12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  berryz
      berryz
Suggestions for books
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
i love reading, so i spend alot of time reading. last year i read so many books, alot of them were great. now, when i pick up a book, i feel that this book will not be as good as the previous one. so do you guys have any suggestions for good books?!? (please dont list long long long books... cause i get tired even if its extremely interesting!!)

right now, im reading 'Across the nightingale floor'. its good so far. but, to finish the series, i have to read two more books after that.
Posted on: 2006/4/5 4:36
  •  Bizzaro
      Bizzaro
Re: Suggestions for books
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/F/CA
What kind of books are you looking for? Some of my favorites are:

Catch-22, by Heller (humor)
The Great Gatsby/The Beautiful and Damned by Fitzgerald, or really anything by him. Its a lil deep though, lots of rhetoric etc.
Lolita, by Nabokov (a lot of people think the subject matter is too risque, so watch out for this one if you arent into that)
And I hear Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is good, but I haven't read it yet.

I also really like fairy tales and mythology. If you haven't read the Chronicles of Narnia yet, DO SO. It is one of my dearest childhood favorites!! My favorite of the series was probably the Magician's nephew. (I have yet to see the movie... though I want to)
Posted on: 2006/4/5 10:35
  •  berryz
      berryz
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
ok, thanks.
i only recognize Nanrnia from your list. my cousin has the book, so ill give it a try.
Posted on: 2006/4/5 22:53
  •  Bizzaro
      Bizzaro
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/F/CA
Oh yeah, and if you can get yourself a well translated copy of Candide by Voltaire, you should read that too.
Posted on: 2006/4/6 7:06
  •  -kairi-
      -kairi-
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/F/Spain
Narnia!!! I've read those books!!!I like them very much If you'r going to read it...I suggest you to start with the 3rd one: "The horse and his boy" It's really good
Posted on: 2006/4/6 7:35
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/ male/ Polkton, N.C.
Quote:

berryz wrote:
i love reading, so i spend alot of time reading. last year i read so many books, alot of them were great. now, when i pick up a book, i feel that this book will not be as good as the previous one. so do you guys have any suggestions for good books?!? (please dont list long long long books... cause i get tired even if its extremely interesting!!)

right now, im reading 'Across the nightingale floor'. its good so far. but, to finish the series, i have to read two more books after that.

Holy smoke! I've allready read that book and the entire series. You'll love it! The ending is soo awesome. Plus, they actually address religion as being all the same. The Otomi series is probably one of the greatest series that I've ever read. I promise.
Posted on: 2006/4/8 6:51
  •  berryz
      berryz
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
alright, so im gonna try to get Candide by Voltaire, Narnia and the other 2 books of the Otori series.

hey jake, is Takeo and Lady Shirakawa still the main characters in book 2 and 3??
im loving this series, i recommend it to anyone!!
Posted on: 2006/4/9 1:14
  •  Meruru
      Meruru
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19/F/Lisbon
If you like fantasy books, I can reccomend an awsome and very original trilogy named "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. It's amazingly well written and the story is absolutely hooking with awsome, very well built characters.

The trilogy is composed by 3 books:

"Northern Lights" (also known as "The Golden Compass")
"The Subtle Knife"
"The Amber Spyglass"

It starts off a bit slow in "Northern Lights" and it just gets better as it goes. I highly reccomend it!:)
Posted on: 2006/4/9 7:50
  •  Bizzaro
      Bizzaro
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/F/CA
OMG I used to love His Dark Materials, I read them a couple years ago, very riveting! Definitely check those out.

Also, In the chronicles of Narnia there are seven volumes... "narnia" is not just one book. It is a pet peeve of mine when people refer to the lion, the witch and the wardrobe movie as "narnia," because that is not what it is called!! Grrr!

Anyway. Candide is a good book, but its a satire and requires some thought and background to really understand. (just fyi... you dont really need it to enjoy the book though)
Posted on: 2006/4/9 11:48
  •  clgan
      clgan
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
its been long time...I didnt even read any books....but i have read a book that is quite interesting about some ancient egyptian story...cant really remember the title if you are interested i can find it out for you....^^
Posted on: 2006/4/9 18:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>