A/S/L
from The Sun (UK Tabloid):

<hr>
Interview from www.chartbuzz.com/interviews/utada
Quote:
INTERVIEW
9/10/05 : by JON
INTRODUCING UTADA
With millions of record sales under her belt, pop singer Utada is nothing less than a superstar back home in Japan.

Now she's getting ready to take Britain by storm with her curiously titled UK debut 'You Make Me Want To Be A Man'.

Japan's biggest pop star took time out from her hectic schedule to chat to Chartbuzz...

You're about to release your new single ' You Make Me Want To Be A Man'. Excited?

Of course! It's just like an experiment. It's always fun to see people's reactions.

How does it feel to be virtually unknown in the UK but so famous in Japan ?

I feel more comfortable here in the UK. I still find it strange that I AM famous in Japan. It hasn't gone to my head yet, after seven years.

How do you feel about being likened to Madonna and Bjork ?

Madonna and Bjork are two artists I love and admire. It's great to see artists that don't fit the mould, artists that can't really be compared to another.

What inspires you to write music ?

All the anger and helplessness I held up inside myself as a kid.

You're about to release your new album Exodus here in the UK. How long did the album take to make?

It took a year to complete the album.

Which is your favourite track?

My favourite track is Hotel Lobby. It's my "Roxanne".

What is your favourite album of all time?

Jeff Buckley "Grace".

Can you take us through a day in the life of UTADA ?

Every day is so different, and that is why this is the right job for me. There are 15 hour days in the studio, 18 hours of lights & action, days of shooting a video, and days of being a regular housewife.

Do you have any secret hobbies?

Cutting my fingernails as short as possible to play the guitar. I love the feeling nail clippers give me.

What embarrasses you?

When people treat me like a diva.

What is your favourite food?

Vinegar.

What's your favourite musical instrument?

Piano.

If you could have anybody living next door to you - living or dead - who would you choose?

Roald Dahl!

If your career had not been in music, what other path might you have taken? Writing children's books?

My childhood dreams were to be a manga artist or a scientist in a white lab coat.

Why do the Japanese seem so interested in your blood type ?

The Japanese believe that blood type strongly dictates character and behaviour. I believe it too. It's fun to try guessing people's blood types at a bar. Good for pick ups maybe?

What is the strangest question you have ever been asked in an interview and what was the answer?

"This one".

Utada's debut UK single 'You Make Me Want To Be A Man' is out this week.

Review also from ChartBuzz.com:
Quote:
UTADA
You Make Me Want To Be A Man
3/5 Stars

With 20 million albums sold in her home country, Utada has already made a name for herself as one of Japan's biggest stars.

Now the singer is taking a stab at dominating the UK market.

As the name may suggest, 'You Make Me Want To Be A Man' is certainly different.

The song has a unique sound with a distinct Asian feel, throwing elements of pop, R&B, dance and funk in to the mix.

It's fresh and modern, but the result is more experimental than it is commercial. Still, full marks for originality.

<hr>
from Channel4.com:
Quote:
Utada ?You Make Me Want To Be A Man? (Mercury)
Original and frankly mind bogglingly wonderful pop genius from, er, some foreign lady. Comments elicited included: ?Fucking amazing,? ?Best intro since that Misteeq one with the sirens,? ?She?s kooky without making you want to have her killed,? and so on. It?s different (in a good way!) to any other pop around, it?s got slightly unhinged production, and she loves kittens. And we love her. Feel the love!

...(and at the bottom of the page)...

Anyway, Utada is the winner! Hurrah!

<hr>
from Gigwise.com:
Quote:
Japan's UTADA To Break Britain?
With new album and single...

by Lowri Williams on 10/7/2005

Japanese songstress UTADA is getting ready to unleash her sound on UK listeners with the release of her new album and single.

To date UTADA has sold a UTADAmassive 20million albums in 3 years in her native Japan and over the years has been likened to greats like Bjork and and Madonna?quite an accolade.

?Exodus? is UTADA?s fist English language album and will be released in the UK on October 17, her debut album sold 10million copies in Japan making it the biggest selling album in Japanese history, not bad for a 22 year old.

The album features a appearance from Jon Theodore (of Mars Volta fame) and certain tracks have been produced by Timbaland himself. Before all this though we have new single ?You Make Me Want To Be A Man? to look forward to, this is released on October 10.

Check her out?

<hr>
from BBC White Label
Scroll down a bit on that page to see:
Quote:
Title: You Make Me Want To Be A Man
Artist: Utada
CD Title: Utada: You Make Me Want To Be A Man
Label: Mercury
Cat.No.: UTMANCDP1

"The track from Utada is very special, perhaps because of the quality and unfamiliarity of the music. I have a special interest in Japanese music and Utada is my favourite." -Laide Agbolade in Osun State, Nigeria

<hr>
from MaleFirst.co.uk:
Quote:
Article created on September 28, 2005, 11:39:28
Album/Single released on the 2005-10-10
JAPAN'S BIGGEST POPSTAR
UTADA
NEW SINGLE
'You Make Me Want To Be A Man' ? 10/10/05
NEW ALBUM
'Exodus' ? 17/10/05

22-year-old singer/songwriter Utada is set to unleash her enigmatic fusion of alternative, pop, dance and funk grooves on the UK in the form of her debut Mercury Records release, 'Exodus' on October 17th.

'Exodus' is Utada's first English language album, it follows 3 previous albums which have sold over 20 million copies in Japan, all entering #1 on the Japanese album chart. Her debut album sold 10 million copies making it the biggest selling album in Japanese history and stayed at #1 for 6 weeks.

Utada composes, writes and arranges all the songs on 'Exodus', infusing her music with seductive, witty lyrics and well-crafted melodies. She is joined on her debut album by some outstanding special guests that reflect her varied tastes: drummer Jon Theodore from Mars Volta delivers an infectious groove on "Kremlin Dusk;" and master producer Timbaland, who adds his funky touch to "Exodus '04", "Wonder 'Bout" and "Let Me Give You My Love."

'Exodus' will be supported through a unique 'MTV Digital Discovery' launch on MTV international websites by featuring a special series of Utada animations, videos and high editorial support, together with an MTV interview, digital downloads and an exclusive MTV First Listen album preview stream.

Raised in NY to a musical family (her father is a musician/producer and her mom was a beloved traditional-style Japanese singer in Japan), Utada was fed a diverse musical diet of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, The Police, and Dr. Dre, all of whom left their mark on Utada's musical style. At age 13, she was approached by Toshiba EMI to write several Japanese pop songs, resulting shortly thereafter in her first major album for the label in 1999. The million selling release catapulted Utada to Superstar status at just 15 years of age.

Her debut single 'You Make Me Want To Be A Man' will be released on October 10th. the track is accompanied by a 500k, dark, futuristic video which was directed by Kaz Kiriya.

<hr>
from BBC Top of the Pops:

Posted on: 2005/10/12 2:01
  •  tombraiderjmm
      tombraiderjmm
Re: Several YMMWTBAM Articles and Reviews
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L
LOL cool. Thanks Q. x3
Posted on: 2005/10/13 0:12
  •  Miiko
      Miiko
Re: Several YMMWTBAM Articles and Reviews
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 15/F/U.S
I am so glad that she's releasing 'Exodus' in the U.K. Next to "Eazy Breezy", "You Make Me Want to Be a Man" and "Hotel Lobby" are my personal favorites. I'm so excited and so happy! Thanks for the info! It's so amusing to read that she finds its enjoyable to clip her nails in order to play the guitar. Lolx.
Posted on: 2005/10/14 14:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic