Utada Net.com Forum Index
   Utada News
  UTADA HIKARU Single Collection Volume #2 1st -week sales!...

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
UTADA HIKARU Single Collection Volume #2 1st -week sales!...
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/Male/Austin & Dallas,TX U.S.A
I know it's not what a lot or even most all of us were expecting but here it is anyway!

http://wiki.jpopstop.com/wiki/Utada_Hikaru_Single_Collection_Vol.2 216,135

The semi-great news is that since Oricon collects all its data on Mondays and certain venues aren't counted during the process, it may be a little higher than even the above. Also, it seems like that previously stated theory of the album being a 'chart-grower' and not a 'show-stopper' may hold some weight to it; if sales continue the way they have been for the past four days, (i.e. 20,000) for the rest of this calendar year, it should easily make the Top 5 of Orcon's 2010 annual ranks! I'm thinking that since she has been MIA for such a long while and the CD buying demographics of Japan have undergone another drastic fundamentalist change is the reason for the non-explosive first week performance. Still by no means a failure in this day and age though; at least it'll outdo TITO and its staying power may accelerate after those concerts make that nationwide breakthrough broadcast. Lets just stay on our toes and continue to make her a trendy Twitter topic in the meantime!

...God I can't wait for YesAsia to make that special delivery on or before the 4th of December!
Posted on: 2010/11/29 9:53
Re: UTADA HIKARU Single Collection Volume #2 1st -week sales!...
Addicted to Hikki
Conveniently enough, a certain other face of J-pop that has also been on an approximate two year hiatus is also making their comeback release for Tuesday (the only other album likely to score high in the yearly Oricon rank)...

http://wiki.jpopstop.com/wiki/Sense_(Mr.Children)

Whether or not it sells 500-700,000 units in its first week is about irrelevant, because its gauranteed to keep Utada from the #1 daily spot until at least the following Monday (there's a relatively; fine with me as long as hers stays consistent enough (20-25K) until year's end. This EXACT same thing, ironically enough, happened with Hikki's first Single Collection back in 2004, where she played switch-a-roo w/ Mr. Children after being #1 daily from March 31 to April 6 w/ a 1.4 million debut in the second week (Shifuku no Oto sold about 800K+ to her 400K+); They did it back again though the third where she held the top laurel for another consecutive four weeks (would've equalled 'First Love' for most weeks @ #1 had that not happened! ) It just may happen again, who knows (if we overlook a certain someone's LOVE SONGS being pinned for a 12/22 release, but I think that'll be too little too late anyways)? The only prior released single from 'SENSE' was 'Fanfare' more than a year ago, so it may not have the monstrous first week sales Mr. Children has been historically accustomed to either.

Week 14
03.29 Hamasaki Ayumi
Moments
Utada Hikaru
Utada Hikaru Single Collection Vol.1
Week 15
04.05 Hamasaki Ayumi
Moments
Mr. Children
Shifuku no Oto
Week 16
04.12 Southern All Stars
Aja
133,309 Utada Hikaru
Week 17
04.19 Utada Hikaru
Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro
150,020 Utada Hikaru
Week 18
04.29 Utada Hikaru
Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro
82,564 Utada Hikaru
Week 19
05.03 B'z
BANZAI
187,503 Utada Hikaru

http://wiki.jpopstop.com/wiki/2004_Oricon_Number_1_Releases
Posted on: 2010/11/29 10:15
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
actually, oricon said her first week sales were 231,000. Maybe they got the sales from stores which were not counted on the charts until now. I remember reading somewhere that EMI Japan predicted 150,000-200,000 copies sold for SCV2's first week, so actually if I'm correct then it's actually exceeding their expectations. I think her recent staying at about 20,000 per day is only because it was the weekend. Maybe when oricon releases Monday's sales it will look better.

got it from here http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/82527/full/
*edit* oh wait nevermind you posted somewhere else she sold 231K haha.

btw the article says that she has 7 consecutive #1 albums, surpassing KinKi kids who only has 6
something like that
Posted on: 2010/11/29 21:31
Addicted to Hikki
^Now that article, even after translating it on Google, Bing, or elsewhere is quite confusing (surprise,surprise ...Now I know when HEART STATION debuted @ #1 its 1st week, she equalled Hikaru Genji,The Checkers, and Kinki Kids for the most consecutive #1 studio albums from debut on (5) with a total six overall (only equal to Kinki Kids); This release put her as the ONLY artist in Japan to have Seven Consecutive #1 albums (but only since debuting), @ least according to this link: http://www.emimusic.com/blog/2010/hikaru-utada-scores-seventh-consecutive-number-one-album/

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, and HUGE congrats to Utada BTW as always, but I thought Ayu had the most #1 (original,compilation,overall,or otherwise) albums for any artist,solo or group, in Japan? She had 8 consecutive from her studio debut, "Guilty" broke the streak, and than had 2 more with Next Level and Rock N Roll Circus (its that much higher if we add her five best-of/compilations that had prodigious first week numbers as well)...And doesn't Mariah Carey and Boa have equal to or more #1 albums as well (unless like Exodus and TITO, Western artists and English releases CAN'T count towards this, or even foreign artists singing in Japanese)? This is really confusing and heavy-handed I know, I'm just a little skeptical about the language used, because this may be relative fact rather than absolute truth! What's more is, doesn't Southern All Stars,Seiko Matsuda,Yumi Matsutoya,B'Z,Mr. Children,Koda Kumi,GLAY,L'arc~en~ciel and Namie Amuro and some others too numerous or irrelevant to mention all have more #1 albums (original,best-of, or overall) than Utada consecutive or otherwise as well? Or does this record only refer to since OFFICIALLY debuting with Japanese music (because if that's the case, Ayu nor Utada are the true setters of that record, since there was 'Precious' and 'Nothing from Nothing' EP that went nowhere)?

Another thing was when ULTRA BLUE had 500K+ debut frame and made her the #1 artist with most consecutive albums to break half-a-million units in 1st week of release (5, including UHSCV1 and EX-cluding Exodus as usual). She's now ahead of the now-debunked SPEED (w/ 4) in second place, with five artists (Globe, Chemistry, and three other acts I can't make out or read properly from all the kanji http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/ranking/25390/!) tieing thrid place w/ 2 frames each. Again, basic research tells us Ayumi Hamasaki (she had like what 8 or more, even though they were distributed during Oricon Holidays and all charted prematurely blending two weeks or more combined) and Mr. Children, and a sizeable host of others, have done this same feat @ LEAST that many times or more (half-a-million in the first week) I mean. Unless, f course, they mean directly and consecutively since DEBUTING; but even if THAT's the case, I know of several Johnny's Jimusho acts (Kat-tun,Arashi,and News all keep creeping up in my mind) that have fufilled all the criteria for this as well .. Anyone who knows or cares, please help explain!...I want all these accolades and achievements of Hikki to just be legit more than anything else ...
Posted on: 2010/12/4 17:59
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic