Memoirs of a Geisha

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Memoirs of a Geisha
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 16/F/AL
I read the book a few years ago and I absolutely loved it, so I was psyched to hear about the movie. I finally got to see it a few weeks ago and it was more than I could've imagined. It was so well made and flowed smoothly. It also covered all (or so I think) of the most important points in the book. Anybody else enjoy it (or maybe not)? And I suggest reading the book for those who enjoy to read, even if you've saw the movie.
Posted on: 2006/4/20 21:00
Re: Memoirs of a Geisha
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/ male/ Polkton, N.C.
Yeah, I have yet to read the book, but I loved the movie. However, I doubt that I would be glued to the book that well. I'm not really into books that don't contain battles involving two people and weapons. So yeah. However, I might try and read it whenever I get the time.
Posted on: 2006/4/21 5:40
  •  riku
      riku
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 16/Female/Belgium
i'm going to watch the movie soon. it looked pritty awsome.
but i haven't read the book yet. got the autor? i've been searching for it for a while. it really looks awsome.
Posted on: 2006/4/21 11:18
  •  tombraiderjmm
      tombraiderjmm
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L
The movie is tight! <3 It's so cool, they did a really good job at it. LOL I saw it in theaters and we rented it again. LOL geisha boot camp was cool to watch. x3
Posted on: 2006/4/21 14:01
  •  Bizzaro
      Bizzaro
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/F/CA
Bleh... I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the movie? I read the book, and I had a different image in my mind than that which the movie created. So I was all blahrg.
Posted on: 2006/4/21 18:15
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 16/F/AL
Quote:

riku wrote:
i'm going to watch the movie soon. it looked pritty awsome.
but i haven't read the book yet. got the autor? i've been searching for it for a while. it really looks awsome.

The book is by Arthur Golden.

That's ok Bizzaro! I was wondering what the other side's argument/reasons would be like. And I always like to hear different opinions. To be honest, I almost always use anime characters for book characters in my mind, but that's me, lol.
Posted on: 2006/4/21 19:20
  •  Bizzaro
      Bizzaro
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/F/CA
Haha sorry, my description of "blahrg" wasn't very articulate. Specifically, I didn't like how fast the movie felt, and how all the details were left out (because I am a detail-oriented person.) I also felt like culturally people know so little about Japan, that the movie didn't really get the chance to properly engage the viewer in a different culture like the book. (For those of you who have read it, remember the part where she is planning to run away with her sister, but forgets to check the almanac? I'm sad they didnt include that part! and like. all these other parts... the movie didn't have the same drawn out feeling as the book)

Also, the actors were all friggin chinese!!! (At least, the two main ones were)
Posted on: 2006/4/21 23:22
  •  kamirunokan
      kamirunokan
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20 /Male /Malaysia
Hait... i don't think there's any japanese...
Posted on: 2006/4/22 1:41
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 16/F/AL
Those are all very good points! I would agree with you wholeheartedly, but I was so happy just to get to see the book in movie form that it didn't really phase me. I was wondering where the actors were from...I'm a detail-oriented person, too, it's just been years since I read the book...^_^"
Posted on: 2006/4/22 10:30
  •  Hikaru175
      Hikaru175
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 15 - Male - Puerto Rico
Wow! Ive seen the book in the store, Ive seen the movie poster, but I havent seen anything yet. lol. But really, it looks very interesting, I've thought about picking it up and buying it but I havent yet. Why? I don't know.
Posted on: 2006/4/22 10:44
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>