•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  angiechan
      angiechan
Observation of Utada and BoA so far...
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
This is what I wrote recently in my personal blog:

First of all, this entry is not intended as "Utada vs BoA" arguing who is better. Just a mere observation from someone who is a fan of both.

Utada and BoA happens to come to the US around the same time. Both releases their albums in March 2009. So inevitably, you get materials from both artists simultaneously from one another (eg. interviews, photos, songs, live performances) and you can't help but to notice differences between the two.

I like both artists for very different reasons. For those who doesn't know these two people are, Utada is the one who sung "First Love", she is extremely popular in Japan. BoA is a Korean artist who also made it big in Japan. I respect both singers. Utada seems to be one who naturally became a phenomanon for being who she is - and BoA seems to be the one who has put immense amount of hard work to become where she is today. Not saying that Utada did not make an effort - of course she did. But she is a lot more natural (and makes her naturally effortless to some extent).

Both of them have capabilities of language. Having born in New York, Utada is a native English speaker. BoA has proved herself by becoming big in Japan with Japanese not her native language. Although the difference is BoA was only around 11 when she learnt Japanese, and she is now 22 to conquer English. A very challenging task.

Music wise, both are incomparable because they are very different artists. BoA is a performer, not a musician. Utada is exactly opposite. BoA dances, Utada doesn't. BoA does not write her music or lyrics. Utada is adamant in keeping the music and lyrics to be written by her.

Utada comes from a musical family, has the musical connections, yet keeping her individuality very strongly. This has worked very well for Utada in Japan. I think this is one of the case, either it works or it doesn't. To Japanese, Utada is not very Japanese, she is viewed as being this almost unreal figure, someone who is bringing these songs and then disappear from the scene. She is not the type that goes to the tabloid. Her cover albums are not that interesting and definitely not the cutesey popsey type. She does not dye her hair blonde just to look like everybody else. Her dressing is sometimes stylish, sometimes bland (even on air). Her 'on' and 'off' life in NY and Japan is distinctive and intriguing for Japanese. The way she brings herself, is also very different to other typical Japanese artiste. That is why she is a phenomenon. She is different. And of course, her music is definitely good. Japanese people are fascinated by her, look up to whatever she does, even her quirkiness, and embrace whatever music she produces.

BoA comes from a 'nurtured' music label factory, selected to be a star, trained for singing, dancing, language, etc. Her image has been designed by her label company since young. Very protected, less individuality. Of course, not saying BoA is a marionette - but she is very adaptable, and it works for both her and the label. In both Japan and Korea, her songs and dances are very well-liked and her image works for her very well. Very well designed by SM town I must say. Despite all that though, she has a very good, real personality too. She gain respect from other artists for her dedication, hard work, positive attitude. She has this playful, childish, honest personality in her that makes people around her likes her. Of course, she is very Asian (for having to live in Asia all her life). Works for Asia, but for the US? Not. But really depends on her adaptability to the Western culture. Really, the barrier is not just language, but the culture as a whole.

Although, being exposed (and interested) in the hip-hop culture definitely helps for BoA. Makes her easier to get along with the people from the hip hop scene through her slick dance moves and interest in the hip hop music. If you notice, her english is sounding more FloRida black (Yo yo, rap, wasssssup) whilst Utada is just a normal New Yorker english.

Even the objective of coming to the US is different. For BoA, she must succeed. Her music label is giving it all for her. She must succeed for whatever it takes. Very carefully planned. That is why her album has mostly fast-paced, dance songs. Her edge to succeed in the US is through her dances, high-energy club-music sounding songs. Her songs are not deep at all - and not meant to be - as she didn't write it herself and not intended to be her edge.

For Utada, her edge is, well, the music that she produced. She is a real artist who wishes that people can like her style of art. (Music is an art) She is keeping things very real. Of course, her music label is doing the push for marketing, spreading the words around and getting recognition too. Putting all the strategies right in place (More involvement than the last time she tried with Exodus). Scoring interviews. Not surprisingly, Utada has scored a lot more interviews than BoA. This is because Utada has no language nor cultural barrier to connect with the American people. She is presenting herself as who she is, having interviews more like chat with friends on a lounge or a restaurant. As a result, more radio broadcasts / independent media probably can have greater access to Utada than BoA.

Knowing this weakness, BoA's music label has a different strategy - via well-placed, well-known major broadcast media such as MTV iggy and securing advance places for performing in Times Square through mainstream media etc. Showing case of music, imagery and dances than the language itself. Getting closer connections with the black music scene (More similar of her style, easier to be accepted). I don't know how this goes. I wish before the plan to crossover, BoA should have been made to live in the USA (And away from the Koreans and Asians) and made her to live with whites and blacks for at least 6 months, so she can truly adapt to the culture as well as the language. That would make her connect with the US a lot better. I cringe sometimes at her interview - too rehearsed. (But you can't blame her can you) Though that's a downside - You can't learn much at all from her. Lack of connection to the American audience too - not only because of the language, but also the culture. Even without the language barrier, I am not sure what does her music label tells her of what she can say and can't say. - to protect her image. Her upbringing as an entertainer / performer for almost all her life, and always being surrounded by them as well, probably makes her very lacking in exposure to anything else. Makes it harder for her to connect to normal everyday "non-entertainers, non-dancers, non-performers" people in the US.

Whilst Utada is very different, she gets to live normal life, gets her formal educations in normal schools, goes to university. She is pretty much just like you and me. From that point of view, Utada definitely has a lot more personality. That I can relate. As a third culture kid she is, I can see through her a lot more direct than BoA. I can relate to her interests, her laidbackness, her randomness, her aspirations in life, her likes and dislikes just as an average person. She is the type that, I want it I want it, if works, thats cool, if not, then oh well, I will try again next time. For BoA, its just two phrases, I must succeed and I will do my best.

Both has winning edge. Depending on BoA's adaptability to the Western culture, and Utada's music acceptance for general US population, they both can be successful and be the pioneers of Asian singers in the Western world. Time will tell.

I have listened to both albums. I like BoA's music for the catchiness - albeit lack of depth - is cool to listen to. BoA's dances are absolutely amazing. I hope she becomes famous in the US through this. As for Utada, I like Utada's music for her depth of songs. Not that I am saying her messages are super deep, definitely not for world peace, not for war, not political, not much with moral messages either. In fact, they are not like that at all. But in each of her song, it feels like she is trying to paint something. I enjoy looking into her songs, trying to figure out what she is trying to say, and how she plays with the words to bring the type of quirkiness / fun / emotions that she wants us to feel. She is a modern artist from Third Culture Kids indeed, by incorporating the words 'photoshop, Freddie Mercury, mp3, jpeg, Winona Ryder, philantrophic, diabolic, Istanbul, even Captain Picard' into the lyrics. You play Utada's songs for 50-years old man - he won't have a clue what she is singing about.

Thanks to the internet, there is a segment in the Non-Asian world (US, Europe, Canada, Australia even Middle East) who already knows who Utada and BoA are... the non-asians who love anime, jpop, etc... These definitely helps for the starting point. People are getting more open minded. Global audience here we are talking about here! Making everything more transparent and seamless. The power of internet, I am sure can do both artists good.

So - Best of luck for both!! Both are definitely pleasure to watch and listen. Show the US what Asians can do!

(I didn't realise how long it is! I love both artists and these are my personal opinions only...)
Posted on: 2009/4/13 5:00
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Re: Observation of Utada and BoA so far...
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
You should write a book, lol.

Seriously though, I like what all you have to say, but there's really just one difference between Utada and Boa that will really matter with their respectives successes: Boa is an independent artist, Utada a major label artist.

Boa has so far made many more appearances and performances than Utada because, well, she has to. IDJ has gotten radio to actually play her song. That's exposure to millions (15 million so far, to be exact) of listeners that Utada herself has barely had to do anything for just because of the power of her record label.

Musically, Boa's album and TITO are about equally mainstream, just one is dance-pop and the other is r&b-pop. Boa's more Britney Spears and Utada's more Mariah Carey, to use a loose analogy. I actually don't think Boa's English will be too much of an issue for her (I mean, did you hear Shakira when she released her first English album? )
Posted on: 2009/4/13 11:40
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
both artist are asian and tryin to make it in the west so gud luck to both of them ^^

but perosnally i think hikki is better the Boa
Posted on: 2009/4/13 22:55
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
both artist are asian and tryin to make it in the west so gud luck to both of them ^^

but perosnally i think hikki is better the Boa

Hehehe....I kinda agree
Posted on: 2009/4/14 4:18
  •  cutelilme
      cutelilme
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/F/NYC =)
i don't think one is necessarily better than the other, its just that one's music style appeals to us more than the other. i like them both but i just prefer hikki cuz of her style. i wish them the best of luck and hope they are both able to make it big
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:58
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
First of all i want to say it was great perspective from you, It is a very balanced opinion between Utada and BoA.
A little information

A quote from Takka-san
Quote:

I'm a bit surprised by the fact that people here are so young!
In Japan, Utada has fans from all age groups.
There are a lot of fans in their 30's or 40's (or even 50's).
I don't see many people here who are "middle aged" like I am...

It make me more respect to BoA, well since i don't know a lot about her. Thanks for sharing your mind here
Posted on: 2009/4/15 2:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic