<123
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re: Utada In The Flesh Dvd Release?
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London

Check out this photo circa 2002 the guy in the black tank top leaning on Utada chair is one Lyor Cohen.... at the time CEO of Island Def Jam

Japanese Star Hikaru Utada Signs With Island Def Jam.....

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4364943-1.html

http://www.mtv.com/news/yhif/utada/

Quote:

?Word of her success didn't take long to reach the U.S., and Utada was approached by a number of labels to do an English-language album, including Island Def Jam, whose former CEO Lyor Cohen asked the singer to record a song for a soundtrack to see how she fared in English?.......

I would like to leave this thought with you for the moment, because issues that U3 are experiencing now with the release of "in the flesh" DVD I believe are directly attributed to when Lyor Cohen, was CEO of Island Def Jam...but I need to check sources, before posting ...so the background ........

JQ interview with Hikaru Utada ? by Justin Tedaldi..........

Q:So you?re not worried about being thought of as a one-name artist like Prince or Madonna or any of those people?

A:But then, that?s their real names, right? Hey, Sting, Madonna, Bj?rk?

Q:You?re in good company.

A:Yeah! I wouldn?t mind those associations at all.

Q: For the new English album, the first since Exodus almost five years ago, I was around when that came out and I watched all the hoopla that was surrounding it when it was released and listened to it when it first came out. I?m curious, what would you have done differently in hindsight with that album compared to the way you?re going to promote and market the new one?

A: Well, it?s not really a matter of me, it?s the promotional staff, like the record company and what kind of PR we get?actually, there?s a lot to learn from that. I mean, Island Def Jam was really?it on the edge of change and chaos. Nobody knew what they were doing and nobody really knew what was going on and I was just like, ?what the hell is this? No support, come on, man, what?s happening here??....

Q: And you signed that deal?

Q: With [then-Island Def Jam chief] Lyor Cohen?

A: Yes, years prior to that. I was living in Japan at the time when that happened [in 2002], and I thought, ?Oh, it?s probably going to come out very soon,? and I think it was something like a two- or three-year wait?

A: And part of the reason was because of all that happening and?I guess I wasn?t mentally conscious and aware as an artist myself of how to promote myself that I?d never done that kind of stuff before. It?s not really the artist?s thing to worry about-it shouldn?t be, really. But now I?m more hands-on with it. I?m more involved in the promotional aspect of it, too. Because I learned from last time what kind of PR group you choose and have to work with you [on] what you don?t need, what you need, and how much to be in touch with the record company on this and who to be in touch with for what, and all those kinds of quirks with it. There?s a lot to work with it, and now I?m working with THE DOOR this time, we got a different company for that, and?everything?s quite efficient I think, much more efficient than last time, and I feel support, I feel some kind of face-I felt so insecure during the recording and promotion of Exodus, because it didn?t seem like anyone knew what I wanted to do, and I didn?t know how to get it across to these people. We were not on the same page at all, and now it seems we are.

http://jetwit.com/wordpress/2009/06/08/jq-interview-with-hikaru-utada-by-justin-tedaldi/
Posted on: 2011/3/23 8:37
  •  flipbeats
      flipbeats
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L male
all i want is for this to come out... i won't stop waiting

Posted on: 2011/4/15 5:02
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Shanghai, China
oops
Posted on: 2011/4/17 9:35
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
a_kikoo wrote:
Quote:
The America/London shows, two record companies were involved so there has been some troubles with clearance of rights. I want to do everything possible for people to see it, it is under negotiation with all my strength. RT @2yu1i8 @u3music isn't there going to be a DVD release of the concerts in America?

In the U.S., Island Records is self-distributed under the Universal Music Group, while in the U.K., Island is distributed by Mercury Records, another UMG subsidiary. I guess that's probably the two labels involved.

Not to mention, in terms of promotions, IMO, Island has a contrast-like thing in promoting artists. Let say for example (Disclaimer: these are only examples; I never post it here as negative comparisons to Hikki herself), Janet Jackson. Jackson released her only album with Island, "Discipline", in 2008.

Quote:
On September 22, while on the Live Nation-supported tour of North America, Jackson parted company with her recording label Island, their 14-months relationship was dissolved per a request by Jackson. The singer had previously expressed dissatisfaction with the label, first telling SOHH.com that they "stopped all promotion whatsoever on the album" after releasing the first single, "Feedback". In early September she had stated, "I can't say if we'll be working with them in the future. I don't know what the future holds between the two of us". A spokesperson for Jackson added, "[Jackson] will have autonomy over her career, without the restrictions of a label system... Always known to break new ground and set trends, Janet's departure from Island Records makes her one of the first superstar artists to have the individual freedom to promote their work through a variety of avenues such as iTunes, mobile carriers and other diverse and innovative channels".
Jackson told Sister 2 Sister magazine, "There were some people who didn't like the direction I took with this album. I love doing dance songs and I think my fans expect that of me. I have been getting more behind the scenes with film and television. I will probably continue to do music ? and acting is still a strong passion of mine ? but I really have been loving behind-the-scenes work: producing, directing and all the technical stuff". A few months before the split, a spokesperson for the label told Billboard, "Unfortunately we haven't experienced the results we would have liked with this new album. But we respect and support Janet".

Island has been heavily promoting their famous artists at this time, and maybe their only focus than the others.

Well, for the ITF video release, it's release delay for me is good for us fans to expect another release from Hikki (hopefully after WL) even though she is on hiatus. My only opinion.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 1:00
  •  LightSonata
      LightSonata
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
It seems that the release may come to fruition judging from the tweets from Hikki's dad:

"Sorry it's taken so long, but now it is 99% realistic. teruzane RT @daodlionheart Hi Boss Teru! What's up with the In the Flesh footage?"
Posted on: 2013/5/29 10:26
  •  LightSonata
      LightSonata
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Posted on: 2013/5/29 10:31
  •  yoursonnetmylove
      yoursonnetmylove
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Boston, MA
Seriously? OMG! That's great news!
Posted on: 2013/7/4 23:20
  •  mistykz
      mistykz
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Bit more recent, this was posted about 3 weeks ago:

aiming by the end of August. Finally! teruzane RT @DJRossBarney any more news on the In The Flesh tour footage?
Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123