my 2D Basic Drawing Lessons

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
my 2D Basic Drawing Lessons
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
hello there! ive planned to have an online tutorial here on UN (maybe in YL/Yui-Lover too)to share my 2d animation corriculum for my school. im currently working as an artist ona studio and an instructor in an IT school here in the philippines. now, im taking up Java class and 3D animaton at the same time (on the same IT school where im teaching)...

in this corriculum, this lessons will be tackled:

*head proportions
*how to draw front side back top and bottom view of a human head
*body proportions using headcounts
*proportions of adults and kids
*shadows and highlights
*colors
*perspectives

there... i decided to teach here because ive noticed that the manga artist thread had so many posts and replies.. and some of them may improve/improve more if they learn this lessons.

if any of u wants to learn this lessons pls reply so that ill know if ill resume this online lessons.

and if ever u wnat to learn something about 2d (things that are not listed above) u can also post it here so i can include them to this tutorial
Posted on: 2009/7/15 8:03
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Re: my 2D Basic Drawing Lessons
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Shades&Highlights and Colors would help me much.
Posted on: 2009/7/15 12:27
  •  CrescentLupin9
      CrescentLupin9
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 24/F/CA
=33333333 this looks interesting xD
Posted on: 2009/7/15 13:11
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
I would like for you to continue ^^ it looks very interesting ^^ and I'm really curious as to how you plan to do this
Posted on: 2009/7/15 19:49
Hikki Obsessed
about the highlights and colors. ill also tackle them on my corriculum in school. so ok ill include them in this online tutorial.. maybe on shadings, ill use some 3d images hehe
Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:33
Hikki Obsessed
sorry double post hehe! *im confused
Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:40
Hikki Obsessed
Lesson 1: Head:Front View

okay.. first step:
*draw a circle
*divide the circle into half with a vertical line (equal)
*after that, divide the circle in 3 equal spaces using a horizontal line
*add a space (equal to the 3 spaces) below the circle

***reference above***
------------------------------------

second step:
*for each of the circle's halves, divide them also into two parts.. so all in all, vertically, the circle has 4 equal spaces.

***reference above***
------------------------------------

okay.. the lines are representing the head's proportions. (as seen in the reference)
*the 2nd horizontal line (from the top) represents the HAIRLINE.. it means, in this line, we should draw the bangs of our character..
*the 2 dots in the 3rd horizontal line, are the midle of the eyes( left and right) meaning, in that dot, we should draw an eye. an we should make sure that the dot is in the center of that eye.
*4th horizontal line represents the tip of the nose. it ,eans that we should not exceed in this line when drawing a nose
*lastly the 5th horizontal line represents the chin

***reference above***
-------------------------------------

*as seen on the reference pic, the top of the circle represents the skull...and the 2nd space (from the bottom) is the space where we should draw our character's ears..
also,the 2nd horizontal line (from the bottom) is where the jawline should be located.. its the starting line for us to draw a diagonal line to connect to the chin

***reference above***

*okay so for much gridlines, spaces and stuffs, ive done a half detailed drawing using the guidelines weve made from the first step... notice the details and where are they drawn..

***reference above***

*ive erased the guidelines on my drawing and add some flat colors (just basics) for you to see the output of what u can make if you use these guidelines i taught and making them ur permanent technique in drawing a front view of a human head..

* u can also use this technique in doing not only anime stuffs but also in portraits (yeah trust me ive used the in my portrait artworks too) and, for 3d artists like me, it is very important to know these proportions to maintain good modeling ,texturing and rigging..

-----------------------------------------

i wish u could understand my lesson (im not too good in english so.. pls bare with me) hehe! pls post your own works here regarding to this lesson so i can check and correct some of your works.. if anyone doesnt understand some steps... pls post a reply so i can help you out ok?..

peace!
Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:43
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Wow thanks for posting this.. I will try this when I have a chance later tonight. I do graffiti writing but not characters.. However with a template like this I'm sure I can adapt it into something really cool. I'll be back to this thread 4 sure
Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:31
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
It is interesting , anyway what about from different angle. I'd like to know that.

I have a question, i watch it on discovery channel.. actually real human face not very symmetrical.... so left one not symmetrical with right one. How to manage that ?
Posted on: 2009/7/18 5:12
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

SwallowTail wrote:
It is interesting , anyway what about from different angle. I'd like to know that.

I have a question, i watch it on discovery channel.. actually real human face not very symmetrical.... so left one not symmetrical with right one. How to manage that ?

yesit's correct that both left and right sides are nor 'perfectly equal' meaning, in 2d drawing, u cant perfectly copy the original drawing from the left.. perfectly coppied to the right.. hehe!
Posted on: 2009/7/18 7:09
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>