Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Beautiful World depicts the story of...two gay men?!

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Beautiful World depicts the story of...two gay men?!
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15/ F/ Singapore
this occured to me last night.

could beautiful world be depicting two gay men?

the chorus has the line "beautiful boy" and one chorus has "boku no sekai.."

boku is a pronoun used by boys to say "I" as in "me" if it was a girl it would be "atashi"

again, it could be because the supposed narrator of the "story " in beautiful world is a tomboy/butch... who refers to herself as boku instead of atashi.

so what do you think?
Posted on: 2007/12/15 2:12
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: Beautiful World depicts the story of...two gay men?!
guest_Unregistered
it wouldn't be the first time she has alluded to homosexuality in one of her songs.
Posted on: 2007/12/15 7:15
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
Atashi has a syllable more than boku, so I think there's that to take into account, also. You know, she could just be making it fit better, since both are acceptable.

Interesting idea, though!
Posted on: 2007/12/15 8:55
  •  CrescentLupin9
      CrescentLupin9
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 24/F/CA
Well it could be from the view of kaworu, the silver haired boy in neon genesis evangellion, since in the story he did like shinji (the main boy) but it seems that shinji only had eyes the silver hair girl. And bothe silver hair girl & boy was the conflictor in the story too, so it could be that * - *
Posted on: 2007/12/15 11:38
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
hmmmm instresting
Posted on: 2007/12/15 13:25
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Erith wrote:

boku is a pronoun used by boys to say "I" as in "me" if it was a girl it would be "atashi"

again, it could be because the supposed narrator of the "story " in beautiful world is a tomboy/butch... who refers to herself as boku instead of atashi.

so what do you think?

I don't know Japanese,

But in Evangelion it can be argued that Shinji, the main character, is gay. He doesn't get sexually aroused by any of the girls he meets.

When Kaworu comes in fairly late in the series, Shinji is unusually open with him.
There are several actions between them that suggest a sexual relationship. (sleeping, showers, dialogue)

I don't quite get what you mean with the grammar stuff Erith...
Posted on: 2007/12/15 14:40
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
I saw the Evangelion Movie, and the unmistakable impression I got from the first scene is that Shinji was uh...

Well, that was a weird movie, anyway.
Posted on: 2007/12/15 15:26
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Quote:

^Eclipse wrote:
Quote:

Erith wrote:

so what do you think?

I don't know Japanese,

But in Evangelion it can be argued that Shinji, the main character, is gay. He doesn't get sexually aroused by any of the girls he meets.

When Kaworu comes in fairly late in the series, Shinji is unusually open with him.
There are several actions between them that suggest a sexual relationship. (sleeping, showers, dialogue)

I don't quite get what you mean with the grammar stuff Erith...

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what Erith means, but I can offer my opinion to what she might have meant.

Okay 1 she might be alluding to the fact that whoever hikki is singing for is a man, because that person refered to themselves as boku. I remember in shoujou kakumei utena the heroine refered toherself as boku (so the pronoun is associated with males), but she also had strong hints of homosexuality to her. And 2 that the mentioning of beautiful and boy in the same sentence (and its not refering to a malice mizer member) in and of itself is gay. How many times have you described any male as beautiful? Hell when have you called another man hansome? Also to call something beautiful implys that the sight (or sound or whatever) of it pleases you...

Now she might not have meant any of the things I just mentioned, but just adding stuff for the sake of conversation

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2007/12/15 15:37
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Roscoe wrote:
I saw the Evangelion Movie, and the unmistakable impression I got from the first scene is that Shinji was uh...

Well, that was a weird movie, anyway.

Every single character in that movie is a mental nutcase.
Posted on: 2007/12/15 17:49
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 55/M/USA
I had no idea until now that the earlier rendering of the "Beautiful World" song, titled "Evangelion" actually referred to a filmed story with plot line and characters. That being said, any theories are acceptable to me. I find both the song melody and lyrics highly evocative and artful. Here is a version with both English and anglicized Japanese subtitles: Beautiful World piano arrangement - Beautiful Song and Lyrics
Posted on: 2007/12/15 18:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234>