1234...9>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Hidden Manga Gems
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
All right, this topic here is to recommend mangas OTHER THAN those that are extremely famous like Bleach, Naruto, etc. This is really here for underground readings that people may or may not know alot about. Put your recommendation here and explain why it is good, what are the cons and pros about the book (Cons being negatives and pros being positives), what genre the book is, and what makes it so special that it should be considered an underground jem. Please share your thoughts about the manga when you reply. Seriously, I don't want this to turn into some chat crap thread like most topics do. Please stay ON TOPIC and not make any SPAM messages. I'm looking at you boboi.

My first recommendation is a manga that I truly have been hooked to for the past 4 days. Its truly a underground jem that I enjoy completely. It is called Bitter Virgin and it is a romance, mature, and drama manga.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bitter_Virgin/

Why this is so great? Well, not only does it have a heart aching story that has made people cry, but its execution and art style help improve the atmosphere this manga brings. It truly is a great read and I highly recommend it to those looking for a story that will have you enjoying nearly all the main characters provided (there really is only one person I truly don't like in the book and the author makes you not like her even though she does make you feel sorry for her). Here are my pros and cons for Bitter Virgin:

Pros: A brilliant, realistic, and heart aching story that makes you truly feel for the main character; Characters you will become attached too; Great character development and pace; Heavy Mature themed story that really hasn't been done in manga, ever; Art style is nice and fits the manga perfectly; Atmosphere brought by the story of the manga is tremendous; Catches your attention quick and sucks you in, never letting you go; Choice of words help increase the manga's atmosphere tremendously (Well atleast I think so); Teaches a deep, meaningful lesson of life.

Cons: Heavy Mature themed story might be too much for some people or may turn people off by its heavy drama, realism; Elements found in other romance, drama mangas are sure to be present; Beginning portion of the manga is not too interesting; The manga is said to be coming close to its tragic end
Posted on: 2008/3/19 20:27
  •  S0ySauce
      S0ySauce
Re: A Great Manga Read
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L I'm not a dude
It's quite interesting, I just finished reading all the chapters. Thanks for recommendations.

I think this manga is pretty well known but it's not on onemanga.

It's Yotsuba&! www.koiwai.biz

I'm not as good as Anilum with words but the reason I love this manga so much is for it's simplicity and humor. There's too many action or romance mangas out there, so Yotsuba is extremely refreshing. This manga reminds you of the simple joys in life and has managed to cheer me up even when I was down, and I recommend this to anyone anywhere.

Pros: The story is easy and simple to follow. The art in my opinion, is beautiful. (Simple and clean character designs, detailed background) The facial expressions on the characters (especially Yotsuba)are hilarious. The characters' personalities are realistic and believable.

Cons: The time frame moves slowly, so if you're a person who just loves to see two guys fighting and can't seem to enjoy idle time, then you probably won't like this manga.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 10:09
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
Haha, im guessing this is from the creator of Azumanga Daioh correct? It certainly is quite a gem. Nice and simplistic. A great break from all the action and drama mangas out there. Thanks for the contribution.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 13:54
  •  FunkyStrawberries
      FunkyStrawberries
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25/ F/NY
Wow, that was really intense, I loved it, thanks for sharing! :]
I can't wait until I can read whats next.

I read the first volume of Yotsuba a while back, it was cute. :)

I don't really read as much manga as I used to, so I really don't know much obscure stuff... But my favorite mangas have always been Ayashi no Ceres and Kare First Love... xD
I guess a bit more unknown than Bleach or Naruto(Both of which I dislike very much, too.)
Posted on: 2008/3/20 16:38
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
I know those 2, but I don't think they are underground. Most people seem to know Kare First Love, but i'm not too sure about Ayashi no Ceres. I believe Bitter Virgin is better than Kare First Love, but thats just my opinion.

Heres another one people don't seem to know about. There is a manga version of this series, but the anime came first so its best to go with the anime (Unless you want to play the AO-rated game in Japan which started it all). School Days is yet another romance manga, but this time it focuses heavily on angst. It really does get you pissed about how the main character treats the other main characters, but for some off reason, I enjoyed this anime for its drama. I seriously do hate the main character though. School Days is basically about a love triangle that happens between 3 students in high school. 2 girls go after one guy basically. I'm not too sure if others would enjoy this anime mainly because of its angst drama. I myself don't truly know why I enjoyed it, but maybe you should give it a try. I guess I could call this an underground jem, but I bet others might think it is. Just give it a try and maybe you will like it.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7E061D9A515DC7E2

Heres pros and cons.

Pros: One of the most twisted angst, drama story that has yet to be treaded on; Mature-themed storyline of teenage love/betrayal; Character development is well paced; Art direction is simple yet fits the anime well; Animation is smooth; Music is quite good (Especially Kanashimi No Mukou He); Teaches a lesson about life; GREAT ENDING (IMO).

Cons: One of the most twisted angst, drama story that has yet to be treaded on; Due to the extreme amount of angst found in the anime, the anime won't win everyone; You won't appreciate the anime enough until you watch it all; Only 12 episodes.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 17:14
  •  hrabbit
      hrabbit
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L ??/female/USA
ooo cool I will certainly look into that manga

I am in a manga book club but we read mostly mian stream stuff a manga I really loved was fooly cooly... it is certainly interesting!
Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:01
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
That isn't quite a hidden gem but it sure was entertaining!
Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:27
  •  FunkyStrawberries
      FunkyStrawberries
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25/ F/NY
I can agree that they're not too underground, but atleast more underground than some of my other reads, like Yu Yu Hakusho xD
Overall, Bitter Virgin is definetely better. But I guess Kare First Love is just cute and I feel I can relate to it a lot, so thats why I like it so much.

Unlikable main characters can often ruin a series for me, which is why I could never finish Catcher in the Rye.. but I'll definetely check out the anime soon. :]
Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:31
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
Trust me, hate the main character in School Days a lot, you will LOVE the ending.
Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:33
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
Double post, but it is for a manga recommendation.

Heres another gem you guys can enjoy. Its called Midori Days or Midori No Hibi. The story is yet another romance manga, but there really is no drama in this one. Its a romance/comedy one. I sure people have come across one of those every so often. What makes this one so much more special than those other ones? Well its the story. Its....different, but a good different and adds to the humor. It's so different that I don't want to spoil what happens and what makes this story so unique. Try Midori Days, I'm sure you will get a great laugh from it.

http://www.onemanga.com/Midori_no_Hibi/

Pros: Unique storyline that I havent been seen done, ever; Romance manga that really touches you at the end; Humor is really great; Cute characters and designs; Imaginative; Good character development; Art style fits the manga wonderfully.

Cons: Predictable; Art style fits the manga, but it is also very simple; Re-uses the same elements found in romance mangas; Has some nudity if you mind it (Only boobs).
Posted on: 2008/3/21 0:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...9>