12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  LilMissPocket-Size
      LilMissPocket-Size
Why I love Utada?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Hey guys, many people find it strange that I listen to a Japanese artist because I'm African American, and of course I don't know much Japanese, so my friends find it weird. So I did this video explaining why. I figured I would post it on here, some of you may find it interesting lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3qKqZK4zU&feature=plcp
Posted on: 2012/4/27 16:02
  •  Kawashima
      Kawashima
Re: Why I love Utada?
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 16/F/Poland
Utada has many fans fans in Japan, but she has some worldwide as well. I.e. I'm from Poland, you're African American, Jayenciel is from Singapuore, and I guess that majority in this forum is non-japanese society. It's ok to listen whatever you want, regardless of languages you speak. I understand only a few words in japanese, but if I want to know what does utada sing, there are lots of sites with translations, even on utadanet you can find some. her music is beautiful, her voice is flawless she's awesome at live performances. Music is international. Looking at others is pointless. Musical taste is everyone's own business. Don't pay attention to the others, it leads nowhere.
Posted on: 2012/4/28 1:44
  •  Jayenciel
      Jayenciel
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Taiwan
I agree with you, it's not weird at all. I'm Taiwanese (I study in Singapore)and i was exposed to music at around 11 and it has been expanding ever since. I listen to anything from classical,jazz,rock,metal to avant-garde,world music etc. u name it.

The type of music you listen depends on your background. For example the forefathers of jazz was from Afro-Americans and thus influenced generations of Afro-Americans and also the music gained a wider audience throughout America. Through the demands of people, it is being broadcast by radio/TV and this is how mainstream music originated.
The sad thing is most Westerners don't appreciate and
recognize Asian music. WHY?
-Perhaps its because of pro-american society.
-Continents are far apart and lack of cultural exchange.
-Language.

which is why Music is not universal.
Often we find the language to be a barrier, however Music itself is much complex and requires a higher level of comprehension. Music comprise of different elements like melody, harmony, texture, rhythms which can't be expressed with words.

I strongly believe that the media should not limit our musical taste. We should also broaden our retrospect on music instead of self confinement.
That's the only way music could evolve.

sry i turned this into a debate session
Posted on: 2012/4/28 2:43
  •  LilMissPocket-Size
      LilMissPocket-Size
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Thanks for watching and commenting guys. You both made some very good points. I get tired of people talking about the music I listen to because I like a wide variety of stuff. I can't stand when people say they love music but only listen to 2 genres...
Posted on: 2012/4/28 9:51
  •  kayoko
      kayoko
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 30/M/KOR
its YOUR style.

LoBFCanti on here is African American as well and he loves Japanese music. And he hates rap. Some may think that's weird or Japanoholic, but it is what it is. Like whatever you like.
Posted on: 2012/4/30 13:57
  •  Son_Takahani
      Son_Takahani
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 / Male / Oregon, USA
I fully agree! I'm white, but I prefer listening to Japanese music than most English music. Occasionally I will listen to some rock or pop, depending on the sound of it. I always listened to music that just sounded good to me, stuff that I enjoyed, not even paying attention to artists! Utada was one of my first artists that I actually cared about the artist name, and I know have mp3s of ALL her studio and compilation albums, a first for me! Utada was the first artist I ever cared about listening whole albums of, then my range began to spread. Anyone who says that the music I listen to is weird or creeper status or makes me a freak is just ignorant and a hater of fine music. I mean, recently, a lot of music that I have been noticing being published these days are made by amateurs who can hardly even sing! Prime example: LMFAO. Now, I don't mean to completely hate on them, but a lot of their music that I have seen is totally ridiculous, and just about ALL of it is completely auto-tuned. What that tells me is that they aren't really trying to bring up personal music like Utada. The music that they send out is just stuff that adapts to the crowd, not the artist. I care so little about them, that I only know of 2 or 3 of their "songs". I mean, have they even MADE a record yet?
Posted on: 2012/10/18 10:05
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 22 / Male / Marseille
I'm a French african who loves Hikaru! You know, right here, it's even more strange to people, that I could love someone as her as well, but I don't care about it! I'm just true to myself and that's just what I need!!
I also love her, because she's the first person I had a crush in her voice, the first who blew me away, right away, I was just 7 then, but I love her so much!!! I feel I'll put a video explaining who's she to me too. ;)

Edit:

Here it is
Utada, YouTube & I
Posted on: 2012/11/4 8:30
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
thanks for share.
Posted on: 2014/5/28 0:21
  •  KumaLuva
      KumaLuva
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Her music is incredible, her voice is awesome, she has a
great personality, super smart, talented ,sweet, infinitely cool and cute.

I also love that she is classy and modest and doesn't have resort to stupid gimmicks or act like a (censored) to garner attention.

But in the end it's that enchanting smile and those big, soulful brown eyes that always get me.
For me she is a truly breathtaking beauty and is the very definition of what a goddess is.

I swear, whenever I see her smile it's like I fall in love with her all over again.

Am I the only one?
Posted on: 2014/5/28 7:35
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 22 / Male / Marseille
I don't think so. Oh. Wait. Actually, that's exactly how I do feel about her! And I think, the message is super cute btw
Posted on: 2014/6/2 12:14
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>