12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  thisone
      thisone
lyric analysis?
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
I don't know if this is allowed but is there anyplace to find analysis of her lyrics. I know I'm sad. haha. But yeah
For this one crying like a child I know what it's talking about but at the same time I don't know as well. it's confusing and i just wanted to see different points to what people think she is expressing in her lyrics in general not just from the new album although that is my focus right now. I mean some songs are obvious in what they are talking about and this one is also kinda obvious but what is she talking about when she calls this is the one and this one is for your happiness like a cheers to sorta thing?
I just love deciphering lyrics I guess. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it like I think about all lyrics. Lie when I was reading translations of Dareka maybe I was just too into finding something about the song but maybe it was just about love. I just saw so much symbolism but maybe it's because I don't actually know Japanese and because I look into stuff too much. To me Dareka talked about not everyone's wishes coming true and sometimes when someone gets what they want another person gets hurt and about family or whatever.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 13:08
Re: lyric analysis?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19 / Male/ Spain
Dareka talks about loving someone that much that u wish his own happiness before yours.... So it can mean too that when someone's wish comes true, a child cries... I think it is that all wishes cant be done... coz... when someone wants something another one wants something too... and maybe it could be crossed wishes.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 22:22
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

thisisseyo wrote:
Dareka talks about loving someone that much that u wish his own happiness before yours.... So it can mean too that when someone's wish comes true, a child cries... I think it is that all wishes cant be done... coz... when someone wants something another one wants something too... and maybe it could be crossed wishes.

The song is at heart a paradox.You can just look at the english translation really.It seems like an unorganized slate of poetry but it's fairly easy to interpret.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 23:13
  •  tallerinmoreways
      tallerinmoreways
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 20 / M / Canada
Since the thread is started, can someone explain Kremlin Dusk for me? It is my fav Hikki song, and I have my own understanding of it, but I wanna see what others think?
Posted on: 2009/3/20 15:51
  •  thisone
      thisone
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Of course it can be interpreted in many ways since the lyrics aren't as straight forward or it is but to me it isn't at least.
My first interpretation is that it's about someone leaving her because they just don't know what to do with her anymore. Or she has amnesia.
She's hoping that person will come back or talk to her again because she misses them.
She's hurting over their separation.
Or it can be completely different and about will you like her as an artist and if you do will you know her name and replay her cd again.
Kremlin Dusk analysis end.
Posted on: 2009/3/20 18:30
  •  Nao
      Nao
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 27, Female, UK
I think the lyrics for This One are beautiful and that the meaning seems pretty obvious to me from the lyrics...

It seems to be a love song from the POV of a fan who's had some kind of relationship with a pop star, and now that it's over she doesn't know how to let go.

It's just another friday night
For you and your accessories (lights)
And there you are before my eyes
Two hours and for fifteen minutes you are here
I don't wanna scream lest I should tear
A whisper in the darkness disappears
Sincerely

Don't you think that this is sung from a live concert, and that Hikki is in the crowd watching her former lover on stage?

You got me crying like a child
And the crowd is going wild
This one, this is the one
Come on now give it up...

It seems to me like her former lover is singing a song written for Hikki during their relationship, and that the crowd love it, he's singing it like it no longer has any meaning it's just one of his hits, but as Hikki sits in the audience her heart is breaking.

What does everyone think?
Posted on: 2009/3/22 14:29
  •  thisone
      thisone
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
hey that's actually a very good analysis!
however I still don't get what she means by this one this is the one(okay I kinda get that) but the come on now give it up part yeah I'm unsure of
But the part that I think has the most meaning is
this one's to the happiness I'll be wishing you forever

that line to me is a bittersweet goodbye because as much as she knows she has to say goodbye and move on with her life it will be very hard because she loved him a lot even if he didn't she connected with him and was attached to him.
like it's a cheers to your wedding even though she wishes he was marrying her kinda thing.
i hate it when i can actually connect with her lyrics. it's like she speaks to you almost.
Posted on: 2009/3/22 14:50
  •  geneticboi
      geneticboi
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/USA
Quote:

tallerinmoreways wrote:
Since the thread is started, can someone explain Kremlin Dusk for me? It is my fav Hikki song, and I have my own understanding of it, but I wanna see what others think?

Kremlin Dusk is written inspired from a poem called The Raven by the poet Edgar Allen Poe... who is Utada's favorite poet. They both share the same birthday as well!

His poems are very dark and sad... in The Raven, the author waits for his lover Lenore to come home, but his lover never did. Instead, a black Raven comes by his window and tells him nevermore...

in Kremlin Dusk lyric, it goes:

All along I was searching for my Lenore
In the words of Mr. Edgar Allen Poe
Now I?m sober and ?Nevermore?
Will the Raven come to bother me at home?

The song is just about love, existence, lonesome-ness, and heartbreak/heartache...

Born in a war of opposite attraction
It isn?t, or is it a natural conception?
Torn by the arms in opposite directions
It isn?t, or is it a Modernist reaction?

that part is my favorite in the song when the climax changes, she is just talking about how we all "should" go with what society tells us? why can't we be and do whatever we like... opposite attraction? does man always have to be with woman? does this have to always go with that? is that supposed to be "natural"? then what's NOT natural? so... she is being torned by all thes ideas, torned by the arms of oppisite directions.

I am a natural entertainer, aren?t we all
Holding pieces of dying ember?
I?m just trying to remember who I can call
Who can I call

that's alo referring to artists and entertainers, in the Art world, we consider sadness and melancholy to be a good thing, whereas regular normal people would think being sad is bad. Because back in the days great artists like Leonardo Da Vinci is always melancholic and in deep thoughts, which helped him create great work. So in that verse she is just saying this is what she does, she is just holding on to all of her sadness... that is why entertaining and singing comes so naturally to her because she can relates to pain and lonesomeness. When you feel destructive inside, you get creative outside. Destruction leads to creation.

Lastly, I love how she keeps questioning: is it like this? is it always the same? when a heartache begins... is it like this? and cleverly ends the song with, if you like this, will you remember my name? will you play it again, if you like this?

hehhe of course I played the song AGAIN AND AGAIN... it is one of my favorite Hikki songs ever. I listened to it back when it first came out 5 years ago, when I still in my dark phases trying to findout who I am as a person and as an artist.

So I made an art piece inspired by this song and named it Natural Conception as a reference to the song, respectively!

it's cool to think now that I made an art piece inspired from Utada, and she made a song inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. so it's like from artist to artist...

Also, I made a silk-screen, mixed media piece for HEART STATION as well, you can check it here at my website:

>>> http://geneticboi.blogspot.com/2008/06/heart-station.html

Posted on: 2009/3/22 15:52
  •  tallerinmoreways
      tallerinmoreways
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 20 / M / Canada
Thanks so much for the replies everyone
especially geneticboi, I'm so glad to have an indepth analysis of it. And your art is BEAUTIFUL, I would love to have it hanging in my room it's so awesome

I had read the poem a couple years before the song, and recently re-read it to try get a better feel for the song, and I reached some (not all) of the same points you did. I'm glad to hear someone else finding the climax section so important, and the natural conception bit especially (seeing I don't think I fall into the natural society idea lol)

Thanks again, that was a great read and beautiful art
Posted on: 2009/3/23 21:28
  •  geneticboi
      geneticboi
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 21/M/USA
Quote:

tallerinmoreways wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies everyone
especially geneticboi, I'm so glad to have an indepth analysis of it. And your art is BEAUTIFUL, I would love to have it hanging in my room it's so awesome

I had read the poem a couple years before the song, and recently re-read it to try get a better feel for the song, and I reached some (not all) of the same points you did. I'm glad to hear someone else finding the climax section so important, and the natural conception bit especially (seeing I don't think I fall into the natural society idea lol)

Thanks again, that was a great read and beautiful art

haha, no problem. it's my pleasure!
I think we should celebrate people with talent like Hikki ya know?
and thanks to her, i get lots of inspirations for my own work too!

but yeah if you are up for any other analyzations, count me in, I am such a lyric and content freak. because I love anything with substance. I mean everybody likes beautiful things, but if those beautiful things doesn't have substance then I don't want it. :)
Posted on: 2009/3/26 19:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>