Teruzane: "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Teruzane: "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Shanghai, China
I asked @u3music this morning: Rumor has it that Utada's "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC without any help from Island Records. Is it true?

And I just got the answer from Teruzane Utada:
u3music: Yes. teruzane RT @HencyMiao: @u3music Utada's "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC without any help from IslandRec Is it true?
http://twitter.com/u3music/statuses/11300128891609089

Well, I happened to know this rumor a long time ago and I even translated it here: http://www.utadanet.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=4672&forum=3
But it's still shocking that it's finally confirmed.
Posted on: 2010/12/4 22:37
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Re: Teruzane: "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
Wow, then Island Records hasn't really done anything for Hikki
Posted on: 2010/12/4 22:51
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
I'm quite surprised. Is there any particular reason why Island Records didn't support this?

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/12/5 4:13
  •  IceAngel
      IceAngel
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/Female/UK
I think this is good. It means that Hikki can release whatever footage she wants from the shows without IR saying she cant. When I saw the show in London there was nothing to say that Island Records were involved on the door sign.
Posted on: 2010/12/5 8:24
  •  wadester1990
      wadester1990
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 17 male Missouri
There was a Japanese news article about this a couple of months ago. It talked about the relationship between Utada and IDJ, and that was when they first announced IDJ had nothing to do with this tour. Her and the team wanted to do it, but IDJ didn't feel any money would come out of it. As to not make it such a big deal, that is why Hikaru set up the small amounts of shows across the country in small venues, with so little promotion, as to not get into any more trouble with IDJ. Of course, they found out after wards, and said they were "tired of dealing with Hikaru Utada, whose team does things without asking and not going through the label."

If I find the article, I'll post it up.
Posted on: 2010/12/5 9:38
  •  Mark
      Mark
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

irbk wrote:
I asked @u3music this morning: Rumor has it that Utada's "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC without any help from Island Records. Is it true?

And I just got the answer from Teruzane Utada:
u3music: Yes. teruzane RT @HencyMiao: @u3music Utada's "In The Flesh" tour was solely supported by U3MUSIC without any help from IslandRec Is it true?
http://twitter.com/u3music/statuses/11300128891609089

Well, I happened to know this rumor a long time ago and I even translated it here: http://www.utadanet.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=4672&forum=3
But it's still shocking that it's finally confirmed.

I would have been very surprised by any other answer. I went to a couple of ITF and never saw any IDJ promotional items. I did some back of the envelop calculations and would be willing to bet that based on the venue size and ticket prices that the tour lost money, which I'm sure Utada knew going into it. I always thought of it as a gift from Utada to her USA / London fans. Hopefully, she can at least break even with download/DVD sales. So happy she's not with IDJ anymore.
Posted on: 2010/12/5 9:55
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

wadester1990 wrote:
There was a Japanese news article about this a couple of months ago. It talked about the relationship between Utada and IDJ, and that was when they first announced IDJ had nothing to do with this tour. Her and the team wanted to do it, but IDJ didn't feel any money would come out of it. As to not make it such a big deal, that is why Hikaru set up the small amounts of shows across the country in small venues, with so little promotion, as to not get into any more trouble with IDJ. Of course, they found out after wards, and said they were "tired of dealing with Hikaru Utada, whose team does things without asking and not going through the label."

If I find the article, I'll post it up.

I see. Well, in the first place IDJ didn't really give her the promotions she deserved. They're more concentrated with the Western Artists that they have. And since Hikki is not that big in the west, I believe that they won't take her seriously.. well, the results of Exodus in the US might be an example. Money matters, they won't care whoever you are, just as long as you're great job pays off to the Western audience then you'll be fine with them.

It only depends on Hikki and her staff's will to pursue what they wanted to achieve. Well at least, on the good side.. Hikki is not another robotic artist that brings only good cash to them.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/12/5 10:15
  •  1Brando
      1Brando
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/La Puente, CA
and dont forget now
that Hikki nenewed her contract with EMI. and EMI international now.
so if she wants to do another english album...she can do it through EMI now cant she?
Posted on: 2010/12/5 12:12
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
This isn't very surprising. I would feel somewhat insulted if I expected anything else of IDJ. As it is, I only find it somewhat hypocritical of IDJ to complain about how Utada goes behind their backs to give the fans something nice (which they had no intention of backing in the first place because they have certain economic expectations to uphold and we all know the tour wasn't a money-maker), yet they're perfectly willing to produce "Utada the Best" lacking endorsement from Hikki herself.

Alas, this is business. Utada and IDJ have gone their separate ways; whatever atmosphere of contention there may have been can now be laid to rest. Hopefully any future non-Japanese releases from Utada will be met with better promotion and reception via EMI. I would say the fact that they're permitting a worldwide stream of "WILD LIFE" is a pretty good indication of a comfortable relationship.
Posted on: 2010/12/5 14:57
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
This isn't very surprising. I would feel somewhat insulted if I expected anything else of IDJ. As it is, I only find it somewhat hypocritical of IDJ to complain about how Utada goes behind their backs to give the fans something nice (which they had no intention of backing in the first place because they have certain economic expectations to uphold and we all know the tour wasn't a money-maker), yet they're perfectly willing to produce "Utada the Best" lacking endorsement from Hikki herself.

I agree with you 100%, but IDJ didn't release Utada the Best, UMG did. Utada the Best is a Japanese album, and hasn't been released in the US.
Posted on: 2010/12/6 5:31
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>