12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
In The Flesh DVD?
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
It's been over 5 months since the concert ended and no word of any DVD releases so we can assume there will be none.

I'm very disappointed by this to the say the least, I wonder why they decided to pull the plug on releasing a dvd just like they pulled the plug on the album and pretty much her English career.

I really have nothing but hate for IDJ and the whole American pop music industry as a whole.
When no talent clowns like Katy Perry and Kesha can make it big on just promotion and whoring themselves out to the public while Utada (who's music and voice is about 1000 times better then both combined) can't even get her songs played even once on the radio it makes me physically sick.
Posted on: 2010/7/7 9:05
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Re: In The Flesh DVD?
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
Hadn't this topic already been made?
Posted on: 2010/7/7 10:26
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
Hadn't this topic already been made?
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
It's been over 5 months since the concert ended and no word of any DVD releases so we can assume there will be none.

I'm very disappointed by this to the say the least, I wonder why they decided to pull the plug on releasing a dvd just like they pulled the plug on the album and pretty much her English career.

I really have nothing but hate for IDJ and the whole American pop music industry as a whole.
When no talent clowns like Katy Perry and Kesha can make it big on just promotion and whoring themselves out to the public while Utada (who's music and voice is about 1000 times better then both combined) can't even get her songs played even once on the radio it makes me physically sick.

The non release of the DVD is not only because of idj, utada prbly didn't want to have it released either.Why does everybody blame everything on idj?
And while I do agree that utada has better music than katy perry or kesha, they aren't no talent clowns. Utada isn't the only singer who makes good songs and has a pretty good voice in the American music industry. You talk like she's the goddess of all music
  •  Canitoch
      Canitoch
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16/M/IN
There's already a topic about a Tour DVD, and so far I don't think she will be releasing one.

Also..are you always filled with so much hate? You bash on everyone with every post you get, it's rather annoying, and not necessary.
Posted on: 2010/7/7 12:35
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I agree that while it is disappointing a DVD hasn't been released, you can't hate the whole American music industry for it. And like it has been stated, Utada's music is better and more soulful than Katy Perry and Kesha's, it doesn't mean they're talentless (censored)s. They have many catchy songs and they know how to create music that captures the American audience. They deserve credit for that.

I also really wanted a DVD too since I wasn't able to attend any of her shows. But by now, I guess it's an "Oh well". The thing we should just do now is hope she's doing well and also wait for future music from her.
Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:01
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:
I agree that while it is disappointing a DVD hasn't been released, you can't hate the whole American music industry for it. And like it has been stated, Utada's music is better and more soulful than Katy Perry and Kesha's, it doesn't mean they're talentless (censored)s. They have many catchy songs and they know how to create music that captures the American audience. They deserve credit for that.

While I'm not one to judge any genre of artistry (even if only in name) wholesale, I think there is some merit to being realistic. Ninety percent of the so-called "artists" that compose the pop music industry, Perry and Ke$ha included, do not engage in most and sometimes any of the following: writing their own lyrics (co-writing is usually a front and doesn't count); composing their own music; playing their own instruments; actually singing; mixing or in some other way closely observing the production of their works. These "artists" may have talents and qualities worth examining, but they certainly haven't proven that by any means of their own determination. What do they do? They stand on stage, they look pretty, they give interviews, and they get a lot of money to spend. If you consider that a "talent" then, sure, the American pop music industry is rife with budding potential.

I recognize that there are exceptions to the rule: look, Lady GaGa can actually kind of play the piano and she actually kind of writes her own lyrics and she can actually kind of sing and she also actually kind of has some sort of pseudo-political message (which she mainly uses to vague scandalous effect with little motivational intent behind any particular social movement or goal). But she's the sort of exception that sort of proves the rule- and when set next to Utada, I see very separate sets of capabilities that are on completely different levels from one another. Lady GaGa knows how to be more effectual than inspiring, and that places her firmly in the Ameripop talent zone; she constantly sacrifices her own obvious potential for visual shock effect and superficial social challenges. That's her prerogative, as it is every other American pop artist's- but it isn't Utada's, and I think that's what sets her apart.

What makes it frustrating is that Utada understands the workings of music, therefore she can make personalized art that isn't a reflection of anything but her own thoughts and feelings- that's something I would like to think people can really connect with, and I'm not sure why that isn't more integral to ANY major music industry. But it isn't. It's like people are being trained to disassociate music with emotion- and I'm not saying that it's deliberate but there is a group of people capitalizing on the absolutely undeniable superficiality of radio pop. Not only Utada, but artists like Utada, are out there doing things a little bit differently and a little bit the same, enough to be perfect catalysts for widespread change in collective musical awareness, yet they aren't given the kind of breakthrough opportunities and consideration that bland, uninspired pop robots like Ke$ha or Beiber are. That's saddening- and it's why I have to agree with the opening post. American pop is just no good so long as it remains a homogeneous collection of root music with no room for individual expression that isn't either so outrageous as to be marketable (GaGa) or so castrated as to be ignored (all of the above).

I can really see why Hikki has been saying she doesn't want to make it big here. I fear and loathe the things she would have to do.
Posted on: 2010/7/8 1:28
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:

While I'm not one to judge any genre of artistry (even if only in name) wholesale, I think there is some merit to being realistic. Ninety percent of the so-called "artists" that compose the pop music industry, Perry and Ke$ha included, do not engage in most and sometimes any of the following: writing their own lyrics (co-writing is usually a front and doesn't count); composing their own music; playing their own instruments; actually singing; mixing or in some other way closely observing the production of their works. These "artists" may have talents and qualities worth examining, but they certainly haven't proven that by any means of their own determination. What do they do? They stand on stage, they look pretty, they give interviews, and they get a lot of money to spend. If you consider that a "talent" then, sure, the American pop music industry is rife with budding potential.

I recognize that there are exceptions to the rule: look, Lady GaGa can actually kind of play the piano and she actually kind of writes her own lyrics and she can actually kind of sing and she also actually kind of has some sort of pseudo-political message (which she mainly uses to vague scandalous effect with little motivational intent behind any particular social movement or goal). But she's the sort of exception that sort of proves the rule- and when set next to Utada, I see very separate sets of capabilities that are on completely different levels from one another. Lady GaGa knows how to be more effectual than inspiring, and that places her firmly in the Ameripop talent zone; she constantly sacrifices her own obvious potential for visual shock effect and superficial social challenges. That's her prerogative, as it is every other American pop artist's- but it isn't Utada's, and I think that's what sets her apart.

What makes it frustrating is that Utada understands the workings of music, therefore she can make personalized art that isn't a reflection of anything but her own thoughts and feelings- that's something I would like to think people can really connect with, and I'm not sure why that isn't more integral to ANY major music industry. But it isn't. It's like people are being trained to disassociate music with emotion- and I'm not saying that it's deliberate but there is a group of people capitalizing on the absolutely undeniable superficiality of radio pop. Not only Utada, but artists like Utada, are out there doing things a little bit differently and a little bit the same, enough to be perfect catalysts for widespread change in collective musical awareness, yet they aren't given the kind of breakthrough opportunities and consideration that bland, uninspired pop robots like Ke$ha or Beiber are. That's saddening- and it's why I have to agree with the opening post. American pop is just no good so long as it remains a homogeneous collection of root music with no room for individual expression that isn't either so outrageous as to be marketable (GaGa) or so castrated as to be ignored (all of the above).

I can really see why Hikki has been saying she doesn't want to make it big here. I fear and loathe the things she would have to do.

You should write for Rolling Stone magazine.
Thanks for the well informed and intelligent response.
Posted on: 2010/7/8 9:15
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

paradiseisland wrote:

I'm NOT saying that is what talent is. Yes, I realize that I was wrong when I said they create music. I DO know that many so called artists just sing and look pretty while other people craft their songs for them. I was just saying that people like Katy Perry and Ke$ha are the center of the American pop scene and that you unfortunately can't deny. And while this is saddening to you, that's just the way it is and sadly we can't change it. And while they are far from Utada in terms of emotion when it comes to music, they are not completely talentless. And I do know that Utada weaves herself into her music and how she has a total understanding of music being a vehicle for a musical artist to express his/her emotions and feelings. It's why I love her music in the first place and why she will forever be my favorite musician. Music by definition is an art form based on sound and how it is created depends on social and cultural context. I love Utada's music, but how we perceive real music is only our opinions. Many others just think music has to be catchy with infectious hooks and emotion does not need to matter. It all depends on preference. We may embrace emotion in music, while other people won't. That's just the way it is and everyone has their own opinions. C'est la vie.
Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:07
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Utada has been known to spring the odd surprise, the announcement and publicity surrounding ?In the Flesh? did appear out of the blue....the release of a commemorative DVD could well be treated in a similar fashion .....

Dad, the ever wanton hippy wannabe commented recently ?Kids these days, what?s the story with their attitude to music, they?re X-Factor obsessed?.......

A throw away comment with a sting, the UK show enjoys weekly viewing figures averaging 12 Million plus......

Malcolm McLaren once observed 'We live in a karaoke culture, the Japanese word means empty orchestra, a lifeless musical form unencumbered by creativity and free of responsibility, simple clean fun for the millennial nuclear family. You can't fail in a karaoke world, its life by proxy, liberated by hindsight, authenticity on the other hand, believes in the messy process of creativity. It's unpopular and out of fashion. It worships failure, regarding it as a romantic and noble pursuit, better to be a flamboyant failure than any kind of benign success.' .............

Does the viewing, so called ?global audience? really care anyway?.....
Posted on: 2010/7/9 5:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>