123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Suroki
      Suroki
Re: Favorite Books
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 30/F
Eeeeek, lol! Two days ago, inspired by this thread, I went out and bought Norwegian Wood! I'm about halfway through, and I definitely agree with all those hearts you gave it. XD
I just wish I didn't have so much summer schoolwork to do so I could finish it in one sitting!

Speaking of which... Super-depressing thing happened on the first day of my summer writing course. The professor asked how many of us read for fun, and out of 27 people I was the only one to raise my hand. Part of me died a little, haha.
Posted on: 2009/7/6 1:26
  •  Studebaker
      Studebaker
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Yay for another Murakami fan! I haven't touched After Dark, but now and then I read some selections from Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. "Chance Traveler" has been my favorite story so far. I've also read Norweigan Wood (<333333) and after the quake.
Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:50
  •  Suroki
      Suroki
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 30/F
Quote:

Studebaker wrote:
Frankly, anything by Haruki Murakami is stellar. His style and imagery ranges from the absurd to the mundane. The techniques are not only perfect for the impressionable youth, but they're almost dreamlike and hypnotic. Reading his works are a real, and satisfying, trip.

Oh, and Natsuo Kirino's Out is brillant, too.

Oh my god. You did NOT just say that! I never thought I'd see someone else who has even heard of Haruki Murakami! He penned my favorite book, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. One of my many goals in life is actually to read all of his books. XD

I've read 4 so far! I loved After Dark and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. He really is a literary genius.

My second-favorite author is Michael Ende, who wrote The Neverending Story and the short but beautiful Momo and the Time Flower. God, I've read The Neverending Story so many times. XD
Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:26
  •  Studebaker
      Studebaker
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Frankly, anything by Haruki Murakami is stellar. His style and imagery ranges from the absurd to the mundane. The techniques are not only perfect for the impressionable youth, but they're almost dreamlike and hypnotic. Reading his works are a real, and satisfying, trip.

Oh, and Natsuo Kirino's Out is brillant, too.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 23:29
  •  dral
      dral
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M
i really like Michael Crichton's works. FYI, he's the one who wrote "Jurassic Park", "The Lost World", "Sphere", many of which are made into movies. i was eagerly waiting for his next work when he suddenly passed away (Nov 08). Shocked me that day...

Posted on: 2009/5/22 8:40
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Ohhh I LOVE Alice in Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass! Lewis Carroll was complete genius with that one!

I'm NOT a fan of Twilight - any of them. The only thing I can appreciate about the series is the fact that it's gotten more people reading.

I also read "Nikolas & Alexandra" - the Story of the Romanovs. I read that when I was like 15. I was really interested in Russian History at that point in time (I get fixated on the most random things)

OMG THAT reminds me... Has ANYONE read "The Kite Runner" or "A Thousand Splendid Suns"!? I can't remember the author.. If you haven't read them, DO. Except.. "The Kite Runner" is excruciatingly sad. The other has a happy ending.
Posted on: 2009/5/21 18:58
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
I'm reading up on this trilogy.. that has no name quite yet..

The books are called:

"The Alchemyst"
"The Magician"
and
"The Sorceress"

The action is almost non-stop in "The Alchemyst." It's about auric energy and the author is very descriptive, fusing together the modern world with Historical images, places, and people. He brings in a lot of mythological creatures and legends as well.

What i love is the humor and how things like bluetooth, World of Warcraft, Unreal tournament, citroen cars, and other things that belong in our present day.

Ahem there's also this BAD@$$ chick named Scathach (any scottish people here??) that looks 17 but is actually over 2000 years old. She's UNBEATABLE in a fight. You don't MESS with that chick...

Worth the read. You won't want to put it down.

~Edit~ uh don't click on the hyperlinked word. Not sure why it links to outlook.. or somethin.
Posted on: 2009/5/17 22:53
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
I'm reading this trilogy books "The Otori Clan"

Reading the third one now, forgot to take the pict
Posted on: 2009/5/17 21:57
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Quote:

abunai wrote:
Oh and I loooveee Memoirs of a Geisha. The movie was ok, but not so great.

I read the book too, yes i prefer the book rather than the movie, there a lot of imagination on my mind when reading the book how the environment, building , everything XD
Posted on: 2009/4/5 20:58
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Oh and I loooveee Memoirs of a Geisha. The movie was ok, but not so great.
Posted on: 2009/4/5 13:41
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>