New English album predictions and expectations

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: New English album predictions and expectations
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20/balitmore/M
we all wont hir to sell right but i got some thing, hir viedo has not come out yit for come back to me in the us right now we all know ppl spend time looking at tv and on the internet,and music video's macks the song that much better. and vh1 alway dos that you need to know arties, thiere one promotion.now look at other like adele did well in the US. now i think she going to do great this time around, lats just give hir are support and lats see how the video gos and hir cd out march 24 it not march yit lat just see what happens.and myspce is alway showing new arties so mybe that well help.lat just hope and she gos good
Posted on: 2009/2/25 15:50
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

- "Come Back to Me" easily being her biggest US radio hit yet. It's already steamrolled "Easy Breezy."

Another one we can scratch off the list as of today!
Posted on: 2009/2/25 7:10
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:

- I'm hoping to personally hear "Come Back to Me" or another single on my local radio stations.

Well, we can scratch this one off at least. I just heard the song on the radio. And it was glorious.
Posted on: 2009/2/22 3:03
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 17 / M / England
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:
I want to get in my hopes and expectations ahead of the adds date on Feb 10, so here goes:

Content Hopes/Expectations
When I first heard that she was working with Stargate, I was really happy since I was looking forward to her making a big pop ballad or two, and I think they've delivered with "Come Back to Me." But now knowing they've done SIX tracks on the album scares the crap out of me. I fear this will be not only a ballad-heavy album (I want some jams!), but that the tracks will sound alike as well.

I'm looking forward to "Tricky" Stewart's tracks. I for one am actually hoping for a kind of pop/hip-hop/electro hybrid sound as it could be a spiritual extension of Exodus, which is my favorite Utada album.

Commercial Hopes/Expectations
I see some people expecting a platinum album with multiple top 20 singles. WHOA, let's slow down a second people, haha! There's a lot of just-plain-luck that goes into whether an album "takes off" or not. Remember, even if Island and Utada do everything right there's still no guarantee that the album will be huge. Hope for the best but also be prepared for the worst.

Here's what I'm hoping/expecting:

- "Come Back to Me" easily being her biggest US radio hit yet. It's already steamrolled "Easy Breezy."

- It would be cool if we could get a remix with a collaboration with a big western artist!

- I'm hoping the album debuts in the top 50. This will be easier for This is the One since March is usually a less competitive time than the fall when Exodus was released.

- I'm hoping "Come Back to Me" or another single makes it to the Billboard Hot 100. If it can go top 40 that would be GREAT!

- I'm hoping to personally hear "Come Back to Me" or another single on my local radio stations.

- I'm hoping to see Utada on TV. I know she had interviews with MTV News and CNN last time, hopefully she can do much more. Something fun like Ellen would be good for her I think.

Mostly, I don't really need This is the One to be a big smash hit (though it'd be nice of course!). But I DO want to feel like Utada has an actual presence in the US. My problem with Exodus' reception wasn't that it flopped, but that it had flown completely under my radar--- and I actually pay attention to pop music! It was almost a year later before I had discovered Exodus and Utada.

It's OK for me if This is the One doesn't "make it big," but I'm hoping it's an album that people will at least know about and remember.

Yeah, I agree really. I'll steal your format:

I don't expect it to be as great as Heart Station; those sorts of heavy ballads with lush melodies aren't what the US market is after and that album is still recent so I'd like something different. I fully expect the Tricky tracks to be better than the Stargate ones. His work on Mary J Blige's Growing Pains album is quite subdued and yet also amazing; I think his stuff with Hikki might be quite similar...

By the time of the album's release I'd like Come Back To Me to have at least made the Bubbling Under chart, perhaps the lower end of the Hot 100. That's a big ask but airplay is climbing very nicely at the minute. All I really hope for is a second single with video and some big promotion - Ellen or Good Morning America. Not some cable show no one watches!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 7:43
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
While I wish for Utada Hikaru to succeed, I don't know if she will. I will not anchor my boat upon either bank and just simply wait the storm to pass through. I'll be a happy observer in these events.

Either way, she's Utada Hikaru. I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy this album.. ultimately, that's what matters to me.
Posted on: 2009/2/8 20:12
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
I want to get in my hopes and expectations ahead of the adds date on Feb 10, so here goes:

When I first heard that she was working with Stargate, I was really happy since I was looking forward to her making a big pop ballad or two, and I think they've delivered with "Come Back to Me." But now knowing they've done SIX tracks on the album scares the crap out of me. I fear this will be not only a ballad-heavy album (I want some jams!), but that the tracks will sound alike as well.

I'm looking forward to "Tricky" Stewart's tracks. I for one am actually hoping for a kind of pop/hip-hop/electro hybrid sound as it could be a spiritual extension of Exodus, which is my favorite Utada album.

I see some people expecting a platinum album with multiple top 20 singles. WHOA, let's slow down a second people, haha! There's a lot of just-plain-luck that goes into whether an album "takes off" or not. Remember, even if Island and Utada do everything right there's still no guarantee that the album will be huge. Hope for the best but also be prepared for the worst.

Here's what I'm hoping/expecting:

- It would be cool if we could get a remix with a collaboration with a big western artist!

- I'm hoping the album debuts in the top 50. This will be easier for This is the One since March is usually a less competitive time than the fall when Exodus was released.

- I'm hoping "Come Back to Me" or another single makes it to the Billboard Hot 100. If it can go top 40 that would be GREAT!

- I'm hoping to see Utada on TV. I know she had interviews with MTV News and CNN last time, hopefully she can do much more. Something fun like Ellen would be good for her I think.

Mostly, I don't really need This is the One to be a big smash hit (though it'd be nice of course!). But I DO want to feel like Utada has an actual presence in the US. My problem with Exodus' reception wasn't that it flopped, but that it had flown completely under my radar--- and I actually pay attention to pop music! It was almost a year later before I had discovered Exodus and Utada.

It's OK for me if This is the One doesn't "make it big," but I'm hoping it's an album that people will at least know about and remember.
Posted on: 2009/2/8 18:10
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
I wish there are more discussions of this sort, else I would post here primarily.

It's an interesting thing that Hikki would be accused of being a sell-out NOW, as opposed to when she was doing commercials for various entities in Japan years and years prior to her 10th anniversary.

I'll keep this post simple by saying that the definition of Pop music is music that's enjoyed by the masses with no set style. She appeals to the masses in Japan readily - this fact is supported by her recurrant success in their market. Her songs can be relective, but the lyrics aren't overly deep in MOST songs, or in any song - rather. A few, such as 'Deep River' and 'Blue' do invoke some thought and higher (or deeper.. if you will) meaning in their writing. That besides, from songs such as Distance to Keep Tryin' to Prisoner of Love, their message, their use of language and writing in general is simplistic.

I must say that I enjoy her music far more than other J-Artists. The sounds are exotic and creative, and I often love their melodies. Even her first two albums struck a chord with me: whether this is fandom speaking or not, I cannot yet say. I just know that I enjoy most things that Utada Hikaru does. Such that, I am anticipating this album, as I am one of the few that finds much redeem in FIRST LOVE and DISTANCE.

I have forgotten how and why I learned to like Hikki's music - all I do now know is that I tend to like the works that she produces. While EXODUS was a dissapointment for me, her appeal to the more 'mainstream' sound of the American market is by no means uncalled for or unethical. If strong force did not win the battle, why not use soft force? She's adapting to the climate of the industry. It's smart business.. and at the end of the day, that's all that music is (in the recording industry).

FTR: I hope that her music doesn't sound too 'black'. I am far from knowledgeable, but I really dislike that kind of Hip-Hop/Ebonic culture creeping into my music. BOA has tried (and continues to?) try to work that into her music, much to my distaste. That's all I'll say about personal preferences.

I do hope that she throws something at us that will be more than just 'another song'. Blending in is great, but she needs something to distinguish herself and get noticed as well.

I was worried months ago, but after hearing CBTM I feel quite positive about the whole affair.
Posted on: 2009/2/6 21:47
  •  lollercoaster
      lollercoaster
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:

I've been through my share of internet fan communities of varying interests, and this kind of "fan ownership" is pretty universal. It does seem to be particularly intense on Utada sites, and I think that has a lot to do with the more sensible fans actually being in Japan and visiting Japanese fansites, so that leave us with English-speaking fans that are a combination of young and geeky, which both have pretty pretentious qualities.

Well, this has become quite the derail! I think we've covered this subject enough for now, I hope it hasn't permanently made the thread off-topic.

I'll just keep it short on this topic and say that I agree 100%. It's also funny seeing that contingent scramble when someone calls her a mainstream artist -- "Hikki isn't mainstream, is she???"

And I agree, Truten -- I'm looking forward to her new blends of styles on this album. I'm trying really hard not to expect the songs to be a certain way because that route unfailingly leads to disappointment. It's also absurd on it's face -- you're not psychic, you do not know what the artist's (this word is so abused, too) intention for the album was, so why would you expect anything? But I do understand why people expect new songs to be like older ones -- they just want to hear what they like. But it's not about the fans, which will lead me to another tangent about fan expectations, people's aversion to change in general, and the enormity that is the record industry... so I won't go there. I actually caught myself (the only time!) saying, "I hope there's a song like Stay Gold on the new album!"

But I do think I have a few reasonable (to me) expectations:

1) that the rest of the Stargate songs will not have hand claps (or tinny synth drums or cheesy guitar or barely audible synth). On the big graph of hand claps v. overall enjoyment (in the Stargate universe, of course), one will find an inversely proportional relationship: the more hand claps, the less enjoyment I will get. Hand claps in general are egregious by themselves in even one song -- imagine them in 6!

2) that "Tricky" Stewart kept his corny imitation electro-pop/R&B to a minimum. One can only hope that Utada reined him in on this one. There is always at least a trace of it on all of his songs -- and it sure is annoying. It sounds like he tries too hard to be different within the R&B mainstream. And it is, but that's not saying much. It only looks like an improvement in an age of Stargate's domination the mainstream R&B output these days.

These two teams' previous work is generally pretty cheesy (especially Stargate's work for UK artists). And we all know that arrangements make or break a song. Maybe I am a little apprehensive. But I really should just be waiting for the final product without projecting my wishes onto it. I made a promise to stay away from all Utada related forums for two weeks, maybe until March 4th (I deleted my RSS feeds for U.Blog, the U3 Blog, and Hikki Texts and try to stay away from her MySpace page), but scott_o_k's post drew me back in...!! Must... go... back... into... hiding...
Posted on: 2009/2/6 21:09
  •  Truten
      Truten
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/UK
I couldn't add any ore to what you guys have said, its very wonderful.

Back to the top, since Utada herself has spoken of her work resembling her "First Love" era makes me very excited. Though I don't own that album myself Utada's R&B side. She's got the perfect voice for it and she always manages to bring out a really catchy and deep R&B song. But of course I'm looking forward to the Pop side of the album to, and to hearing her new English work. I liked Exodus though some of the songs aren't my favourites some of them really were a joy to listen to.
Posted on: 2009/2/6 14:26
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

lollercoaster said:

I registered just for this comment. I'm usually a lurker, but I definitely had to get a username so I could tell you that you summed up this mentality perfectly.

That's one of the most flattering things I've ever read online

You're also right, both in that Utada's recent intentions have not necessarily been monetary driven, and that there is plenty of room for artistry and creativity in even the most mainstream of music, and Utada often demonstrates that in spades.

I do think that, though she doesn't get driven by money per se, she's certainly determined to achieve a high level of commercial success, which is just as much a factor of the "sell out" phenomenon. It's certainly why she's gunning for big-name producers on her English albums: she wants to be big and successful there. There's nothing wrong with this, I'm just struck by the hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance of fans that are indignant over it.

I've been through my share of internet fan communities of varying interests, and this kind of "fan ownership" is pretty universal. It does seem to be particularly intense on Utada sites, and I think that has a lot to do with the more sensible fans actually being in Japan and visiting Japanese fansites, so that leave us with English-speaking fans that are a combination of young and geeky, which both have pretty pretentious qualities.

Well, this has become quite the derail! I think we've covered this subject enough for now, I hope it hasn't permanently made the thread off-topic.
Posted on: 2009/2/6 12:27
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234>