Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Rumor control: Is Hikki's contract up in December?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  shuyin_zer0
      shuyin_zer0
Rumor control: Is Hikki's contract up in December?
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 18/m/Canada
I figured that somebody here would have a more solid answer, but when Utada announced new music, there was a lot of speculation going around that her contract required her to release another album by December 31st, 2015, as it would be her last required album before she negotiates a new one.

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Posted on: 2015/9/30 19:38
  •  Hikki07
      Hikki07
Re: Rumor control: Is Hikki's contract up in December?
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Not sure how true this is. Hikki said she wanted to release a new album early next year which goes against what her label wants, but I assume she has some power.
Posted on: 2015/10/1 12:23
  •  kayoko
      kayoko
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 30/M/KOR
Her wiki says that Universal Music Japan said she has one more album left before it expires, and didn't state a set time of expiration.
I don't think the contract is a big issue. She'll be taken care of either way. I'm sure a label will pick her up if her Universal doesn't renew.

Hi Q.
Posted on: 2015/10/1 21:12
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

kayoko wrote:

Hi Q.

Hi.

These are the last details about Hikki's contract that I can remember: http://www.examiner.com/article/hikaru-utada-s-contract-with-island-def-jam-ends-signs-internationally-with-emi-music

So she was signed with EMI Japan and Island Def Jam/Universal before, then all her material would be under EMI (And be only known as Hikaru Utada).
But since then, EMI Japan has been dissolved into Universal. So she is under Universal again.

I have a feeling since she was just going on hiatus as this contract was negotiated - there is likely no time limit, or an extension clause.
Posted on: 2015/10/3 20:38
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic