Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  sephyleader
      sephyleader
What would have happened if-
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
If Exodus was released like lets say this year instead of This Is The One, Or This Is The One released before Exodus, would the timing had been better and more successful?
Posted on: 2009/8/25 15:56
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Re: What would have happened if-
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
Wouldn't feel right.

FIRST of all, the titles. WTF? TITO is titled like "yah i'm gonna do it this time. Fo real this time." Exodus is like ya know first time doin music outside japan. That's like a sequence fail.

SECOND, Exodus was too weird i feel of an album to really penetrate the dense barrier of thick mush that is the U.S. music scene. Which is true. Though many of us feel that it is the most underrated album by her.

THIRD, Exodus opened up new ideas to hikki, letting her continue and making awesome songs for KH, Ultra blue, and Heart Station. If Utada started with TITO, those albums could be completely different, or not exist at all! Starting with TITO could have twisted half of what we love! Freaking time continuums!

So no i do not think exodus would be anymore successful than TITO has become.
Posted on: 2009/8/25 16:06
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
I think she did it in the right order.
Exodus was experimental and she was being herself when she wrote the songs. TITO on the other hand was produced standing on the outside, what other people want to hear. Since the tracks on Exodus was so undercover, she tried mainstream stuff. If people who don't know Hikki heard TITO first, I think it would be hard for them to like Exodus.
She did state that she doesn't want to be big in America. She's just trying out new things and as a fan of Hikki, its always good to hear the new and different things coming out.
Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:30
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
"More successful"? "Exodus" was Utada's most successful album thus far. Sure, it didn't sell a million copies (in the U.S.), but in terms of her development as an artist and the power of her music, none of her albums to date beat "Exodus". That's success for a musician. Forget fame and popularity; it's the music that should be the priority.

OK, I'll stop being facetious now. That is an interesting question to ponder. I don't think it would have made a difference in terms of her identity in America if she were to have released the albums the other way around. As Josh_Shing pointed it out, it probably would have affected her music in Japan quite a bit, however, and probably not for the better, although I suppose one can never really be sure. Anyway, I think that the transition from "Exodus" to "This Is The One" was a natural, albeit lengthy, one. TITO wouldn't have been any better off coming out first, "Exodus" wouldn't have been any more "successful" coming out second. :3

Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/8/25 20:55
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
it would prolly be a bigger failiur then TiTo
Posted on: 2009/8/25 22:42
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
it would prolly be a bigger failiur then TiTo

Are you saying EXODUS and This is the one are failures?? O.o
Posted on: 2009/8/25 22:51
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
well umm not really, is just saying exodus wouldn't get her more know in the U.S then TITO
Posted on: 2009/8/25 22:53
  •  FunkyStrawberries
      FunkyStrawberries
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25/ F/NY
I don't know if it would have done better than TITO, but if released today, I think Exodus would have done been than it did when it was originally released. A lot of American music today is closer to what Exodus is, and I think it would fit in a lot better than it did in 2004.
Posted on: 2009/8/26 7:52
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
Quote:

FunkyStrawberries wrote:
I don't know if it would have done better than TITO, but if released today, I think Exodus would have done been than it did when it was originally released. A lot of American music today is closer to what Exodus is, and I think it would fit in a lot better than it did in 2004.

Or it could have still overloaded the crowd as it did 5 years ago. Exodus will probably STILL be ahead of its time for a couple more years. Who knows. But it is fun to ponder this.
Posted on: 2009/8/26 15:42
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic