•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
Tech Corner
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Talk about high tech, low tech, software, hardware, gadget here

I'm gonna start first since i have a question

My cousin planning to bought a laptop but confuse about which processor better, she want to pick laptop with [b]intel core 2 duo[b] processor but [b]AMD[b] i think better than intel. So do you guys have exp which processor better.... or there are another processor better than those one ?
Posted on: 2009/9/23 5:14
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Re: Tech Corner
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Hi Val,

I have a Sony Viao VGN-Z31WN-B with a Intel? Core? 2 Duo Processor P9600, Supports Enhanced Intel SpeedStep? Technology.

What is handy with this laptop is mobility, this note book weights in at just 1 .5 kgs, and for mobility there is a Hybrid Graphics switch function that can extend the battery life for 13 hours between charges and has a nice 13.3 LED screen....I am no expert so I am just sharing what works for me, and I use a notebook almost 10 hours daily so I need a notebook that is reliable and mobile...sorry if this is not much help
Posted on: 2009/9/24 4:55
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Speaking from personal experience, Intel is a safer choice when it comes to software compatibility and so on.

AMD is cheaper and it's okay for gaming.

I read from somewhere that AMD has problems with running Photoshop (certain functions). Correct me if I'm wrong.

You should ask what's her budget and what will she use the laptop for?
Posted on: 2009/9/24 8:54
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
it really depends on what you cousin wants to do with the laptop.

intel is better than amd(my opinion only) since intel has been around even before we were born so they know their stuff.

look also for RAM and and video specs if you are doing some photo and video editing.

ask a local computer shop for advise. remember, a good advise is the best tool.

if you want a hassle-free setup, buy a mac book.
Posted on: 2009/9/24 11:09
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Yes good spot ramenbox the budget is probably the most important factor
Posted on: 2009/9/24 12:37
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Well i'm not sure about her budget, since she is semester 7 now and she said she need it for her thesis and also for work . I don't think she was a gamer too, maybe Intel were the best choice. Not sure..... maybe just like percypenn said i have to ask local comp shop
Posted on: 2009/9/25 4:41
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
If it's only for basic typing work, an average model with Intel will be good enough. It's a good idea to ask the shop though since nowadays most shops like to sell the laptop and Microsoft Office together as a whole package.

I don't know whether the shops do that in your country but it's easy to find such shops over here.
Posted on: 2009/9/25 18:29
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
here is another tip: if your cousin is going to use it at school(maybe some word editing and presentations etc..) don't think that microsoft office is your only choice. Open Office is a free application that is compatible with MS office. you can download it for free from their website, just google it and you will find out. As you all know using MS office requires you to virtually pay them for using their software. You don't have to be a slave to microsoft in order to use your PC whether for work or school.

there are lots of free software you can get from the internet but be sure you have a good anti-virus so your PC wont be fried.

another tip: Its okay to buy the higher specs laptop today since technology upgrades are so fast that electronic gadgets 2 years old are almost obsolete today when it comes to speed and processing abilities. if you buy a high-spec laptop today, at least you'll still be able to cope up for at least a year or two. Remember Moore's Law - it stipulates that processing powers of microprocessors double every 18 months.

good luck with your buy!
Posted on: 2009/9/26 9:56
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Thanks Percy for the tips
Posted on: 2009/9/27 22:17
  •  kukai.firestarter
      kukai.firestarter
New Portable Gaming
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 23/f/us
Do any of you have the PSP Go or DSi? I'm kind of torn because like the nerd I am, I still get down on my GBA games and the DSi doesn't support. I do dig the wifi, but I have a phone so what's the point of a camera? I think the black one is pretty sexy, though.

Far as the PSP go reaches, I'm not entirely sold. The internal harddrive is nice but I like to have solid copies of my games, not just downloadable content. I haven't actually held one yet so I'm not sure how sturdy it is, either. I'm sort of eyeing the special Dissidia package with the PSP Slim, truthfully.
Posted on: 2009/11/7 14:38
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>