•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Random Thought....
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
Here's a random question for you all!!

When Utada thinks about something, does she think in Japanese or English?

And start your wondering... Now!
Posted on: 2010/2/18 16:40
  •  Camfans59
      Camfans59
Re: Random Thought....
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/female/NH
I've always wondered this too! Lol. Like when she's thinking thoughts in her head, are they thoughts in English or thoughts in Japanese? I have no idea, but I've always been curious about that too.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 17:19
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
I've always wondered that also.
I'm bilingual too. Born in Japan, been back & forth from Hawaii & Japan my whole life...
I think in English most of the time. But there are certain things that make sense better in Japanese.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 17:35
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
lol its hard to even imagine... for me I barely know any japanese or any other language so I cant imagine thinking in anything other than english...I think she thinks in japanese she seems to have alot more japanese blogs than english ones.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 17:37
  •  Camfans59
      Camfans59
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/female/NH
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
I've always wondered that also.
I'm bilingual too. Born in Japan, been back & forth from Hawaii & Japan my whole life...
I think in English most of the time. But there are certain things that make sense better in Japanese.

You're bilingual too! That's so cool! The one question I've always wanted to ask Hikki the most is which language was easier to learn and why? Can you answer this question personaly?
Posted on: 2010/2/18 18:31
  •  kjazz
      kjazz
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
The real question is when dreaming what language is it in?

I recall an interview that for lyrics she said she is more aware of gender in Japanese and not so in english.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 20:39
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
I think every language is difficult in their own ways.

For me, the time I've spent in Hawaii is longer than Japan... and I've gotten my education in Hawaii so even though Japanese was my first language, I've become adapted to the English language.

I have dreams in both English & Japanese. I guess it depends who's in the dream and what not.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:02
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Intriguing. I think it depends on the situation but perhaps more to Japanese? Yes, she said that in a way, she can be more feminine when she writes her English lyrics. On the other hand, she's writes from a less feminine point when it comes to Japanese lyrics. If I'm not wrong, she actually claimed that she can be quite androgynous when it comes to Japanese lyrics.
Posted on: 2010/2/19 2:57
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
Well, I'm bilingual too XD My native language is spanish...I learned spanish untill I was 9 Years old. Then environment changes and climate changes happened and I found myself speaking inglish untill today My english is far more sophisticated than my spanish...even though it's been half and half...sort of O.O

But, for me I find that I'm thinking in english about 90% of the time O.O

I also think in spanish whenever it seems right XD

or sometimes mixed D:

it's kind of strange for me XD

But, as far as I know...my dreams have been in english ever since I was 12 or 13??? O.o
Posted on: 2010/2/19 22:04
  •  Macdan
      Macdan
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L M/ Singapore
Interesting... I do speak English and Mandarin... so my thoughts are kind of mixed... For example, if I was thinking about this group of friends, whom I speak English with, then my thoughts will be in English...

I think Hikki is the same... For example, when she is thinking about her work related to Japan, she will thinking about it in Japanese...
Posted on: 2010/2/23 0:13
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic