Utada or Utada Hikaru?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Utada or Utada Hikaru?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Who do you like better? I know they are the same person, but both are different labels. The rest should be self explanatory. If you don't know the difference, you aren't a true fan lol.

Like a lot of people, I like Utada Hikaru better. Utada is okay, but it's only a completely different person outside of Japan. When in Japan, Utada Hikaru is super popular, everyone knows her, and is super excited to see. When in the US, it feels like Utada is a nobody compared to a lot of other people. It feels like when debuted in the US, her Utada Hikaru personality wasn't there, but only the newly Utada was. Similar story to TITO, but she could feel a little more or less like Utada Hikaru here because of Automatic Part II, and that some songs could be a little more personal. It is like she has been reincarnated as another person, but still is Utada. She said herself that Exodus was only the beginning, and she has "grown up" after that. TITO wasn't as great as Exodus IMO, but it's only the 2nd album. I predict we will see Utada's 3rd English album in 2014, if the pattern continues. The Utada Hikaru Japanese album, I predict next year for some reason. Maybe 1 more Japanese album before the English one.

Edit: I accidentally picked Utada, I wonder if a mod/admin can fix that lol.
Posted on: 2010/4/7 17:31
Re: Utada or Utada Hikaru?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L Not something you need to know
it really doesn't matter. a name is a name. wat matters it he music. music is always changing and hikki just changes with it. sometimes she changes music itself

www.youtube.com/fadcAuTra
Posted on: 2010/4/7 18:01
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 Male VA
When I first got into her, I spoke and thought "Hikaru Utada," but I pronounced it "Hick-a-roo" I guess somewhere between Exodus and TiTO, probably since it's the name on both of those albums, I got used to just saying and thinking "Utada." It's much easier and friendlier to my english-speaking mouth and pretty much everyone I've run into in my area who's a fan just uses "Utada"
Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:13
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I call her Utada because it's what she's known as in the US (at least to fans who don't know her Japanese work as well) so I think it makes more sense to call her that when talking to friends and stuff.
Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:17
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Lol, it seems like you aren't an a true fan (j/k xD).

Anyways, I'm talking about songs under each of those labels. So Utada is all her officially released English songs except for Simple and Clean/Sanctuary. Remix: Fly Me to the Moon wasn't on any album though, so that song doesn't count. U*STAR and Cubic U don't count since both of them weren't official. Utada Hikaru is obviously the officially released Japanese songs, and there is no Japanese song under the name Utada.
Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:19
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
I like cubic u.
Posted on: 2010/4/7 23:33
  •  Hikkis1in1million
      Hikkis1in1million
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 13/F/UK
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
U*STAR and Cubic U don't count since both of them weren't official.

U*STAR is An Album...And It Wasn't just Hikaru-San, It Was Hikaru-San's Mom And Dad Too. The Band Was U3 ^And I Would Count Them As Official As they Released Several Albums And Singles In Japan,They Released About 5 All Together And Hikki Released 5 Singles/Albums Too. Source - Hikki Forever
Any Way. I Prefer Utada Hikaru, As..Her Stuff As Utada (Except Exodus) Was Pretty Lame And Didn't Get me Going As Much. But Her Japanese Works Always Make Me Feel Welcome.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 2:26
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 16 / M / Palembang
I prefer Utada.
I think Utada is wilder, more mature, braver, and sexier version of her. And I always think that Utada is the true her.
Utada: seeking new fans by experimenting stuffs
Utada Hikaru: pleasing the Japanese fans by doing what people would like to hear from her

P.S.: Sanctuary is actually under the name Utada, thought
Posted on: 2010/4/8 11:03
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
I have to vote for Utada Hikaru mainly because of the song Hikari. It was the first song I heard by her and the reason I became a fan.
To be honest I don't like her English music as much as her Japanese music, and the names Cubic U and Utada make me think of them.
It also doesn't help that I dislike R@B in general and it seems "Utada" wants to go in that direction.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 13:20
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
(I misread this whole thread at first and now I voted wrong. )

I prefer Hikaru Utada because she has a larger body of work and she seems freer with her music. She experiments with her ever sound and it evolves from album to album. Her music is a reflection of herself in the moment.

Utada is great too. Utada is a LOT more bold, I'll give her that. But she is just a LITTLE too concerned with her image at the moment, because she isn't established like Hikaru is in Japan. Disregarding Exodus for a moment, which was much more like Hikaru Utada in my opinoin, her American music is what she thinks others want to hear. For instance, I'll admit it, most of the songs on TITO have really awkward lyrics. It's not because she is bad at song-writing in English. It's because she was trying too hard to sound commercial. Think of "Simple and Clean" or "Sanctuary". Those songs were originally written in Japanese and were later rewritten in English at moments when Utada was not concerned about her American image. The lyrics in these songs seems a lot more natural than those on other Englsih albums. Sometimes Utada tries too hard rather than letting "it" come on its own...
Posted on: 2010/4/8 14:28
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>