Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Books
guest_Unregistered
Hello everyone!! SO i started reading a book, or rather the series Sword Of Truth. The first one is call the wizard's First Rule, By Terry Goodkind. Who must say is the oppisit of a hero haha. His writing is good, but the picture on the back makes me loose respect for him. Anyways, there ok length 900 per book. Here lies the problem, there are 15 i think, so from time to time i need something else to read. Give suggestions you think would be good. No japanese or forgien books please i would go mad tring and failing to read them haha. and also what books do you find to be the best romance fantisy ext...?
Posted on: 2008/6/18 22:03
  •  ayehunny
      ayehunny
Re: Books
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 / Female / Sweden
Tales of the Otori, by Lian Hearn. Really good books! Though, I've just started, so I've only read the 2 first books (5 in total atm, dunno if it's coming more).
It's fantasy/romance taking place in the medieval Japan! Really really fascinating!
You can read more about them here: http://www.lianhearn.com/

What more that is fantasy.. Well, I highly recommend Harry Potter.. I'm sure you've heard of them To anyone who hasn't read them yet. ^_^
Posted on: 2008/6/19 3:23
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
It's been a while since the dragonlance books were all the rage but if fantasy is your thing the trilogy The Dragonlance Chronicles is an excellent read, it would not be out of place alongside the works of Tolkien. The Conan books are also a nice gritty read.

Recently I've become more appreciative of historical fiction, I would recommend the books by Steven Pressfield set in ancient Greece and Macedonia. I am presently working my way through Shogun by James Clavell, set in feudal Japan it's a good read as well.

I also enjoy a bit of intrigue and would recommend John Grisham or Jeffery Deaver, I've enjoyed any of their books that I've read. I haven't read many of what would be termed the classics but if Moby Dick was to qualify then it too is a fine read.

Well, there might be something among that lot you would like.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 10:45
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
Anything by Johnathan Safran Foer is fantastic. He's kind of postmodern, so he does some interesting stuff with format that really enhances the writing. He's pretty much my favourite author.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 11:54
  •  Jorge
      Jorge
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 16/ male / London
Well this really depends on what genres you prefer reading. If you like historical fiction i would strongly recommend "River God" by Wilber Smith. It's my favourite book. Followed closely by "Wolf of the Plains" by Conn Iggulden. I also like "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, and "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

If you enjoy science fiction, i recommend the "Coldfire Trilogy" by Celia Friedman and any Star Wars books. If you enjoy fantasy i would recommend "The Old Kingdom Series" by Garth Nix, and maybe the Harry Potter books. Also, the "Inheritance series" by Christopher Paolini would be a great read!

Hope i've been able to help and i'll let you know of any other greath books i read.
Posted on: 2008/7/2 17:56
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
im more into classics... my favorite would be the sherlock holmes series. i have all the short stories and the novels. and anything from sir arthur conan doyle.

and also i love novels from jules verne, like twenty thousand leagues under the sea and journey to the center of the earth.

my contemporary author would be Dan Brown. the da vinci code is a good read. i been trying to get a copy of angels and demons but haven't got enough money to buy it.
Posted on: 2008/7/5 20:21
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15/ F/ Singapore
I don't read a lot now, but I still enjoy reading

Some books that I've read:

1984 (George Orwell) - My Literature Teacher recommended us to read it, incidentally, it's a book Hikki likes.

One Litre of Tears - The Chinese Translation. It's really good, better than the drama.

Koizora - Read this, but don't watch the movie, which will bore you to tears. (It's in Chinese)

I really wanna read "The Great Blue Beyond" (or "Yonder" I forgot the title) by Alex Shearer. Apparently it's quite good, anyone read it?
Posted on: 2008/7/6 4:02
  •  azhar0153
      azhar0153
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 17/ M/ INA
Japanese for Today. (Indonesia)
I think it's worthy.
Posted on: 2009/12/20 22:34
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Here's a list of my favorite books and a short description of them

- Chronicles of Narnia
- Harry Potter Series
- Go Ask Alice (It's a journal written by a girl growing up in the 60s/70s. The author is Anonymous, but it IS an actual journal. The girl goes through substance & alcohol abuse among other things.)

- Speak, Laurie Ann Halse (I -think-. About a loser-ish highschool freshman girl and how she handles the after-effects of getting raped by one of the most popular boys in school)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass (? ) yeah

- The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns, both by Khaled Hosseini. Both are set in Afghanistan. The Kite Runner made me cry throughout the book (I'm sure the movie will be just as bad), and A Thousand Splendid Suns has a happy ending.

- Coyotes, Ted Conniver - A fluent Spanish-speaking "journalist" makes his way through Mexico with immigrants to cross the border illegally into the U.S. and learns what it's like to be them by living the same lifestyle, traveling with the different seasons to find work picking fruits, and veggies, hiring a coyote to get them across, etc.

- Enrique's Journey, Sonia Nazario - True story about a boy traveling to the U.S. via freight trains from Honduras to find his mother in North Carolina.

- Confessions of a Shopaholic series, Sophia Kinsella

That's it for now. lolz I'm a bookworm.
Posted on: 2009/12/22 15:10
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Totto-Chan's Children: A Goodwill Journey to the Children of the World by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. Great Book.

Last novel Otori Clan haven't read it, when i look at book store yaiks the book so thick not like the previous books i wanna buy it but its expensive
Posted on: 2010/2/4 20:28
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>