hikki Fanatic
Quote:

I think it has something to do with the repeating "Bonnie and Clyde" segment at the end. That part sounds like it was given Auto-Tune for effect.

OMG ! Yeah! That's right!
This is Auto-tune effect!
But if I ever heard an instance like this elsewhere? Na-ha
Posted on: 2012/8/10 3:37
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345