Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Discussion
  I'm not looking to start a religious debate but....

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
I'm not looking to start a religious debate but....
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Christianity is by far the most selfish belief system ever.If you believe that God created the earth for you and you in his own image(meaning a being of logic) then fine.But you should realize that the world has it's workings where we NEVER WOULD NEED TO ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE!Even more so,"God works in mysterious ways" just means he is never gonna reach his hand down and give you want you want because WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CLARIFY EVERYTHING OURSELVES.I can pray to god,or a pray to grasp the will to accomplish what I want.Working towards progress is something ever present throughout the best selling novel of all time with the biggest "cult" following to go with it."God helps those who helps themselves" people.It's true because god's part is that he designed us to in fact help each other.Church doesn't have the intent of hurt anyone but it does.It make people dependent and blind to reality.Telling others that are doomed if they don't put aside their curiosity for how thing actually work is not helping.Deference from enlightenment of the world around you TODAY is creating a delusion for you to control a mass.

I'm gonna step down from my soapbox now because I would just start ranting soon enough.But to be frank,as a christian...I think it's stupid that people can't see that this is someone's morals being pushed upon them through a book that has no traceable evidence of the single composer.I believe there is a god,but he certainly wouldn't damn you for masturbating in your bath or for even killing another person.I believe there was a prophet named Jesus...that was simply spreading Buddhism :/(do your research,you'll be shocked as to how they formed the Jesus Christ myth).

Edit:I'm very open to the idea that I could be wrong about this by the way.There is a way to challenge everything.Nothing is absolute across any spectrum unless it simply doesn't exist.I'm very open to any convincing argument you may have.
Posted on: 2009/10/1 20:08
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
Re: Im not looking to start a religious debate but....
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Its going to eventually turn into a debate.
Posted on: 2009/10/1 23:38
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Tristan
I am studying at the moment but as Arnie says I be back ... you have a lot of ?Hail Mary? coming your way ....if a? bolt of lightning? hasn?t finished the job first......

Posted on: 2009/10/2 1:05
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I practice an updated version of what is commonly called Witchcraft or Wicca, but it's more of a nature-based religion than it is anything else. I am what is called a Solitary Witch because I tend to practice alone or with a partner. I have the Pagan belief in a God and a Goddess and many minor deities that can act on certain parts of the world around us.

My sense of Christianity is that Jesus was a mortal and human. He was very well-read and spread the concept of love and unity in a time where barbaric practices such as gladiators were common. Yet I believe that he was a child of (the Christian ideal of) God as any one of us would be a child of God.

"God helps those who helps themselves" people.
Agreed and agreed. I believe that deity works through the hearts, minds and hands of humans.

My sense of spirituality is that it's really in every little thing around us. It's up to each of us to see deity and find it in ways that are appropriate to us. I don't believe there is one true path; I believe there is one path for each individual and that what happens after we pass away is what we believe happens. Personally I believe in reincarnation.

I've had people say that I have a touch of Buddhism in me, and I can see why others would think that. I simply don't believe in bashing one religion, even Christianity, to elevate other faiths to a higher status in others' minds.

Let me also add that Christianity HAS been used to persecute people like me - not only am I gay, but I'm also a woman. It's been used to persecute pretty much everyone who wasn't heterosexual, Caucasian and male.

Yet I genuinely believe that true Christianity that comes from the heart and honestly follows the teachings of Jesus does NOT promote hatred. It's peoples' fear of what they can't/don't/refuse to understand that makes Christianity problematic and dangerous in the minds of some people.

Some people seem to think the Christian God is like McDonald's and that prayer to Him will make everything all right; that they can "have it [their] way". However, true understanding and enlightenment of any faith doesn't come easy nor cheap. It requires lots of thought about not only a holy book, but the rules of what flavor of faith you follow. Does it speak to you? Does it vibe with you? If not, then try something else. This is how I eventually ended up following a Pagan path: nothing else spoke to me as strongly as worshiping the very earth we live on.
Posted on: 2009/10/2 4:57
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
For the record, I'm an Athiest.

I'm still waiting for that bolt of lightning to cook me inside out. Still waiting.

In all seriousness, this thread touches upon the very sensitive topic of theology. Most of us who are intelligent to some degree believe and think the way we do because we deem that we have reason and just cause to do so. It's very easy to get worked up, offensive and offended when it comes to personal faith, morality and belief.

Which is why some people kill others for the sake of upholding what they see as right.

As much as I'd adore the chance to discuss theology on the Interweb with y'all, I don't know if this forum is the right one to do it in. I'd have to have a thorough understanding of everyone's level of tolerance, intelligence and the attitude of the forum's staff. And this I do not have yet.

Anyway, great topic though. I'd hate to see this locked for whatever reason.
Posted on: 2009/10/2 7:52
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Hazumuchan wrote:
I practice an updated version of what is commonly called Witchcraft or Wicca, but it's more of a nature-based religion than it is anything else. I am what is called a Solitary Witch because I tend to practice alone or with a partner. I have the Pagan belief in a God and a Goddess and many minor deities that can act on certain parts of the world around us.

My sense of Christianity is that Jesus was a mortal and human. He was very well-read and spread the concept of love and unity in a time where barbaric practices such as gladiators were common. Yet I believe that he was a child of (the Christian ideal of) God as any one of us would be a child of God.

"God helps those who helps themselves" people.
Agreed and agreed. I believe that deity works through the hearts, minds and hands of humans.

My sense of spirituality is that it's really in every little thing around us. It's up to each of us to see deity and find it in ways that are appropriate to us. I don't believe there is one true path; I believe there is one path for each individual and that what happens after we pass away is what we believe happens. Personally I believe in reincarnation.

I've had people say that I have a touch of Buddhism in me, and I can see why others would think that. I simply don't believe in bashing one religion, even Christianity, to elevate other faiths to a higher status in others' minds.

Let me also add that Christianity HAS been used to persecute people like me - not only am I gay, but I'm also a woman. It's been used to persecute pretty much everyone who wasn't heterosexual, Caucasian and male.

Yet I genuinely believe that true Christianity that comes from the heart and honestly follows the teachings of Jesus does NOT promote hatred. It's peoples' fear of what they can't/don't/refuse to understand that makes Christianity problematic and dangerous in the minds of some people.

Some people seem to think the Christian God is like McDonald's and that prayer to Him will make everything all right; that they can "have it [their] way". However, true understanding and enlightenment of any faith doesn't come easy nor cheap. It requires lots of thought about not only a holy book, but the rules of what flavor of faith you follow. Does it speak to you? Does it vibe with you? If not, then try something else. This is how I eventually ended up following a Pagan path: nothing else spoke to me as strongly as worshiping the very earth we live on.

Funny you mentioned that.Because my religion is just a huge rip of your's then.

The certain figure of Paganism is the sun.no?God's Light/God's sun?Well Jesus is god's son.The adorned North star which lead the 3 kings to the "son" of god are simply the three stars that point in the direction of the sun(the alignment is proven to be impossible) during the winter solstice as the new cycle/the sun's birth comes to pass on Dec.25 :/ and 3 days before that the sun dies in the east meaning it sets and doesn't rise fully for the following 3 days.It normally cloudy around Christmas here,but time but those are the shortest days of the year(as far as sunlight presence) I do recall.The constellations(Aquarius,Gemini,Virgo and etc) are mentioned a lot throughout the bible,and they are the figures of the pagan calender which also explains the symbol of the cross with I can't dammint remember for the life of me(only within the Kings James ver.,hence false and irrelevant).But 12 months/symbols=12 disciples and the tribes of Israel.All 12 :/ coincidence?Even japan has a December celebration for the "Sun Goddess Amaterasu",who decided to come out of hiding and shine her light no the world again.Even the whole the world is ending in 2012 is due to the King James revision of the text(so I've been told....but I can easily check for myself.It makes sense regardless Because modern astrologist made it so it would.).Due to our orbit,we are positioned where we see the sun in alignment with the Pisces constellation.Which is 2 fish.....which is what Jesus feed a multitude with....and had to fishermen as disciples...and is why the Jesus lives symbol.....(debunked but quite a coincidence huh?I was told this when I was young too.Just an old wives' tale then :/) is a fish :/(It's said to have truly been due to the Initials of the greek spelling og his name.).There is more but I'm tired.Speak to you guys tomorrow.
Posted on: 2009/10/2 20:57
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
The faith for my Christian beliefs comes from my life experiences, my parents married young, Fathers religious beliefs are firmly based in the Roman Catholic Church, Mothers within the practice and ritual of Shinto and the historical teachings of the Buddha, when they met and fell in love both families railed against such a union, both culturally and spiritually, it was their diverse personal beliefs that teach love honour and respect in harmony with Karma and rebirth that overcame the inevitable Family confrontations.

The Lord God neither discriminates or promotes religious hatred in any form, or harbours bigoted intolerance. That evil and hatred, perpetrated in society is the resulting effects of human frailty, the consequences illustrates a connection between what is morally acceptable and the teachings and understanding of the scriptures.

Divine intervention and the significance of parables along with manifestations of supernatural powers are secondary to the spiritual guidance within that message and accepting with a believing heart the suffering, Jesus Christ sacrificed in death.
Posted on: 2009/10/3 2:39
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:
The Lord God neither discriminates or promotes religious hatred in any form, or harbours bigoted intolerance. That evil and hatred, perpetrated in society is the resulting effects of human frailty, the consequences illustrates a connection between what is morally acceptable and the teachings and understanding of the scriptures.

Ah, if only more people felt the former way about religion in general then maybe we'd have more takers on this thread.

Insofar as the latter, I think you really have to be enlightened in the religion that speaks to you. Most people - at least here in the States - just go to church on Sunday and don't look deeper into their scriptures or the tenets of their religion to find if it really speaks to them. They just assume that their religious leaders are always right without questioning why things are the way they are. That bothers me heavily; I always figure more knowledge creates more thinking creates a truer internal self.
Posted on: 2009/10/3 2:59
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Hazumuchan wrote:
Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:

Ah, if only more people felt the former way about religion in general then maybe we'd have more takers on this thread.

Insofar as the latter, I think you really have to be enlightened in the religion that speaks to you. Most people - at least here in the States - just go to church on Sunday and don't look deeper into their scriptures or the tenets of their religion to find if it really speaks to them. They just assume that their religious leaders are always right without questioning why things are the way they are. That bothers me heavily; I always figure more knowledge creates more thinking creates a truer internal self.

They don't even realize they go to church on "sun"day*sigh* but were saying it simple doesn't make since,to follow any religion that doesn't hold any relevance to your life as it happening now.No one true knows what is after.I can't see why that scares people into go to church every Sunday for a man to stand before every Sunday and shout his moral standards at you.Well at least that's what it's like with the Baptist community.My grandmother's generation is stupefied by this ignorance to actually have a choose to question :/ They weren't raised to think for themselves when it came to spiritual awareness;which sucks too.Christianity speaks against common attributes of human nature.I'm wasn't born into sin,I'm not inherently a (censored) up.And how can something wrote a little less than a Millennium ago tell the everyone's standing as a person there after?How could you believe that scorn and damnation is unavoidable unless you give lots of money to the church?How can you think you heavenly father is gonna smash a brick over your head for feeling jealousy?Why would a parent send his child to eternal peril for turning against morality of a populous?Why is it such a sin to think maybe this is not the god that I true think exist?Why is it a sin to think?

Philipa watch that movie I sent you.I'm telling you,you see it soon enough.You're a smart girl.
Posted on: 2009/10/3 6:42
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
This thread won't end up well
Posted on: 2009/10/3 9:53
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12345>