12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Korean names
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Well I have a question. Now First off let me say this is not a racist question, also I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just curious. But my question is, why do korean names have 3 names? Is it like the english (british, I think its british, might go back farther in european history) way of naming, which includes a middle name. Or is it a joining of the father and mother's name? Could someone help me understand?

I think korean names are instantly recognizable in english letters and the language is instantly recognizable because of the circles in the characters(picture words). So since I can almost always spot a korean name, I want to know why they are so unique.

I also notice the last name (or perhaps the first) is hyphenated, why?

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2008/1/31 14:15
  •  S0ySauce
      S0ySauce
Re: Korean names
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L I'm not a dude
I don't think it's three names. It's kinda like Chinese, there's three characters or syllables.

Where's Konni?
Posted on: 2008/1/31 15:12
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
yup Konni-san can clear this matter. nothing better but trough a korean himself.

so thus koreans mention their family name first than their given name? like the japanese.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 18:36
  •  kayoko
      kayoko
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 30/M/KOR
Quote:

jigenbakuda wrote:
Well I have a question. Now First off let me say this is not a racist question, also I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just curious. But my question is, why do korean names have 3 names? Is it like the english (british, I think its british, might go back farther in european history) way of naming, which includes a middle name. Or is it a joining of the father and mother's name? Could someone help me understand?

I think korean names are instantly recognizable in english letters and the language is instantly recognizable because of the circles in the characters(picture words). So since I can almost always spot a korean name, I want to know why they are so unique.

simple man...the first character is of course the family name usual in asian families...then the next two characters are your given name...it really has nothing to do with your mom and dad's name put together...you pronounce it (both characters and thats your name) in america i kinda put the second character as a middle name...take my name for example...my name is ji min..i kinda put min as a middle name and just go by ji in public...you dont have to...either way you put it..it doesnt really matter...and yea i can spot a korean name written in english anywhere...though i look at the family name...

and the reason for the hyphenation is that, well first of all the person's given name is hyphenated not the family name...when american people see a korean name..i kinda think that they tend to say the first name(character) and assume that the second name(character) is their middle so they dont say it...i think its hyphenated to make the people see that the two characters are the person's whole name not first and middle...

does that make sense...i can clear it up for you better if ya dont understand this..
Posted on: 2008/2/1 6:11
  •  LindaLamb
      LindaLamb
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/Female/USA
Hmm interesting.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 6:25
  •  S0ySauce
      S0ySauce
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L I'm not a dude
It's like Chinese, but I don't see Chinese names with hyphens.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 17:01
  •  laijunjie14
      laijunjie14
Show Off!
A/S/L 24/M/Singapore
Quote:

konnichiwa-san wrote:
Quote:

jigenbakuda wrote:

simple man...the first character is of course the family name usual in asian families...then the next two characters are your given name...it really has nothing to do with your mom and dad's name put together...you pronounce it (both characters and thats your name) in america i kinda put the second character as a middle name...take my name for example...my name is ji min..i kinda put min as a middle name and just go by ji in public...you dont have to...either way you put it..it doesnt really matter...and yea i can spot a korean name written in english anywhere...though i look at the family name...

and the reason for the hyphenation is that, well first of all the person's given name is hyphenated not the family name...when american people see a korean name..i kinda think that they tend to say the first name(character) and assume that the second name(character) is their middle so they dont say it...i think its hyphenated to make the people see that the two characters are the person's whole name not first and middle...

does that make sense...i can clear it up for you better if ya dont understand this..

no different from chinese
Posted on: 2008/2/1 21:14
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
my name has 3 words plus a hyphen lolz ^^
Posted on: 2008/2/1 22:33
  •  kayoko
      kayoko
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 30/M/KOR
Quote:

laijunjie14 wrote:
Quote:

konnichiwa-san wrote:

no different from chinese

well, korean did come from chinese
Posted on: 2008/2/4 6:21
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
I am so sorry, I never said my thanks for the explanation. I'm so rude. I think I understand. Well its pretty much what I thought. But I wanted to be sure. Thanks for my lesson in culture.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2008/2/6 17:26
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>