Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  skinnyaznkid
      skinnyaznkid
Poster Design Suggestions
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Florida
Hey, I'm trying to make a Hikki Poster for my room and or locker but i'm not an expert of photoshop. I was trying to copy the poster that came with the cd. If anyone has any suggestions for the poster that would be helpful. I'm going to try to print it at Kinkos but i'm not really sure how big i can print it with a 1000 x 1405. If you need the .psd file i can send it to you. Thanks

There's something wrong with the font type or color.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 17:56
Re: Poster Design Suggestions
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 100 / Female / USA
Well I'm not an expert at photoshop, either...but as for the text part, I might have a suggestion. Ok, I did notice that when you "stroked" the text (like, put a border around it), you used colors that all sorta match with each other. Which is a good idea, but certain parts just look...awkward? Like maybe you should try using the SAME color border for all of the text. Or use a darker color, because light colored borders don't show up that well. Also, is that font called Arial Black? (or something similar to that) It looks kind of plain, but it's not that bad. You can always customize it a little bit, like change the width of spacing between letters. Or just use an entirely new font that might match the theme of the poster.

***If you're going to keep the font and colors exactly the same...***:

Then what I would do is, firstly, stroke the text with a 3px border (I think that's what you used, anyway) - then highlight the text, go to layers > layer style > bevel and emboss. Then set the settings like this:

Style: Inner Bevel
Technique: Smooth
Depth: 100%
Direction: Up
Size: 6
Soften: 0
Angle: 83 Degrees
[check the box that says Use Global Light]
Altitude: 51 Degrees
[ignore the "gloss contour" feature, just leave it as default, which is the first option]
Leave 'anti-aliased' unchecked.
Highlight Mode: Screen (leave the color set as white)
Opacity: 100%
Shadow mode: Soft light (leave the color set as black)
Then click OK.

It should look something like this. At least for the UTADA HIKARU part...

And you can just customize all the other text of the poster like that too.

Or just use your own imagination or whatever, like these examples I did.

And you can always rotate the text or change the opacity if you want...

Well you know, whatever floats your boat. [= And for Utada herself, maybe you could add a slight outer glow? Or trace (using a brush tool at size 1-3 px in black, or a matching coral/turquoise) her outline - and it doesn't need to be anywhere near perfect. In fact, it's supposed to be a bit messy. And you can download some tape brushes and put them at the corners of the poster to give it a more realistic look, maybe? Hard to picture all of this, so I've got a sample.

Ok well that's all I can think of right now. Obviously you don't have to follow any of what I say, it's just the stuff I normally think of. :]

Posted on: 2008/3/19 20:45
  •  skinnyaznkid
      skinnyaznkid
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Florida
omigosh!! THANK YOU THANK YOU! I would have never thought to use gradients and bevels on the text. I failed art in grade school because i don't have any artistic visual mind, but i do have a musical mind. I was to copy the poster that came with the cd and the font was closest to arial. I was looking around on dafonts.com but still trying to find a good one.
Posted on: 2008/3/19 22:27
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 100 / Female / USA
You're welcome. Good luck! :]

Posted on: 2008/3/20 9:56
  •  S0ySauce
      S0ySauce
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L I'm not a dude
Umm, I suck with photoshop and have no skills whatsoever, but frankly, I like the way the it is.
Maybe you can change the english text a little (and isn't the date the 19th?) I would suggest making it a slightly smaller size so as to not draw that much attention away from Hikki's face.
Personally, I wouldn't have added the Enlgish text at all.

You can add some design in the back but adding too much can smolder the picture and Hikki won't stand out as much.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 10:13
  •  hrabbit
      hrabbit
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L ??/female/USA
Hey that's a good idea :D I should try to make a poster :3 I think it looks really nice! Better than what I can do at the moment XP I love the colors <3
Posted on: 2008/3/20 14:14
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 17/F/Singapore
o man...
it makes mi wanna hv the poster sia
Posted on: 2008/3/20 22:21
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Quote:

TiffyKitty wrote:
Well I'm not an expert at photoshop, either...but as for the text part, I might have a suggestion. Ok, I did notice that when you "stroked" the text (like, put a border around it), you used colors that all sorta match with each other. Which is a good idea, but certain parts just look...awkward? Like maybe you should try using the SAME color border for all of the text. Or use a darker color, because light colored borders don't show up that well. Also, is that font called Arial Black? (or something similar to that) It looks kind of plain, but it's not that bad. You can always customize it a little bit, like change the width of spacing between letters. Or just use an entirely new font that might match the theme of the poster.

***If you're going to keep the font and colors exactly the same...***:

Then what I would do is, firstly, stroke the text with a 3px border (I think that's what you used, anyway) - then highlight the text, go to layers > layer style > bevel and emboss. Then set the settings like this:

Style: Inner Bevel
Technique: Smooth
Depth: 100%
Direction: Up
Size: 6
Soften: 0
Angle: 83 Degrees
[check the box that says Use Global Light]
Altitude: 51 Degrees
[ignore the "gloss contour" feature, just leave it as default, which is the first option]
Leave 'anti-aliased' unchecked.
Highlight Mode: Screen (leave the color set as white)
Shadow mode: Soft light (leave the color set as black)
Then click OK.

It should look something like this. At least for the UTADA HIKARU part...

And you can just customize all the other text of the poster like that too.

Or just use your own imagination or whatever, like these examples I did.

And you can always rotate the text or change the opacity if you want...

Well you know, whatever floats your boat. [= And for Utada herself, maybe you could add a slight outer glow? Or trace (using a brush tool at size 1-3 px in black, or a matching coral/turquoise) her outline - and it doesn't need to be anywhere near perfect. In fact, it's supposed to be a bit messy. And you can download some tape brushes and put them at the corners of the poster to give it a more realistic look, maybe? Hard to picture all of this, so I've got a sample.

Ok well that's all I can think of right now. Obviously you don't have to follow any of what I say, it's just the stuff I normally think of. :]

WoW... 0.0 it looks fantastic lolz

i want this poster too!!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/20 22:53
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic