Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Has Utada been approached for support in Japan relief efforts?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Mark
      Mark
Re: Has Utada been approached for support in Japan relief efforts?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
If someone makes a sizable public donation, my preferred interpretation is that they are doing so hoping that the news will boost the morale of the victims. But no doubt some do so for their own publicity benefits. Frankly, if someone wants to get some publicity by materially helping those stricken people, I'm not going to condemn them. There are less worthy ways to get publicity.

I think anyone who has listened to Hikki's music and interviews knows how empathetic and generous she is. It never occurred to me that she would not make a considerable donation. I think she is too classy and private to publicize it.

I meant publicize the amount, that is.
Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:02
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Utada Hikaru: The Largest Earthquake in My Life....

http://www.worldnewsco.com/4225/utada-hikaru-largest-earthquake-life/

Utada has shared her experiences, openly, naturally and supported public initiatives to save precious resources, highlighted issues such as panic buying and unnecessary hording and also found the time to introduce fans to ?rebirth project? ..........

My own humble opinion is all money donations are matter of personal conscience which explains why Utada has elected to keep certain details private...briefing those details to the media is like standing in the middle of a busy road, you could end up getting run over from either direction .....

As a matter of interest...

Mika?s Blog ?Life Examination? has an interesting post by naturner ...

?Are Celebrities Donating to Japan Hobbesian Agents??...posted on Saturday last..

Thomas Hobbes? Leviathan... ?the notion of psychological egoism ? the idea that humans are always motivated by self-interest?.

Mika LaVaque-Manty is Associate Professor of Political Science and Philosophy at the University of Michigan...

http://lifeexaminations.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/are-celebrities-donating-to-japan-hobbesian-agents/

Last paragraph....

?I believe this situation is quite conflicting. On one hand, these celebrities appear to be self-interested because they are promoting their own products in an attempt to raise awareness. On the other hand, many of them are donating 100% of the proceeds from their products to various organizations, thus making their actions seem purely selfless and motivated by noble intentions. Hobbes would most likely argue that these celebrities are selfish agents purely interested in publicizing their good image to the world, thus contributing even more to their fame and fortune. What do you guys think??
Posted on: 2011/3/23 3:48
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:

The bottom line is that she should make her donation public or people will assume she didn't give anything.

Honestly, on my mind I've been curious if Hikki had donated money for the victims of the tsunami before. I never said it bluntly in the forums as what you did. And I don't want to start flame here but I seriously think that your posts have gone too offensive now. Sorry, I just can't digest most of your posts anymore, if you have your own opinions, you may always say it but not in a way like you wanted to start a fight amongst the members here.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if people would assume that she didn't care about it and sent no donations at all. You can see all her little efforts on twitter tho, but it would be a coward move if she randomly says "I donated 100million yen for the charity, etc." and clearly.. she spends most of her time doing things in the outside world. You can never compare her to Ayumi who sent 35million Yen and Namie Amuro who sent 50million Yen that announced it publicly. Celebrities are appealing even for a time like this, I know. And I've always had this question in my mind before, "why won't she use her fame to attract people send in donations?". But I thought that Hikki is not hungry for attention. And I know she's doing what she can right now. It may not be viewable to the human eye, but God can see what she does, I believe.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2011/3/23 12:57
  •  brunangii
      brunangii
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 0/yes/here
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
The bottom line is that she should make her donation public or people will assume she didn't give anything.

then let the doucebags make their assumptions. the same people will say she's doing it for publicity if she announced how much she donated. so it's a "damned if you don't, damned if you don't" situation.
bottom line: people should concern themselves with what they're doing to help and not someone else. celebrity or not.
Your car is German. Your vodka is Russian. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your democracy is Greek. Your coffee is Brazilian. Your movies are American. Your tea is Tamil. Your shirt is Indian. Your oil is Saudi Arabian. Your electronics a...
Posted on: 2011/3/23 19:08
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
http://www.emimusic.jp/hikki/from_hikki/index.php

Need to question about her donation more?

Quote:
On March 11th, a massive earthquake and tsunami hit North Japan, taking the lives of countless people, leaving many survivors homeless, in the cold, with no gas, no electricity, no running water, and in fear of radiation leaking from a nuclear power plant.
This is the biggest natural disaster recorded in Japanese history in a thousand years.
After the earthquake I gave 400 ml of my blood to a blood bank, and made a donation to Japan's Red Cross. At times like these, we need to help one another, do what we can the each of us. Please help Japan, it doesn't matter how much you give. One way to make a donation is through your country's Red Cross, by specifying its use for Japan's earthquake and tsunami victims.

There is something we can all learn from what is happening in Japan. For decades we have depended on nuclear power. It has made possible quick economic growth and a "convenient" society, but also a lifestyle that is very wasteful.
This catastrophe has made many of us in Japan realize that we have been taking many things for granted---food, energy, daily supplies, running water, resources, life.
You don't have to wait until you lose everything, to learn that what you have is precious. If we all save energy, use only what we need, and live responsibly for what we consume, we can make the world a safer, more peaceful place, for us all.

All of us in Japan are very grateful, we are all touched deeply, by the support we have received from overseas. Thank you. I wish you all love, and peace.

Hikaru Utada

I hope all of you would be satisfied after reading this..

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2011/3/25 20:19
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
So basically she is saying

"YES I DONATED, NOW SHUT THE HELL UP!" in a nice way :).
Posted on: 2011/3/25 21:38
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Posted on: 2011/3/26 16:24
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
yen

I was like "wow" at first, but I realized it was yen (stupid me). Still a good job.
Posted on: 2011/3/26 18:09
  •  Mark
      Mark
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/110327/gnj1103270435006-n1.htm

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/entertainment/news/20110327-OHT1T00002.htm

and here it says she gave 80 million.[/quote

Akiko, did Utada or someone else announce the amount? Thx.
Posted on: 2011/3/26 18:24
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
oops sorry I forgot to write "yen".

but heres a Tokyo Hive translation:
http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/03/utada-hikaru-sends-out-a-message-regarding-the-tohoku-earthquake/

Hikki didn't announce the amount she donated herself but an authorized person did (staff, etc.)
Posted on: 2011/3/26 19:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12