Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  This is The One is the essence of American Pop.

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
This is The One is the essence of American Pop.
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
I'd just like to start of by saying that as disappointed I was by this album,it still doesn't make sense how it couldn't sell with the proper promotion.It may seem like Utada shot two air balls but this one can actually bounce of the backboard.

Come Back to me however...was probably the worst idea for the first single.Or for a single at all.I felt the flowchart should went like this.

Dirty Desire
Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence-FYI
Apple and Cinnamon(You'd have to like her to even think to listen this song)
Taking My Money back

all those should get videos and release Poppin' as a Radio only.

They can actually do radio edits.They can actually rearrange the entire album if they cared.I'd say drop those dance mixes.Give us two US exclusive tracks or english versions 2 songs of her choosing.WINGS and Kiss&Cry can slide right on this album,or anything off Distance actually.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:35
Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop.
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L eighteen&female&california
utada kept saying "this is mainstream" and she was completely and totally correct. it was the perfect american cd; it even had the one lame song that had to poison it all, like every american pop cd has one of (coughautomaticparttwocough).

i believe, however, that even with promotion, the cd may have gotten one song on the radio, but it wouldn't have been a "hit" and the cd wouldn't have gone platinum, ever. not simply because she's asian (as said as that is) but because she isn't flashy enough (thank god in my book). there's no dancing, there's no walking around in a plastic bubble suit (lady gaga), there's no "i'm a total diva" attitude.

utada is a professional, and sadly, there's not to much of that in pop music today.

for the record, on and on, after listening to it on and on, is extremely radio friendly. while dirty desire has the catch phrase "dirty desire," i find myself singing the lyrics "intoxicated, emancipated, unapologetic" to everyone, even my two year old brother.

it's like "can you keep a secret." it just won't go away.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:46
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

jesuislm wrote:
utada kept saying "this is mainstream" and she was completely and totally correct. it was the perfect american cd; it even had the one lame song that had to poison it all, like every american pop cd has one of (coughautomaticparttwocough).

i believe, however, that even with promotion, the cd may have gotten one song on the radio, but it wouldn't have been a "hit" and the cd wouldn't have gone platinum, ever. not simply because she's asian (as said as that is) but because she isn't flashy enough (thank god in my book). there's no dancing, there's no walking around in a plastic bubble suit (lady gaga), there's no "i'm a total diva" attitude.

utada is a professional, and sadly, there's not to much of that in pop music today.

for the record, on and on, after listening to it on and on, is extremely radio friendly. while dirty desire has the catch phrase "dirty desire," i find myself singing the lyrics "intoxicated, emancipated, unapologetic" to everyone, even my two year old brother.

it's like "can you keep a secret." it just won't go away.

I thought that too but it still sounds too generic.Dirty Desire can distinguish Utada more that On and On.And there are plenty of acts that don't call for dancing in videos.In fact if she was to have done MCML with a styling of possibly,Sakura DROPS then people would total get into the whole asian thing.People seem to lend toward the familiar,if it calls for a stereotype then I'd have to say "Hell,I did this entire album...can do much damage if I run with a stereotype for just one video".But who the hell could direct it.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 1:00
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
TITO had little more 4 weeks promo before Utada succumbed to tonsillitis, who ever had the final shout, CBTM and the PV was for moi the perfect choice for a first release.

Radio broadcasts must consistent within the federal indecency statute, my knowledge of this federal indecency statute and how federal court decisions are interpreted within the statute are limited, but the Commissions adopted rule is that broadcasts, both on television and radio must comply within a indecency definition and cannot be aired between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. if an infringement is deemed.

The Lyrics of Dirty Desire by definition could well infringe this broadcasting statute, subsequently limiting Radio plays, Poppin lyric could be problematical too.

I suspect that more than one song on TITO would infringe UK broadcasting standards, and Jocks would have to limit spins to after a 21:00 ?watershed?..

TITO needs the services of a high-end international PR consultancy group, Irrespective of the possible complexities, TITO would demand and challenge, and needs to be awarded to a particular PR team, that should never lose sight of the fact that Utada needs precise introduction, the heart and essence captured in her songs and persona needs to be communicated accordingly, in order for the relationship between potentially new Hikkiholics to flourish, time must be invested to expect those relationships to bear fruit.

Utada need to appeal to a wider audience, TITO will not achieve this all on its lonesome, gems from Hikki back catalogue need airing, in I suggest anthology style, reworked into English, something Hikki has refused outright to do.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 4:59
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
This Is The One had no promotion over here in the UK, and I feel that this shouldn't have happened.
I know Hikaru said she wanted people over in the West to like her, then why not promote in the entire west, including Europe?
Hikki has fans over here as well, and This Is The One-style songs are usually always requested on the radio and such.
And trust me, people wouldn't care about the lyrical content, because there are a lot worse things said on the radio than "During my 9 to 5 / I'm thinking 6 and 9".
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:02
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
Quote:

JimJam wrote:
This Is The One had no promotion over here in the UK, and I feel that this shouldn't have happened.
I know Hikaru said she wanted people over in the West to like her, then why not promote in the entire west, including Europe?
Hikki has fans over here as well, and This Is The One-style songs are usually always requested on the radio and such.
And trust me, people wouldn't care about the lyrical content, because there are a lot worse things said on the radio than "During my 9 to 5 / I'm thinking 6 and 9".

I dunno, if they can play 'If You Seek Amy' on the radio, they can play 'Dirty Desire' or 'Poppin' without editing anything out. And what's taking so long with the second single? There should've been one weeks ago. I know she got sick and all but a second single would've been cool and maybe gotten her more notice.

Check out this hat for sale!
http://www.zazzle.com/heart_station_hat-148152297661170325
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:13
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
Quote:

~Billy<3'sHikki~ wrote:
Quote:

JimJam wrote:

I dunno, if they can play 'If You Seek Amy' on the radio, they can play 'Dirty Desire' or 'Poppin' without editing anything out. And what's taking so long with the second single? There should've been one weeks ago. I know she got sick and all but a second single would've been cool and maybe gotten her more notice.

I know exactly what you mean, but Utada said she'd more than likely base a second single on the popularity of her songs on iTunes. And since "Apple And Cinnamon" is currently the most popular (on the US iTunes [This Is The One has yet to be released on the UK iTunes]), it seems to be heading that way.
In Japan, Sanctuary is the second single, and only Japan. I find it strange, however, as Sanctuary was a US-only bonus track...

EDIT: And remember, with EXODUS, You Make Me Want To Be A Man was released as a single just over a year AFTER the album was released.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:45
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/USA
Honestly, i think it is mostly the fact that shes asian had to do with the low sales, as well as lack of promotions (AGAIN). One of my friends sister listened to the CD and said, and i quote "I would have NEVER thought that this lady would sing this!"

I still think CBTM was bad to release as a first single, considering the fact that atm whats playing mostly are faster pace "dance" music. It would have been ok to at least have it as a 3rd single or something. I agree that "On and On" would have been a better choice then MCML, but i have a feeling MCML was/is gonna be the second single cause thats what she sang while on the morning news. Thats IF theres gonna be more promotion, she sees to be a little bit blah about promoting TITO atm.

oh and i dont think Dirty Desire wouldnt be played on the radio, considering the fact that many other 'dirty' songs have been played on the radio XD
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:47
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

~Billy<3'sHikki~ wrote:
Quote:

And what's taking so long with the second single? There should've been one weeks ago. I know she got sick and all but a second single would've been cool and maybe gotten her more notice.

I think that promotion for TITO is wrapping up. Sorry yall.. stop hoping for some glory to be bestowed upon our hikki. The label pulled her plug on this one I'm guessing.. She may get a chance to tour but Hikki hasnt even blogged to us since MAY!!!!

In half a month it will have been 1/4 a year before she has said anything to us. Seriously if it took her five years to put this out.. I'm guessing it will be a while for "this is really the one."

Feel h ow you want but grass roots level promotion wont do anything much when her musics legal owner says your getting the back seat for again.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:48
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L eighteen&female&california
I believe sanctuary was a Japan-only bonus track, actually.

Apple and Cinnamon is a good song. I wouldn't be disappointed. There is a chance for that song. I'm just happy so long as she does not choose Automatic Part II.

It's refreshing to hear so much about hikki fans in the UK. you mentioned earlier that the music played there is like the ones on TiTO, so I take it then, that it is also the "essence" of british pop?
Posted on: 2009/7/28 11:49
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>