Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  teiku5
      teiku5
Avatar: The Last Airbender Casting Controversy
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L USA
Seems Utada isn't the only one facing race issues in the entertainment industry. The upcomng film, Avatar: Last Airbender is set for 2010 but has already been recieving huge controversy for its cast being white. All this seems to respark the contreversy of Hollywood being racist towards the asian community. Many fans of the series are outraged, the media is taking notice as well.

An article: AWN Avatar: Last Airbender Casting Controversy Continues

Here is a link of a site focused on the issue with the film: Racebending

My opinion, as a fan of the series, I am very dissapointed with the way the film is turning out. I had high hopes but when I heard M. Night Shyamalan was directing, I knew it was going to turn out bad.

What do you think?
Posted on: 2009/6/4 20:08
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Casting Controversy
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
im not a fan of avatar coz i think the animation is a copycat but very well, about the movie's controversy on asians... i think that western movies should follow storylines and character matrix.. like they did on dragonball.. the movie looks stupid....a total disgrace... and now avatar?.. gah.. im sure that they dont bet on asian artists cause they know that white artists will be shred to pieces (in acting/martial arts talent) *not all western/white artists*
Posted on: 2009/6/4 21:19
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
I completely love the show i don't understand at all why others don't. I mean it's a great show with good humor, action that is based on actual martial arts movements, and it's got a great story too. You can actually see the action too. In a lot of animes, it's just screaming and talking for periods of time and then clash of swords (sometimes you just see the swords clash, or hardly be able to see the fight at all). I think Avatar is a great show for a wide audience.

Anyway, i thought it'd be interesting with M. Night, but then when i saw the casting, i was completely pissed. Isn't the dude from Slumdog millionaire set to play zuko? That's completely wrong! It just doesn't feel right to have a brown man (no offense my fellow indians, i too am brown and my best bud is Indian) play a character that should best be played by someone who actually knows martial arts and who looks a more like zuko! Come on yo!

Oh and you can't have white Eskimos! That's silly!

Not being racist here i just feel that it's the best for the movie. I really don't want to see another dragonball evolution happen is all.

End of rant
Posted on: 2009/6/4 23:00
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i just hope they don't screw up this movie like they did to Dragonball Z...........
Posted on: 2009/6/5 0:10
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
i just hope they don't screw up this movie like they did to Dragonball Z...........

... i-i kind of have a feeling it WILL be a second lie action DBZ... T____T;;;;;
Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:00
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Not just Avatar will dull, soon they will make King of Fighter the movie and Iori Yagami cast will be a white male, they should cast an appropriate actor that suit with the char also the story, The Legend of Chun Li also that actress not from Asia . For me Hollywood right now lack of imagination. If you see European and Asia movies or indie movies, they were a lot better than Hollywood movies right now on everything. Just my opinion
Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:33
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

Yeah, dont get me wrong, i love Avatar, but if they mess it up like Dragonball Ev. im gonna be so pissed....
lol
Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:47
  •  sakurablooms13
      sakurablooms13
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/female
It does suck that in Hollywood, Caucasian's get more roles, and get more money,while minorities are just thrown aside... About the DBZ live action,NO ONE should have a problem with it other than the story line suck cause you could not fit in everything in just a small movie...If it was for the reason that Goku was played by a caucasian then that is also being racist cause We know or should know that Goku is an ALIEN,not Asian. As for The Avatar,I don't think many people were gonna watch it anyways, I mean M N. Shamylan isn't that known for his movies,most think he sucks at writing,but I'm not sure.But truthfully we all can agree on one thing if they choose an asian cast it really won't be a hit at the box office,I mean even now the only people to be very well known asian actors are Lucy Lui, Chackie Chan, and Jet Lee...Even so I think this film can at least get minorities a good chance if it does get an asian cast. That's just my 2 cents...
Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:57
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Quote:

TadakoXIII wrote:
Quote:

... i-i kind of have a feeling it WILL be a second lie action DBZ... T____T;;;;;

i think the same also =/
Posted on: 2009/6/8 22:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic