Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Discussion
  What do you think of the Hikikomori demographic?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
What do you think of the Hikikomori demographic?
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
My most recent obsession has come to be "Why in the hell are their so many furiitas and Twixters among within this country?" and through my searching of an answer here on the intrawebz,it has been become painfully obvious that I and many of my "social peers" would fall under the general misconception of what a Hikikomori is.Looking to shed morelight on the matter(writing a paper for school actually),I want to hear from those that feel they have any idea of methods that can be taken to avoid/cure the condition,those that have been cured and those that are in said state currently or feel they are falling into the habits of Hikikomrism.I would first like you establish what you think of the hikikomori population so I can better understand your reasoning behind your suggestions.

For those unfamiliar with the term,here is the wiki because I'm too sleepy to keep typing.Though stated to be unique to Japan,I strongly beg to differ.Agoraphobics are the likely candidates for becoming hikikos.Germany and France have within recent years gained a noticeably increasing Hikikomori(and also Otaku) community.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:58
  •  Idle_mind
      Idle_mind
Re: What do you think of the Hikikomori demographic?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L In my infinite universe
I was diagnosed with schizophrenic depression. It lasted for two years. Those days I would only play video games and find pictures of Alley Baggett, a glamor model. I wouldn't leave the house for days. I think it also had to do with my education. I made a mistake 5 months into high-school graduation and transferred to a lower quality school. I gained motivation from Cognitive Behavior Therapy and the rest from anti-depressants. I was a bit of a recluse before the depression. I didn't socialize much and all that interested me were video games. I guess some people are born introverts. Chimpanzees are our closest living relatives in genetic terms and are very social. That extra genetic info that makes us human is what complicates things and of course that extra brain space.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 22:19
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Idle_mind wrote:
I was diagnosed with schizophrenic depression. It lasted for two years. Those days I would only play video games and find pictures of Alley Baggett, a glamor model. I wouldn't leave the house for days. I think it also had to do with my education. I made a mistake 5 months into high-school graduation and transferred to a lower quality school. I gained motivation from Cognitive Behavior Therapy and the rest from anti-depressants. I was a bit of a recluse before the depression. I didn't socialize much and all that interested me were video games. I guess some people are born introverts. Chimpanzees are our closest living relatives in genetic terms and are very social. That extra genetic info that makes us human is what complicates things and of course that extra brain space.

How old were you when this happened??
Posted on: 2009/11/16 22:40
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Posted on: 2009/11/17 1:02
  •  Idle_mind
      Idle_mind
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L In my infinite universe
I was 18, just finished high school.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 4:22
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
I concur that some people are born introverts. I covering a bit of this issue when I was doing my research paper a few weeks back. And from what I've read on the net, some can be caused by addiction, they're not born introverts. It's like they've fallen into a big black hole.

I've a friend who's kinda like that and people thinks he's weird and all. Whenever there are group discussions during classes, other members will kinda stare at him.

Anyways I think that communication and support from family members especially parents is vital to cure this. We need to communicate more with them. Who knows what they have in mind since they always isolate themselves?

I'm not one but during the beginning of this year it was a tad hard for me to adapt to my life after highschool. Didn't socialize much and I started to feel really negative and bad about myself and also things around me. I merely focused on things that will interest me such as video games, novels and studies. Sometimes I felt so extremely empty. Almost fell into depression but managed to pull myself out. Positivity helps too of course and try to give yourself more opportunities.
Posted on: 2009/11/17 19:19
  •  we1n88
      we1n88
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 22/ Male/ Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:
I concur that some people are born introverts. I covering a bit of this issue when I was doing my research paper a few weeks back. And from what I've read on the net, some can be caused by addiction, they're not born introverts. It's like they've fallen into a big black hole.

I've a friend who's kinda like that and people thinks he's weird and all. Whenever there are group discussions during classes, other members will kinda stare at him.

Anyways I think that communication and support from family members especially parents is vital to cure this. We need to communicate more with them. Who knows what they have in mind since they always isolate themselves?

I'm not one but during the beginning of this year it was a tad hard for me to adapt to my life after highschool. Didn't socialize much and I started to feel really negative and bad about myself and also things around me. I merely focused on things that will interest me such as video games, novels and studies. Sometimes I felt so extremely empty. Almost fell into depression but managed to pull myself out. Positivity helps too of course and try to give yourself more opportunities.

i felt exactly the same. However, my way out of this is thru joining more school activities (such as forming a club or join the student council). As you've mentioned, give yourself more opportunities. Go out and make friends, you do not have to be close to them at first, but if you're lucky, you'll find one or two friends that you're really comfortable with, and they may open up more network of friends that you may feel comfortable with too just thought i could share some of my experiences.
Posted on: 2009/11/18 1:15
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
I had a similar period earlier this year.I was a "NEET" from March-August.I had a pretty active summer though but spring however was very harsh for me.Issue with my ex...anxieties about actually breaking into the work force,feeling like I didn't have enough time to do anything.
Posted on: 2009/11/18 19:41
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
I feel as though present day society is facilitating this type of behaviour more and more so. Its emphasis on 'fitting in', on the 'haves' and 'haves' not have a very different impact on our psyches as human beings. The feelings of inadequacy, of misdirection (or even the lack of it) is a common feeling for the adolescents of today.

Expectations, obligations and the growing rift between parents and their children due to the 'I live to work' mentality prevalent today can no longer offer as a buffer or support for youths.

I had a very similar period in my youth. I am still largely introverted : my hobbies and personality still reflect this. I do not any longer believe that I am as nearly unsocial as I was - I have shod away most of my shyness and my will to become a person that exists outside of society.

For my part, I believe that I can speak for the rest of the Asian community. (forgive me if you think that I am wrong) Asian parents are very unapproachable. To this day, I am unable (or unwilling) to speak about personal matters to my parents. Asian culture discourages bonding and talking about feelings. Expressions such as, "I care," "I love you," or "I'm sorry," are rarely used. There is the unsaid rule that the parents are always right even if they are wrong. Feelings are present but buried deep beneath the surface. To quote a funny Google video, "It's the Samurai way."
Posted on: 2009/11/18 19:51
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Thank you for your post Ammy,it actually shines the light on the idea that this is definitely influence by the family life a great deal.This in particular is what makes the "hikikomori" wave unique to East Asian countries.But like you said,the social view of self also contributes and expectation of you,even on a global scale,is incredibly harsh.But is it that we as a -let's say "minority" are so strange and find it hard to adapt?or Is it that Society as whole wants us to be almost robotic in our lifestyles,goals and interests?What do you guys think?I personally feel yes.I often questioned if there was something wrong with me from the way I display my emotions.I can't say I'm so extrovert that I can cry anytime I feel sadness without a care but I've always done it when I felt it would just hurt more not to.I'm extremely out going for my partners.I have some aspects of the "Herbivorous male".Realizing this,I'm also forced to realize that other men acquaint this weakness and homosexuality.I even feel the disconnection from female appeal due to this as well.I find it odd that I ponder whether a woman will be emotionally accepting of my own emotions before I even introduce myself.It often makes me not want to try.Or ever have to,or ever have to be in a situation in which I could think about trying...and that's the route I felt I was going for the most part. Somewhere I figured there is no reason to give up on myself.
Posted on: 2009/11/19 17:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>