•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Paine101
      Paine101
Japan...What I need to know
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 15/Female/America
Hey guys,
This summer, I'm going to be leaving the U.S to go to Japan and I need to know as much as possible so I don't look like an "American Idiot" to them. So...to those who are living in or know anything about Japan...can you help me?
Posted on: 2007/12/24 14:58
  •  CrescentLupin9
      CrescentLupin9
Re: Japan...What I need to know
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 24/F/CA
oooooooh i love ur siggy Gackt & hikki! x333333
Posted on: 2007/12/24 15:00
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Quote:

Paine101 wrote:
Hey guys,
This summer, I'm going to be leaving the U.S to go to Japan and I need to know as much as possible so I don't look like an "American Idiot" to them. So...to those who are living in or know anything about Japan...can you help me?

Sorry to break it to you, but there is nothing you can do to make yourself not look like an stupid american. You can learn the language, be versed in their poetry, you can play a teiko better than them, you can be respectful, but you will always be a 外人(gaijin). The japanese are very xenophobic. But I must admit, the younger people are less like that, but with old people...forget it. Now what you can do is not act like an *ss when you go to drink. You can be respectful, and you can be friendly. These things will earn you lots of friends in japan. Well the ones interested in gaijin. Well the major thing is not to rock the boat... Their culture frowns upon it... But If you are respectful, your time there should be enjoyable. But try to learn some japanese before you leave. Not every japanese person will know english, but a lot will, but just incase, learn some elementary japanese, just in case you run into someone who only knows japanese. Also get used to rice. Its not america...they eat rice with almost every meal. Try to make a friend in japan before you go. It will be so much easier!

Sorry if it came off as harsh at the start, but just telling you what I have learned and what I experienced. I spent 3 months there. But I talk to lots of americans who live in japan. direct your questions to gaijinpot.com, they are experts.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2007/12/24 17:29
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
good luck with your trip Paine101! Send our love to Hikaru-san if you meet her there!

btw nice looking siggy but i think its too big, better resize it, or lord snow will take it away.
Posted on: 2007/12/24 17:47
  •  Lord Snow
      Lord Snow
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

Paine101 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm not entirely sure that the majority of people here actually live in Japan so much as are fans of some aspects of it's culture.

I'd recommend a guy named Azrael's editorials "I Am a Japanese School Teacher" editorials for a quick and dirty look at the things that might make you o.O while you're there but it seems to be down at the moment...

I'd recommend just being yourself, perhaps a little more courteous and polite than you are normally and respect the fact that while you may find aspects of their culture strange and bizarre, it doesn't quite mean that it's WRONG to them...

Unless you run across a vending machine that sells USED panties (true o.o) or an arcade game that simulates poking people in the butt with fingers put together of both hands (also true...scarily, look up "kancho" on Wikipedia).

Welcome to Unet and have a nice stay :)
Posted on: 2007/12/24 20:10
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Quote:

Paine101 wrote:
Hey guys,

omg ur so lucky ur going to japan!!! =D can i come with?? xD

what part of japan are u going too? and are u gonna try to meet hikki! if u are u got to take me with u on ur trip >.< xD lolz

well anyways good luck and have fun there ^^

btw nice siggy ^_^
Posted on: 2007/12/24 20:50
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
Quote:

jigenbakuda wrote:
Quote:

Paine101 wrote:
Hey guys,

Sorry to break it to you, but there is nothing you can do to make yourself not look like an stupid american. You can learn the language, be versed in their poetry, you can play a teiko better than them, you can be respectful, but you will always be a 外人(gaijin). The japanese are very xenophobic. But I must admit, the younger people are less like that, but with old people...forget it. Now what you can do is not act like an *ss when you go to drink. You can be respectful, and you can be friendly. These things will earn you lots of friends in japan. Well the ones interested in gaijin. Well the major thing is not to rock the boat... Their culture frowns upon it... But If you are respectful, your time there should be enjoyable. But try to learn some japanese before you leave. Not every japanese person will know english, but a lot will, but just incase, learn some elementary japanese, just in case you run into someone who only knows japanese. Also get used to rice. Its not america...they eat rice with almost every meal. Try to make a friend in japan before you go. It will be so much easier!

Sorry if it came off as harsh at the start, but just telling you what I have learned and what I experienced. I spent 3 months there. But I talk to lots of americans who live in japan. direct your questions to gaijinpot.com, they are experts.

Ok, some things hes saying here are true, but things like "always eating rice" isnt exactly true and the Gaijin thing doesnt seem to really mean anything, well im not sure about grandparents and all but my host family and my friend's host family never referred us to gaijin or anything like that. You WILL be eating rice more than usual but you wont eat it EVERY day. When I went to Japan, I ate rice, actually, I ate rice a little less then I usually eat here in America, but im Asian, I live off of rice. Anyways, a couple of tips. When you talk to the Japanese people, don't give up on trying to communicate with people. Sure they might not understand what you might be saying, but making a few gestures to help them understand is always a good way to make communication. Giving up trying to communicate with them make them feel uncomfortable and stuff. Oh and taking a shower in Japan is quite different. Probably the RUDEST thing you can do it waste their water in their showers. Apparently, water tax in Japan is quite high so you will have to take a shower the Japanese way. That way is taking a quick rinse, turn off the shower, cover yourself with soap, shampoo, etc. and rinse it off. After, you can choose to take a nice and soothing bath in their little mini tub, this is HELLA RELAXING! Oh and if (You are staying with a host family right?) your host family is kinda bugging you too take a shower, it probably mean they want to take a shower cause in Japan, they have a special order in which family members takes baths. 1st is guest, 2nd is grandparents, 3rd is parents, and 4th-5th is children from oldest to youngest.

Really thats all you need to know. Just be friendly, talk alot, try to communicate with them as much as you can so it shows you have a bright personality. Hope you have as much fun as I did when I went to Japan.

Oh and question, which part of Japan are you going too?
Posted on: 2007/12/25 3:01
  •  laijunjie14
      laijunjie14
Show Off!
A/S/L 24/M/Singapore
where's lawliet when we need him?
Posted on: 2007/12/25 9:10
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i know... where is lawliet? 0.o
Posted on: 2007/12/25 13:21
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
Well, I haven't gone to Japan myself - but I did go to a short seminar once about preparing for a trip (mostly money saving aspects). This is what I picked up from it:

I guess there are these bed and breakfast type places that are a real money saver as far as living arangements. The guy I spoke with said they're much cheaper than a regular hotel, and a lot better in terms of an "authentic" Japanese cultural experience.

Another thing they mentioned is that it's a good idea to get a railroad pass if you're covering a lot of territory.

They also said not to tip waitresses, busboys, or housekeeping. I suppose it's considered an insult, because those professions are paid normal living wages, unlike in America, where tips are pretty much expected as part of your salary. I forgot to ask if it was okay to tip strippers.
Posted on: 2007/12/25 15:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>