<1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Goodbye Happiness live version uploaded
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
If they had her vocals fixed then they didn't do a very good job. I can't hear practically any difference between this cut and the original stream, aside from the fact that audibly speaking it's infinitely more clear and the visuals are sharper, of course.

Actually they did such an awesome job. There were tons of off-key notes and they managed to fix them in a beautiful way. It's so clear when you watch TV-version of the whole concert or this cut. It's kinda sad that you can't hear such a significant change.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 4:48
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
If they had her vocals fixed then they didn't do a very good job. I can't hear practically any difference between this cut and the original stream, aside from the fact that audibly speaking it's infinitely more clear and the visuals are sharper, of course.

Actually they did such an awesome job. There were tons of off-key notes and they managed to fix them in a beautiful way. It's so clear when you watch TV-version of the whole concert or this cut. It's kinda sad that you can't hear such a significant change.

I have muted the sound on numerous occasions there is so much to enjoy and get excited about, all the visuals, the whole experience, if this is the starter, main course is about to blow your socks off. Emotionally it doesn't get better than this, well not until the 'in the flesh' blue-ray ......I can't tell any significant changes either,now that's a humble opinion you understand.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 9:15
  •  hikaruomega
      hikaruomega
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
did they use the first cocert's audio or the second concert's audio? i think they used the second concert and that's why it sounds different.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 19:57
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
Well...to be blunt, I'm almost entirely sure they fixed up her entire performance. Listen to the wild life goodbye happiness, where she first starts singing "Love me", then compare it to when she actually sang it. for me that was the sign it was fixed.

I don't hear it. I just watched the two videos in tandem and it is exactly the same note (try singing along with her if you can follow music and listen to yourself; did the note you sang change?). It hasn't been pitch corrected at all; it simply sounds infinitely better because the audio quality is infinitely better (also some of the refortifying echo from it was captured on the DVD quality video that was simply absent from the live stream). That goes for the whole song. The official DVD will depict more of the natural depth and character of her voice than the live stream ever did, and that's going to give you an entirely different perspective on her performance.

Quote:

Chris85 wrote:

There are still plenty of flat or strained notes (0:43, 1:03, 1:08, 1:51, I could go on, but you'll notice this aligns exactly with the original broadcast if you care to compare...) and her characteristic dipping, meandering singing style persists. I don't really see how you can call it a significant change if there isn't a significant difference. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I'm kind of confused as to how people aren't hearing the imperfect notes in the official video considering that they are even more obvious than they were before given the audio quality. :/

Quote:

hikaruomega wrote:
did they use the first cocert's audio or the second concert's audio? i think they used the second concert and that's why it sounds different.

Almost certainly the first. I suppose it's possible they interchanged certain segments from one night to the other, but the DVD video parallels the live stream musically from start to finish, so I don't think that's the case.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 20:12
  •  cube
      cube
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/M/NY
Quote:

hikaruomega wrote:

Some songs are from the first night, some are from the second. Second night songs I can remember off the top of my head include Automatic, Niji-Iro Basu, Take 5, Flavor of Life and time will tell (this is assuming that the DVD/Bluray is the same as the TV broadcast).

Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
It's kinda sad that you can't hear such a significant change.

No, what's "kinda sad" is that this argument is still going on.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 20:24
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
Well...to be blunt, I'm almost entirely sure they fixed up her entire performance. Listen to the wild life goodbye happiness, where she first starts singing "Love me", then compare it to when she actually sang it. for me that was the sign it was fixed.

I don't hear it. I just watched the two videos in tandem and it is exactly the same note (try singing along with her if you can follow music and listen to yourself; did the note you sang change?). It hasn't been pitch corrected at all; it simply sounds infinitely better because the audio quality is infinitely better (also some of the refortifying echo from it was captured on the DVD quality video that was simply absent from the live stream). That goes for the whole song. The official DVD will depict more of the natural depth and character of her voice than the live stream ever did, and that's going to give you an entirely different perspective on her performance.

are you listening to the actual edited version? When she sings "Love me, Love me, Love me" after the first chorus, on the last love me she goes a note lower. She was also a LITTLE out of tune on those notes, which made it sound weird. On the edited recording, she hits all the notes, and she doesn't lower the last note on the last "love me". Listen to it again, it's pretty obvious. They fixed a few other notes too.
Posted on: 2011/3/5 21:29
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:

are you listening to the actual edited version? When she sings "Love me, Love me, Love me" after the first chorus, on the last love me she goes a note lower. She was also a LITTLE out of tune on those notes, which made it sound weird. On the edited recording, she hits all the notes, and she doesn't lower the last note on the last "love me". Listen to it again, it's pretty obvious. They fixed a few other notes too.

I'm listening to the two versions that are available and comparing them. Again, I don't deny that there are "differences" in her voice (or at least the way it sounds between the videos), I just don't think it's pitch correction. Again, what I hear is a lapse in audio quality; the higher quality version has a sort of vocal cushioning, part of which is that foundational reverberation I mentioned, which makes her singing sound much smoother and stronger- whereas the lesser sound quality in the live stream made it sound relatively flat and empty. If there's one thing auto-tune doesn't do, it doesn't add MORE depth and clarity to a voice; it puts it on the right note, but at the inevitable cost of its natural vibrato and texture, which is precisely what we hear more, not less, of in the high quality video. Meanwhile, as far as I can tell, her vocal register from note to note remains unaltered.

In precise regards to the "love me" verses, I suppose we could endlessly debate over what we each hear (I've already given you my opinion that there's no recognizable difference), but I'd like to know if you contend that there are no flaws (flat notes, dropped notes, etc.) whatsoever in the high quality video? Because if you accept that there are (feel free to examine any of my prior examples), perhaps you could rationalize why they would selectively correct certain mistakes and leave others unaccounted for? It seems to me that if they're going to go to the effort of fixing her voice, applying it to a comparatively small number of slightly off-key misfires is somewhat nonsensical. And the third "love me" never even goes off-key; yes, she drops her voice (in both videos), but that sounded possibly intentional and improvisational since the scale between the two notes present was perfectly valid; it sounded to me like something Hikki does when she sings live quite often.
Posted on: 2011/3/6 0:39
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Shurikid, I mixed both versions into one just for you. (it would be better if I compared one line at a time but it'd take too long)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4of2e83ccx22j3u
Take a listen. It's ibvious (at least IMO)that they're from the same night but they often don't match because one Utada is as she was and the second one is edited. And as 山本_passion noticed, the "love me" part is way too obvious. If there were no alterations both versions would match perfectly. You can't blame it on "no, they just used her voice from the second night". I repeat, one Utada is always in tune while the second one is off-key from time to time. That's a good thing that they fixed her vocals, what's the big deal?
They do it all the time with Hamasaki Ayumi concert DVD releases, all the flaws that we can hear each year in live broadcasted Countdown lives are always removed for DVDs. It's a common practice.
Posted on: 2011/3/6 4:08
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Shurikid, I mixed both versions into one just for you. (it would better if I compared one line at a time but it'd take too long)
Take a listen. It's ibvious (at least IMO)that they're from the same night but they often don't match because one Utada is as she was and the second one is edited. And as 山本_passion noticed, the "love me" part is way too obvious. If there were no alterations both versions would match perfectly. You can't blame it on "no, they just used her voice from the second night". I repeat, one Utada is always in tune while the second one is off-key from time to time. That's a good thing that they fixed her vocals, what's the big deal?
They do it all the time with Hamasaki Ayumi concert DVD releases, all the flaws that we can hear each year in live broadcasted Countdown lives are always removed for DVDs. It's a common practice.

Thanks for putting that together. I'm not going to download it (it's nothing personal, trust me), but I'd appreciate it if you could possibly upload it onto YouTube or some other video source so that I could examine it. :3

For the sake of clarification, I never claimed that they were using video clips from the second night. Ever.

Also, did you observe the timing notations I gave you for the DVD quality video in which she is, in fact, off-key? I can offer you more, if you'd like.

Comparisons between Ayumi (or any singer) and Utada are irrelevant. Simply because one performer does something does not entail a necessity that all should follow suit. Ayumi, I'm sure, has her reasons for fixing her vocals for her, er, "live" concert DVDs. I'm of the opinion that Utada hasn't-- common practice or not. Attempting to dissuade someone from a particular viewpoint by citing some kind of (arguable) consensus (as if majority rules essentially equates to any real logic) makes for a very weak argument; I'm much more interested in your video, and how it's going to present your stance while also providing some evidence as to what you're insisting. It'll be the first we've gotten since you started perpetuating these claims.
Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:07
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 25/male/Russia
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

Chris85 wrote:
Shurikid, I mixed both versions into one just for you. (it would be better if I compared one line at a time but it'd take too long)

Thanks for putting that together. I'm not going to download it (it's nothing personal, trust me), but I'd appreciate it if you could possibly upload it onto YouTube or some other video source so that I could examine it. :3

For the sake of clarification, I never claimed that they were using video clips from the second night. Ever.

Also, did you observe the timing notations I gave you for the DVD quality video in which she is, in fact, off-key? I can offer you more, if you'd like.

Ok, now you want my youtube channel to get blocked for copyright issues. Hell no It's EASY to download one mp3 file. If you don't wanna do this, I can't help it. I did listen to the so-called off-key moments. Yeah, some of them are SLIGHTLY off-key but they're nothing comparing to the major flaws she did which were fixed. But unless you listen to the double version, you can't tell who's right. BTW under the fear of death I'd swear that Utada United is fixed too (because it is)! You can go personal on me for saying so too LOL
Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:28
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>