Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
     Utada Questions & Answers
   Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Did Hikki Use Auto Tune in any of her Japanese music???
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
I don't recall any of her songs using autotune, just sound effects.
Posted on: 2011/1/22 14:39
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

SwallowTail wrote:
Something wrong ? this thread just asking bout did Hikki use autotune or not just a question. Not a flame thread okay.

Dont get too serious

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the debate though. But I second, try to debate fairly and stay on topic guys. :)

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2011/1/22 10:12
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
You guys aren't help me or Shuri. We are asking for an example. We aren't saying she doesn't use it. We are saying give a clear example of when she has so we and others can understand. You obviously learned to recognize it meaning others can too.

Seconding this.
Also, I wish people would stop trying to pass it off as if every singer uses auto-tune. Plenty of vocalists are entirely opposed to the practice. I myself find it to be a rather tired escape from having to actually, I don't know, sing. I'd rather hear someone hit a few off-key notes and actually sing their heart out than filter everything through a corrective microphone or program. And I do hear those little quirks in Utada's voice even in her studio albums (occasional slightly flat notes, sliding, etc.; much of what she does live, albeit less glaring because of the nature of studio recording VS live performance), hence why I find it hard to believe that she would correct certain aspects of her voice and not others.
Posted on: 2011/1/22 9:08
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 17/f/Oxfordshire
As a singer/songwriter myself, I use a programme called Melodyne, which is very big in the music industry.
If she doesn't use that, it's something very similar.
It basically allows you to fine tune any tiny mistakes, like being slightly off pitch, or wavering on a note, however, the changes it makes in the vocals aren't as extreme as the conventional 'autotune' that's so widely used today, and can make any idiot sing pitch perfect.

Hope this answers your question!
(I apologise if this sounds snobbish at all :S I just read it back! Haha)
Posted on: 2011/1/22 6:46
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Something wrong ? this thread just asking bout did Hikki use autotune or not just a question. Not a flame thread okay.

Dont get too serious

Thanks
Posted on: 2011/1/22 3:18
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
You guys aren't help me or Shuri. We are asking for an example. We aren't saying she doesn't use it. We are saying give a clear example of when she has so we and others can understand. You obviously learned to recognize it meaning others can too.
Posted on: 2011/1/22 0:07
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Quote:

itana1 wrote:
Yes she has and get over it. Everyone uses it. Some uses a tiny like utada but some use it alot like kesha.
That is all.

Finally someone with trained ears
But I repeat that it's not necessarily auto-tune, it could be Melodyne too. Although it sounds more like auto-tune in the first place.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 23:12
  •  cube
      cube
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/M/NY
Quote:

itana1 wrote:
Yes she has and get over it. Everyone uses it. Some uses a tiny like utada but some use it alot like kesha.
That is all.

Exactly. Everyone is seriously overreacting to this (what a surprise ). It's not the end of the world and we don't have to go overanalyzing every single detail available to us.
Posted on: 2011/1/21 18:21
  •  itana1
      itana1
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male
That is all.

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return." Loveless
Posted on: 2011/1/21 18:08
  •  skinnyaznkid
      skinnyaznkid
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Florida
Quote:

cube wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
This is a BS thread.

I have to agree but just because the fact is that EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing in their music. It's not a question of whether it is done in Hikki's music or not. The studio recording has to be perfect, so vocal editing is a must. Also, whatever form of editing that is done isn't really noticeable to me, unlike the horrible overuse of things like auto-tune in most American music. I swear, most of what they're doing in their music now is humanly impossible to reproduce live. Case and point: Kanye West. Go on, look up some live performances. Simply horrible. No offense to any fans, though. Again, EVERY singer uses some sort of vocal editing on their music. If not, there would be no difference between the live performances of a song and its studio recording. My point is, you guys are making a big deal of this. It's not like the editing on her studio recordings make her voice sound absolutely nothing like what she sounds like live. Again, Kanye West. If you haven't noticed, I'm not a fan of Kanye West. lol

You're right. I watched a John Mayer ustream where he discussed auto-tune and he said he's used auto tune on every single album. So I think auto tune is a regular thing in the music industry because no one's perfect. Just don't turn the intensity too high like T-pain. (On a side note, T-Pain is coming out with an auto tune mic: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/t-pain-stops-by-ces-2011-to-plug-patently-ridiculous-amazing-i/).
Posted on: 2011/1/21 16:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>