Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  How do you expect Hikki's music after 2-5years break on her career?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
How do you expect Hikki's music after 2-5years break on her career?
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
I'm currently watching Channel [V] and the video that they're playing is Christina Aguilera's newest MV. She's been in a hiatus for several years and currently released new MVs (a Lady Gaga wannabe like MV). Yes, she could sing and dance but it was so shocking that after a decent Christina Aguilera in the 90s, this will be her comeback.

This has nothing to do with Utada, I know. But what do you think about Hikki's music after a long hiatus? Will she remain her style or go with the flow of the current generation? She did change some of her style when she released TiTO. But what about after a long time Japanese comeback?

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/13 6:37
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Re: How do you expect Hikki's music after 2-5years break on her career?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

soulhunter14 wrote:
I'm currently watching Channel [V] and the video that they're playing is Christina Aguilera's newest MV. She's been in a hiatus for several years and currently released new MVs (a Lady Gaga wannabe like MV). Yes, she could sing and dance but it was so shocking that after a decent Christina Aguilera in the 90s, this will be her comeback.

This has nothing to do with Utada, I know. But what do you think about Hikki's music after a long hiatus? Will she remain her style or go with the flow of the current generation? She did change some of her style when she released TiTO. But what about after a long time Japanese comeback?

Okay, I'm completely confused by your first paragraph about Christina Aguilera. Christina Aguilera didn't disappear or in this case, go on hiatus, after her debut in the late 90's and then randomly comeback with her new material. Christina Aguilera's music slowly changed. Within the time of "Genie In A Bottle" and the new MV's you're talking about, she's had two other CD's released. She didn't drastically change, but gradually did. She went from bubble gum pop, to gritty pop/ballads, to a jazz inspired feel, and now she's dabbling into the new age of music. Just some clarification in case you didn't know. And as far as Lady Gaga is concerned, Lady gaga is no originator.

On topic:
I don't the Utada will "go with the flow". I don't even think that flow has hit Japan as much as it has hit Korea. Utada's never one to follow the fad in music, as we can tell by her unique sounds from Deep River and Ultra Blue. She never changed her style when she released This Is The One, but simply went back to her roots, R&B/pop.
Remember First Love and Distance? That's the original Utada.
I don't think this hiatus will hinder her career. Utada will comeback with fresh new ideas and everyone will eat it up like candy. It'll be interesting to actually see what has changed about Utada when she comes back. I guess only time will tell.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/8/13 11:12
  •  Sakura'10
      Sakura'10
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/Male/Portugal
I have to agree with Jiremi. Hikaru never changed her style. And like Jiremi said, Hikaru will come back with fresh, new ideas and I'm really looking forward to it! But I'm going to miss her so much!
Posted on: 2010/8/13 12:10
  •  goku1337
      goku1337
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19 male NLR AR
LOL only Time will tell Jiremi right as utada said she dont stay with the same old style shes like to mix it up some time . but dont think shes going to come back in 5 years an start raping about Money sex an drugs Hikaru-Sama has more skills than that she'll never stop her hip hop pop an jumpy songs like letters, Uso Mitai Na I Love You, Play Ball, Hikari, Wait & See,Can You Keep A Secret,Addicted To You, Movin on without you, Automatic 1-2, Celebrate,Fight The Blues ( ぼくはくま Boku Wakuma) ( 虹色バス Nijiiro Basu de) FYI , an MY fav the one that always makes me happy KEEP TRYIN
Posted on: 2010/8/13 12:32
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
Quote:

goku1337 wrote:
LOL only Time will tell Jiremi right as utada said she dont stay with the same old style shes like to mix it up some time . but dont think shes going to come back in 5 years an start raping about Money sex an drugs Hikaru-Sama has more skills than that she'll never stop her hip hop pop an jumpy songs like letters, Uso Mitai Na I Love You, Play Ball, Hikari, Wait & See,Can You Keep A Secret,Addicted To You, Movin on without you, Automatic 1-2, Celebrate,Fight The Blues ( ぼくはくま Boku Wakuma) ( 虹色バス Nijiiro Basu de) FYI , an MY fav the one that always makes me happy KEEP TRYIN

Well, I don't think she is going to come back "raping" about anything but I'm sure we'll see something new. It may seem like she's going back to something old but in reality, it's new. Ya feel me? lol I do hope when she comes back she comes back with nice, long hair and a new single and some posters. Posters FTW =O

Check out this hat for sale!
http://www.zazzle.com/heart_station_hat-148152297661170325
Posted on: 2010/8/13 13:19
  •  Sakura'10
      Sakura'10
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/Male/Portugal
~Billy<3'sHikki~ wrote:
Quote:
I do hope when she comes back she comes back with nice, long hair and a new single and some posters. Posters FTW =O

I miss her long hair!

*.*
Posted on: 2010/8/13 14:51
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
Will she focus on pop music or will she go back to mostly R&B? Hmmm, I wonder. Anyway, I'll be excited to hear what her music will sound like when she returns.
Posted on: 2010/8/13 20:02
  •  Chace
      Chace
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Utada will come back with glory and bring the new style to us
she will put heart and soul to her songs and we can listen more soulful songs of Utada
Posted on: 2010/8/13 22:31
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
On Christina Aguilera, I wasn't really able to follow her music and didn't felt her presence for the past years (at least in my country). But seeing massive comments on her PVs on youtube audience views on her music is not quite good and sometimes harsh. It has been a long time after I saw her with a new music. And after that long time, I kept on hearing bad thoughts on her comeback since then. I know Lady Gaga is not original though. I saw several Lady Gaga-like artists before but at this time, she is the current talk of the people and made this weird style very famous.

Though I still doesn't know what will Utada's music be in the next years, I was wondering if the acceptance of the people will be as before on her. Yes, Utada is a living legend on the Japanese music industry. But as years pass, new artists arrives. I don't know how will I use this term in English but we call it "nalalaos" in Filipino or uhmm, ermm.. somewhat her shine will fade a little? (something close to that). And about TiTO, it was indeed a great album. Not that I'm saying she changed a big part on her music, but as what you Jiremi said, it seems like Utada went back to r&b/pop but it goes with a little twist. Somehow, I hate it when people close-mindedly think that her music suck. Mostly, people are blinded with new singers/groups that can't really sing nor dance at all. Blinded by those sex oriented songs and body revealing dudes.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/8/14 1:41
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I think if nothing else, the new music she's getting ready to put out along with her singles collection will give an indication as to where Hikaru Utada is planning to go with her career. Right now she's in a major state of transition; it seems to me that after putting out "This Is The One", an album that harked back to her very first endeavors in the music world, following the experimental wave that carried her from "Deep River"/"Exodus" onward into "Heart Station" has really compelled her to put out some kind of call for orientation. As I see it, Utada has always struggled with who she is as an artist- not in a bad way, but in a way that gives her the motivation and the introspective sort of clarity to make music that doesn't necessarily follow a specific trend or pattern outside of its own natural non-linear development.

She also hinted in an interview during TITO promotions that she would like to return to Japan doing something really weird and different. While I'm personally pulling for a totally unexpected revelatory work a la "ULTRA BLUE", I'm not expecting anything in particular. She said in her blog that she would continue to write and record as the urge overtook her during her "hiatus", so it's my hope that when we do finally get a full-fledged release it will reflect the length of time she's been away in its composition. That's about all the speculation I'm willing to do at this point. :3

As an addendum, I would dispute that Hikki "changed" anything in her return to the States with TITO. On the contrary, it was "Exodus" that marked her true foray into independently creative music, and if anything it was at that point that she "changed." TITO was a step back to her roots, something I felt she was trying to emphasize in her communications regarding its theme- "Exodus," "ULTRA BLUE" and "HEART STATION" had taken her on a journey beyond the routine circulation of R&B/Pop musicality that characterized her first three albums, but "This Is The One" gave her the opportunity to ground herself and start anew in a fun, funky, no-strings-attached fashion. And we can all use some fun and funky Utada in our lives. That's just my interpretation, though, you may have another: I don't presume to understand the workings of Utada's artistic mentality, I merely adore theorizing about it. <3
Posted on: 2010/8/14 22:27
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>